Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Human values

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Human values

We have been watching a UK series here in Oz, 'The Walk In', a very dramatic one at times.
    I was aware of the murder of the MP Cox some years back but never knew about the other anti-establishment persons.
    What is it that drives people to such extremes, why do they consider them selves to be superior to others?
    Thankfully the courts paid out on them, but not before so much damage and hatred had been exposed to society.

I followed that up with a movie, 'The Power of One' adapted from the Bryce Coutney novel.
    Set in South Africa between about 1930 and 1958.
    It included the beginning of Apartheid and the brutal treatment of the colored people of that nation.
    In one scene the brutal attack on civilians which may have been the massacrer that happened there many years ago, Vernon may know of it.

Both the series and the movie were for the uninitiated an eye opener of how brutal man can be to his fellow man because there is a different skin color.

Yes such has been going on since Cocky was in the Egg, but this is the 21st century, has man not learned any lessons on the acts of humanity to his fellow man?

In the end man will kill himself off with such actions, maybe not such a bad thing when you look around at the current world.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Human values

Yes unfortunately John , those things happened, and also in other Countries that sadly have not really been classed as Apartheid, swept under the Carpet!

A very bad era that was and hopefully will never be repeated!
    I know so much of the sufferings of the Coloured and Blacks there over the Years, something that many would never understand!

I dont think i have ever told that my lovely Wife, is of colour and that being mainly part of the reason we left my dear Homeland!

At the btime the Kids were in School, and if they stayed they may well have been taken later for Non Whites, but thankfully have grown up with a very very fair skin, so no one i guess would have know , but at that time i could not have taken the chance!

Irene is of dark Skin colour, but more a Sun Tan type, making her like the Polynesian Woman looks!

But thank the Lord we did make the move anyway, besides any clolour thing, as said many times, i would never have had what i do now here in Australia, its been a good Country to me and the Family!
    All 9 of my dear Wifes Family immigrated here over a few Years, and all have done extremely well!

Life goes on!
    Cheers

all sorts 12 040.jpg

Yours Truly, Irene with Bella, and a good mate Jeff on Holiday from South Africa.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 6th March 2023 at 06:30 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Those of us who went to sea, learnt very early on not to judge a person by the colour of their skin, we judged people by who they were and not as others perceived them, we have sailed with good and bad of every hue including white. I am not offended by being called 'whitey' as happened a couple of years ago when in a car park in Peckham and a Jamaican voice shouted 'Hey whitey, there's a space over here' I just shouted 'Thank you' with a thumbs up, neither was I ever offended by people calling me a 'Limey' or a 'Pom' I am not easily offended but if you kick me in the nuts, you'd better not cross the road in front of me when I'm driving!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Watched a film recently, Shepherds and Butchers, Netflix i think. Deals with aparthied. Some scenes almost unbearable to watch. Still worth a watch though.
    R635733

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John
    That might have been in Soweto.
    We were white but that didn't stop the police white and black from giving us a good kicking in Durban back in the 50s, and putting one bloke in hospital with ruptured kidneys

Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There were in that time quite a few Riots and killings all over , Joburg, Cape Town and Port Elizabeth. So hard to say which one is talked of here!

But Des mate you are quite correct in what you say, although i was lucky in Cape Town, after being caught with a Replica Pistol in an Hotel and Taken to the Cop Station , I put on a bit of an accent, as i had my Seamans ID Card with me, and those Cops were bleedin dumb, thick as a Brick! LOL
    So they just took the Pistol away and then drove me down to the Ship , and that was that, well until i had to go in front of the Captain! A really good bollocking i got too, but no bad marks ! Whew!

But there were other incidents in both Cape Town and Durban, where i was literally picked up and thrown into the Black Maria head first, full of Grog , but Ouch! it still hurt like hell! Those Boere were like bleedin Monsters, no feelings at all, all Brawn and no Brians! LOL
    Oh yes them were the days ! And would do it all again, no change!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Vernon, though you never told me I knew the reason you left Cape Town.
    I spoke once with Rene on the phone when you were in hospital, she is a lovely lady and the skin color is of no matter to me.
    As Ivan said we met all kinds in our time at sea and look at Oz now, people from 187 different nations.
    We are one of the most multicultural nations there are.
    My GP is a Fiji Indian and you could not meet a better guy, good sense of humor as well as being a first class doc, just like you LOL.
    But while some may not like those from overseas, most I aave found ae good workers, fit in and when we look at some of the home grown they are not so hot.
    So we must look at the person, not the color or where they are from.
    As we mature we begin to understand better how life has changed in so many ways since or days at sea.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 8th March 2023 at 06:56 PM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Subject: ALERTS TO THREATS IN EUROPE.

by John Cleese - British writer, actor and tall person

The English are feeling the pinch in relation to recent events in Syria and have therefore raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved." Soon, though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross." The English have not been "A Bit Cross" since the blitz in 1940 when tea supplies nearly ran out. Terrorists have been re-categorized from "Tiresome" to "A Bloody Nuisance." The last time the British issued a "Bloody Nuisance" warning level was in 1588, when threatened by the Spanish Armada.

The Scots have raised their threat level from "Pissed Off" to "Let's get the Bastards." They don't have any other levels. This is the reason they have been used on the front line of the British army for the last 300 years.

The French government announced yesterday that it has raised its terror alert level from "Run" to "Hide." The only two higher levels in France are "Collaborate" and "Surrender." The rise was precipitated by a recent fire that destroyed France 's white flag factory, effectively paralyzing the country's military capability.

Italy has increased the alert level from "Shout Loudly and Excitedly" to "Elaborate Military Posturing." Two more levels remain: "Ineffective Combat Operations" and "Change Sides."

The Germans have increased their alert state from "Disdainful Arrogance" to "Dress in Uniform and Sing Marching Songs." They also have two higher levels: "Invade a Neighbour" and "Lose."

Belgians, on the other hand, are all on holiday as usual; the only threat they are worried about is NATO pulling out of Brussels .

The Spanish are all excited to see their new submarines ready to deploy. These beautifully designed subs have glass bottoms so the new Spanish navy can get a really good look at the old Spanish navy.

Australia, meanwhile, has raised its security level from "No worries" to "She'll be alright, Mate."
    Two more escalation levels remain: ****! I think we'll need to cancel the barbie this weekend! and The barbie is cancelled." So far no situation has ever warranted use of the last final escalation level.

A final thought: " Greece is collapsing, the Iranians are getting aggressive, and Rome is in disarray. Welcome back to 430 BC".

Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Growing up in the greatest seaport that is Liverpool, no one cared about the colour of anyone's skin. It was the colour of your school blazer that was the trouble. Thankfully those days of extreme bigotry have passed.
    Brenda

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Johnno and John Cleese #9.

I feel slighted, so here's my best attempt for the USA.

#1 Where were you in our civil war?
    #2. The Yanks are coming over there.
    #3. Nuke em!
    #4. Foreign Aid.

Rodders
    Last edited by Rodney Mills; 7th March 2023 at 08:59 PM.
    Rodney David Richard Mills
    R602188 Gravesend

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast