Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: World problems

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default World problems

Look at the world today and after all the problems related to WW and others it is no better than in 1945.

War in Ukraine.
    Marchers in France protesting at new rules regarding retirement age.
    In Israel marchers protesting at the Pm concept of reducing the powers of the supreme court there.
    Rocket man sending more ICBM into space close to Japan.
    China playing with balloons they claim are harmless.
    Great turmoil in Syria not about earthquake but more to do with the president Assad.
    Many parts of South America complaining about presidents and the manner in which the nations are being run.
    In USA concerns about Biden and his age should he stand and win second term.

Meanwhile here in Oz we have a crisis off national importance that will cause major concerns for so many.,
    Due to the twice a year indexation 'Beer has just gone up by 3.7%' in price.
    This a a bloody disaster for all of us.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: World problems

Yep! It feels a bit dodgy at the moment. Just imagine China, N. Korea, and Russia, getting together to blow us all to kingdom come. They seem to be getting their heads together lately, with all the talk of using nuclear weapons with ICBMs. Maybe Biden will have a senior moment and dive in first?
    I'm getting stocked up with bottles of courage and cans of calming fluid, and I'm sorting out the "under the stairs" place of safety, just in case like.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Johnny, I am more concerned about the 3.7% tax increase on beer. China will not go nulclear, they may not do much more than threaten. The Chinese are to busy making money. They will just own the world financially. If N Korea as much as breaks wind China will tell it to behave or go hungry.
    A big concern is if China starts to seriously supply Russia with weapons. It suits them to keep the war going in Ukraine as it is keeping the west occupied. That war will end when China remove Putin or rather sponsor his removal.
    China in my opinion is now the worlds dominant power, financially and militarily, Western Greed have made them so.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That’s quite a hike John. Yesterday,my pint increased by 20p, not by taxation but profiteering landlords. Nobody protested, no pickets outside and of course no discussion re world crisis, but maybe a comment about the obscene wages paid to the striker who just scored another goal on the pub tv. Used to be the only pleasure of a working man was his beer and fags and all else happened far away, although these days it’s best to avoid the fags.
    R635733

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ref4, what does that mean for a pint John, down here its now common to pay £5 and more for a pint of beer, my answer to it is, i refuse to pay it, which in turn means i don't go to the pub for a meal with the wife. Much cheaper to have a take`away and a can from the supermarket. i don't know how it compares to years ago, ie price of a pint to average hourly pay. basic wage now is, i think, £10.30 per hour, or two pints of beer in a pub. kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most Friday nights my Grandson takes me to a pub in Essex. His pint, some fancy lager, costs £6 and mine, an IPA smooth, costs £2.95.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You will get no where near that price here, lucky if you can get a pint of bitter for £4.80, i was up in Shropshire a few months ago, and amazed the price for a pint of bitter there, compared to here, so wonder who's jacking the price up by area ?, its certainly not wages, here on the Island very poor wages, and would guess most bar staff on minimum wage or very close.kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The pub in Essex is the only place I've seen such a cheap pint. Most of the beers in there are about £4-£5, so it's probably a one off.

9. Thanks Keith Tindell thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most of the posts on this could have been written in the depression in 32, maybe its the depression of 23.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When we took on our first pub in 1975 a pint was 42.5 pence.
    Here in Oz twice a year the price of grog and smokes goes up by the underlying rate of inflation.

Not like UK where if I recall it goes up under the annual budget.

But as one correspondent put it,

"Beer is the life blood of this nation and to increase the price twice a year is UnAustralian, the blood suckers in Canberra should find some other way to find money"

Last year in London the cheapest pint we found was 5GBP but average was around 7 or so, but one bar in Soho I was informed by a sucker traveler was charging 20GBP per pint.
    Also he said they paid some 35GBP for two G&T.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast