Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Who wants one

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Who wants one

There are quite a few EVs here on the Island, probably one of the few places where they can be useful, if you drive from one end to the next is 21 miles, so just short journeys. but if i had one, i would still need a conventional car for use on the mainland, so little point. My son has an EV , purchased approx 6 months ago, he lives on the mainland,, and acknowledges that it was the worst decision he has made, constant anxiety where he is going to charge it. he is not able to install a charger where he lives. Petrol and diesel vehicles are going to be with us for some time yet, just let governments dream on.
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cannot see me buying an EV soon. Think they are a rip off and the trade in values are a joke. Con job is all they are. Create a better public transport systems for inner city areas, yes use EV buses, Hydrogen powered buses are well under way several are already on test routes now.
    Go back in time and get the Trolley bus going again. Some cities have electric trams. I reckon the Trolley bus would be the way to go. There would be less disruption to the infrastructure.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post
    Cannot see me buying an EV soon. Think they are a rip off and the trade in values are a joke. Con job is all they are. Create a better public transport systems for inner city areas, yes use EV buses, Hydrogen powered buses are well under way several are already on test routes now.
    Go back in time and get the Trolley bus going again. Some cities have electric trams. I reckon the Trolley bus would be the way to go. There would be less disruption to the infrastructure.
    and a damn sight cheaper to buy and operate.

4. Likes James Curry, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    There are quite a few EVs here on the Island, probably one of the few places where they can be useful, if you drive from one end to the next is 21 miles, so just short journeys. but if i had one, i would still need a conventional car for use on the mainland, so little point. My son has an EV , purchased approx 6 months ago, he lives on the mainland,, and acknowledges that it was the worst decision he has made, constant anxiety where he is going to charge it. he is not able to install a charger where he lives. Petrol and diesel vehicles are going to be with us for some time yet, just let governments dream on.
    Be interesting for you to find out in a while Keith if those ev on the island last as heard that they do not last long when close to salt water atmosphere something about a chemical reaction with them
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sydney had trams for years, Going like a Bondi tram is an old saying about people moving fast. The Govt of the day got rid of them now years later they paid a Spanish Company $3 Billion for new trams that broke apart as soon as they hit the rails.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here in Melbourne we still have the Trams and they sure move a lot of people.

WE now have an electric bus in our town but not very big circuit.
    Few EV about but most only used local, for long runs big diesels such as land Cruisers or Patrols.

Some ships now running on gas rather than diesel for the generator power with some talk of experimenting with hydrogen for them.
    Only problem with that is the need to compress it to convert to a fluid.
    But it has been done with LPG and we have vehicles running on that it will in time happen.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, LNG carriers that have been using LNG boil off as the main fuel source for over 60 years now, they are dual fuel. Modern tonnage are now LNG fuelled but will carry low sulphur marine diesel as back up.
    There are several cruise ships either in service or under construction, Carnival have 4 on order that will be LNG fuelled.(they should now be already in service from 2021.)
    Your post has me a bit confused (Only problem with that is the need to compress it to convert to a fluid?) These ships will load LNG bunkers as a liquid and that state has to be maintained and therefore there will be a reliquefaction plant, maybe your point about compressing the LNG. The Liquid for use in the engines has to be converted to a gas again. This in all likely hood is acheived by pumping Liquid LNG through what is known as LNG vaporizer which is heated and the LNG Liquid is flashed off as a gas and then used by the engines. These engines are similar to those used in a fuel oil power vessel.
    Sorry you must be losing the will to live reading this. Just being an engineer one tends to get carrried away. I was involved in the development of the LNG powered engines that were fitted to the Norwegian ferry Glutra in 2000.

An added advantage of LNG on commercial ships by being LNG fuelled the amount of Bunkers is greatly reduced. 1 cubic metre of LNG in liquid form will generate 600 cubic metres of LNG gas. Another advantage is greatly reduced Sulfur Oxides and it reduces Nitrogen Oxide emissions

There are currently 600+ LNG ships expected to be in service by 2025.
    The French already have several Hydrogen powered ships in service or should have as they were due for delivery in 2021. These ships are for operation on the river Seine.
    Last edited by James Curry; 29th March 2023 at 11:24 AM.

9. Likes Ivan Cloherty liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Here in Melbourne we still have the Trams and they sure move a lot of people.

WE now have an electric bus in our town but not very big circuit.
    Few EV about but most only used local, for long runs big diesels such as land Cruisers or Patrols.

Some ships now running on gas rather than diesel for the generator power with some talk of experimenting with hydrogen for them.
    Only problem with that is the need to compress it to convert to a fluid.
    But it has been done with LPG and we have vehicles running on that it will in time happen.
    John, LNG is a liquid, it is super cooled to -165*C to liquify it, starts to boil off gas vapour at -163; Shell had two ships running on boil off gas in early sixties. My first LNG job was in 78, carrying 83,000 cu mtrs. Burning gas boil off from FAOP to EOP, with only a base burner (like a pilot light in a gas oven) we only burned about 3 tons a day of fuel oil, compared to about 83 tons a day for a similar sized oil fired steam ship.
    Only blew tubes once a week rather than once a day and it could be carried out anytime as there was no black sh-t out the flue.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

James, suggest you read it again.
    Not the compression of LPG, it was Hydrogen I spoke of that requires compression.

WE had here for some time vehicles manufactured to run only on LPG, and companies that would convert a normal ICE to run on it.
    But that is jsyt about gone now, new servos opening no longer have LPG bowsers.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 30th March 2023 at 05:20 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

12. Thanks James Curry thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2