Thread: Who wants one

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Who wants one

Wisconsin State Trooper Story - EV's

From an anonymous Wisconsin State Trooper

I'm not a fan of all electric vehicles. Too many variables affecting battery consumption. Definitely not suited for cold climates. The following experience just cements my distaste for EV's, especially Teslas.
    I get sent to a motorist assist the other day, at the start of our snowstorm. Tesla on the side of the interstate, dead battery. So, I arrive on scene and the occupants have the right-front door open. They tell me that they can't open any other doors, because the battery is dead. Sure enough. Can't open the doors from inside or outside. The driver also can't get her license out of the glove box where she put it during their trip. Because the glovebox opens electronically... and the battery is dead. You actually have to use the computer in the center of the dash to open the glovebox.
    They said they had 10% battery left, should've been plenty to get from that location to the charging station nearby. Then all of a sudden, the whole car shut off and they coasted to the shoulder.
    So now I have to find them a tow. No one wants to tow EV's. Finally found one company to do it. 8-mile trip to the charging station in Tomah. $1,000! Normal vehicle on the flatbed would've been $150.
    So now we're at the Tesla superchargers. Guess what. Can't open the f'n charging port because the battery is dead!!! The ports open, you guessed it, electronically!!!🤦🏼*♂️🤬. And we also can't open the doors now (had to close the one open door when it was loaded onto the wrecker). The owner's manual is in the on-board computer, but the battery is dead.
    I got the occupants to a store where they'd be warm while calling the rental company to figure out how to charge this POS, so I'm not sure of the outcome. I had to leave for a crash report.
    EV's may be the way, someday, but certainly not today!! I'll stick with my dinosaur burner.
    --
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Who wants one

there was a story about charging down south one poor fella was going 100 miles out of his way to charge the bloody thing? what if you are stuck in snow for a night and want heat no they are not for me i will stick to my secound car audi tdi great car all the kit heated seats phone the lot?jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At Christmas a few years ago a friend of ours drove to Heathrow to pick his daughter up His E. V. wa fully charged and in theory he had enough power for the journey there and back, a totally of 180 miles.
    He limped nto Heathrow, conserving power, heater off, radio off etc.
    He made to a charger and to wait for the car to be fully charged before venturing home.
    As an aside, I read a few weeks ago, that in very cold weather, power is diverted to the battery to keep it warm.
    Vic
    R879855

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here in the UK at the Christmas rush on the M5 people were waiting six hours plus to get to a charging point at the Service Stations. I can drive from Torquay to Whitby in my petrol driven car without refuelling in six hours including having comfort stops for my passengers, and still have fuel left in the tank. A full tank will take me 550 miles, if obeying all the speed limits, which of course I do

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by vic mcclymont View Post
    At Christmas a few years ago a friend of ours drove to Heathrow to pick his daughter up His E. V. wa fully charged and in theory he had enough power for the journey there and back, a totally of 180 miles.
    He limped nto Heathrow, conserving power, heater off, radio off etc.
    He made to a charger and to wait for the car to be fully charged before venturing home.
    As an aside, I read a few weeks ago, that in very cold weather, power is diverted to the battery to keep it warm.
    Vic
    Recent article reported on a low temperature test of about 6 sample EVs, the reduction in range ran from 26 - 32% or thereabouts.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Germany have told Brussels to re think the phasing out of the combustion engine by 2035.

Is Germany's last-minute opposition to EU car ban damaging its standing?
    The pro-business Free Democratic party’s (FDP) last-minute opposition to EU plans to ban sales of new cars with internal combustion engines from 2035, which European leaders are hoping to resolve at a summit in Brussels on Thursday and Friday, had damaged Germany’s standing in the bloc, Habeck said.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ustion-engines

They may well push to have the rules changed especially seeing as mini Macron is in the tish at home.

7. Thanks Doc Vernon, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It was a bad idea in the first place, wrecking the motor industry. They should have eased the EVs in over that period, and let the consumer decide if it's better.
    Unfortunately, they already knew the EV is a pain in the wallet for most plebs, that's why they forced it through.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How anyone can think of buying an EV here in Aus I don't know. the distances one has to travel in the country areas would mean a huge input of charging stations, then again the price of an EV is astronomical when compared to a petrol car. And as an aside they can only just keep up with the power usages now.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

10. Likes happy daze john in oz, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is a Ute from China sells at about $99,000 compared with the Ford equivalent at about $55,000, the minister for climate claims the tradies will go mad for the Chinese one, I must wonder what he is sniffing these days?
    Very little infrastructure here for them yet and like much of USA distance is the problem.

We drive about 25 to 30,000 klm a year, looked at one EV which told me the battery would last for 150,000 klm before it died.
    They may be fine around the cities, and we see a few each day, but out on the freeways none to be seen.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

12. Likes N/A, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Will stick with my 1977 Holden Torana. No computer except for the one between my ears. Sure it chews the juice but that is about the main expense unlike later cars. How many cars of today would you still be able to drive with one cylinder not firing? That was when I had a six potter but now got eight lol. Also have a 2010 commodore but that is just an about town car. Mind you I do have an EV one as well it is the shopping trolley buggy for us old geezers. Was for the sheriff but she will not use it so I do. Just enough room on it to take the grand daughter to school in the morning when it is not raining lol. Can not see ending up behind a ev car before I kark it for sure.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

14. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast