Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Joining up

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Joining up

A while after i had left the Merchant Navy, i decided to try for the RAF as i had also been interested in Joining for some time, seeing as my Late Father and his Brother (My Uncle) were in the Forces, my Dad being in the South African Air Force During WW2, and his younger Brother in the RAF .

So after a few Enquiries, and a big help from my Uncle then a Squadron Leader, i was sent a letter of acceptance , which i was so pleased about.

With the Letter there were Instructions on where i would go, and a Rail Pass from Southampton to Cardington.

Well that was that, i was very excited and started to pack my few belongings for the Train trip.
    It was a lovely trip and sitting there looking at the lovely scenery that passed me by, i got lost in the beauty of the English Countryside! Not long it seemed and we arrived at Cardington. Off the Train i hopped, and was more than surprised to see that there were quite a few others like me getting off, i did not know there had been others on the Train.
    Anyway there was an RAF Truck awaiting us, and a Corporal to usher us aboard!

Did not take too too long and we were soon approaching the Gates that led into the Cardington RAF Training Barracks.

We were then ushered into the Interview Room and awaited out turn .
    I was then getting nervous not really knowing if i would pass and actually get in, but in fact there was no need to worry as it went quite smoothly and we all passed the Interview with ease!

Then it was time for the Initial Talks and all the Jargon that went with it, a bit boring but i did take note of what was said!

Soon after we were taken to another part , and then given our Medicals, which again went quite OK, no one had any real dramas.

After this was the Kit issue , and Boy that was something, it was real Military of course with everything prim and proper, given each Item and in a long line with lots to carry.

There was quite a lot more so here is a Pic of what we actually went through.
    RAF Process Routine.jpg

After all was done, we were eventually sent to our Billets to await Transfer to whichever Unit.
    Myself along with many others were sent to RAF Bridgnorth, where we underwent our 8 Week Training. It was a new experience and although pretty tough i enjoyed the entire time.
    On Completion i had the Honour of being in the Platoon that won the Passing out Trophy, that was awesome, and will never forget the Corporal who trained us , he was a very hard little Man, but in the end a great Guy! (Cpl Nimmock)

Me third Row from Bottom, and Sixth from left (Marked in Red) LOL And Dave my best mate on right of Photo also marked in Red

After this , i was then sent on to Compton Basset , where i took up my selected trade of Wireless Operator. That i passed with flying colours !

There is a lot more but would take too long.
    So that was it and 8 Months later, a group of us were sent to RAF Innsworth there to await Shipment to Aden , that being during what was known as the small wars.

Got shipped out on the Dilwara Trooper . And thats another Story! Oh Boy!!

Dilwars 1960.jpg
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 29th March 2023 at 10:08 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mark, yes the indiscriminate killing of Roos is prohibited.
    But culling by authorized persons is a different matter.
    They do pose problems for some farmers and country residents at times.

The problem is that at birth they already have in their brain info from mother, such as paths of entry which have been passed on for generations, but now some gone, freeways and housing taking their natural habitat.
    That is why so many cab be seen dead on roadsides.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

3. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John, thanks for your reply; I am not sure about indiscriminate killing, I have been living in the north west for 30+ years now, the nearest town being 400 kim away, and living of the land so to speak has always been the norm for some locals, Roo's goats and rabbits have been on the menu since year dot. We have the problem now that we are getting past going out bush and killing our own meat and the local roo shooter can't get anyone to work so he is flat out shooting/ butchering and trying to run the shop and there is not enough meat to go round. The road kill I am talking about is caused by to many cars and trucks traveling to fast on country roads at night everyone is in a hurry to be somewhere yesterday. personally I don't drive at night anymore but even in the day time we are on constant watch for roo's and emus. actually emus are worse you will notice they have a very small head and not much commonsense. Thank God the sailing season has started I can get out on the water and catch fish. Time and tide.

5. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The last two replies are not related to the Subject of Joining Up, so PLEASE do not include such posts here! Start a New Thread if you wish!

Stop NOW!!!

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    A while after i had left the Merchant Navy, i decided to try for the RAF as i had also been interested in Joining for some time, seeing as my Late Father and his Brother (My Uncle) were in the Forces, my Dad being in the South African Air Force During WW2, and his younger Brother in the RAF .

Like it Vernon. You may have seen the comedy programme GET SOME IN. RAF conscripts. This may play, if not lots on Youtube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNb7n7ebnBB

Bill.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 30th March 2023 at 09:30 PM.

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Marian Gray Guest

10. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Morrison View Post
    Like it Vernon. You may have seen the comedy programme GET SOME IN. RAF conscripts. This may play, if not lots on Youtube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNb7n7ebnBB

Bill.
    YouTube

I only get

This Video isnt available anymore Marian! ??
    Cheers

R697530

12. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Marian Gray Guest

Try my link #26 Vernon - that opens fine for me.
    Last edited by Marian Gray; 31st March 2023 at 08:30 AM.

14. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can get it on youtube uk but it won't open on this site. It's a pity a great series.
    Bill.

16. Likes N/A, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry Doc: I got blown off course. Mark.

18. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3