Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Putin V the West

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Putin V the West

#20.I for one like a Nato alliance where EACH member state still has jurisdiction over it's own forces.

There will come a day when the UK will have to hand over control of it's own forces. That control will pass to the USA as they have tools to protect Europe from Russian agression. Now the big question is will the USA be prepared to put American troops on the ground in large numbers? Personally I doubt they will.

2. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post
    Only this week a US general stated that the UK armed forces are no longer a top level fighting force.
    Wasn't it in 1939 that Joseph Kennedy the USA ambassador to Eire stated that Britain will be shortly defeated by Hitler. Also an American general as a then nuetral observer in North Africa said that Montgomery had no chance of defeating Rommel and to send more equipment would be a waste of resources.

Can't believe everything the Yanks tell you!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thought he was Ambassador to the UK Ivan , thanks for being put right if your correct.Think I put post long ago when his son was president , that just prior to his assassination I was in a bar in Baton Rouge and someone said to me if he ever came across the Maison Dixie line he wouldnt be going home again .He was never the flavour of the month in the Southern States and when watched the news in 1963 on getting home and watching George Brown crying on tv it brought it all back to me. Cheers JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 2nd February 2023 at 01:33 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It was a Churchill quote while addressing the Canadian Parliament. He had been told by the surrendering French Marshall Phillip Petain in 1940 that in '3 weeks time England would have Her neck rung like a chicken' Alluding to that as part of a much longer speech He said 'Some chicken, some neck.' Ottawa 30/12/ 1941

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#21 You may be right. At the moment I think it is mere wishful thinking on your part.
    Last edited by john walker; 2nd February 2023 at 03:19 PM.

7. Thanks Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Thought he was Ambassador to the UK Ivan Cheers JS.
    You may be correct John, My info was that he was in Dublin when he said it, but he was of course another of these psuedo Irishmen who hated the English because of the potato famine, another one like Obama if whose forbears hadn't left the old sod would never have reached the positions they held, but would be digging a new crop of potatoes and up their balls in peat. (and Pete if he wasn't careful!)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember where I was in 1962. My first wife and I had just emigrated to Los Angeles, California from Canada I had just finished work as a sauce cook at the former Ambassador Hotel, home of the famous night club to the Hollywood stars The Coconut Grove I was home at about I.15pm. I was on the morning shift.

My wife was all upset at the news on the radio (we didn't own a tv.). She asked me what we were going to do? I told her to get her swimsuit, as I am going surfing. So we took the bus to Santa Monica and that's what we did (she sunbathed). Bearing in mind I was 22 and my wife 21. I just couldn't believe our world was coming to an end. It meant every US and Soviet senator, congressman, and soviet commissar etc. plus the heads of state and all there families were willing to commit suicide by nuke...not a chance.

P.s. surf was up.

Cheers, Rodney
    Rodney David Richard Mills
    R602188 Gravesend

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#22 as John says Joesph Kennedy was US ambassador to the UK. He also lost his eldest son in WW2.
    #25 Why would it be wishful thinking on my part?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post
    Only this week a US general stated that the UK armed forces are no longer a top level fighting force. .
    Just a little bit more which I hope the General reads. In a report issued this week by the State Department, the US Navy is in trouble, two out of six classes of warships from destroyers to supply vessels are being cannabilised for spare parts for the other four in each class as us suppliers are way behind in production of equipment for the Navy.

Meanwhile the same report advises that China is now the largest naval fleet in the world and can commission a destroyer in less than 12 months from keel laying.

In a separate report, the Jones Act designed to protect USA shipbuilding/seafarers/ merchant vessels has been bypassed as 60 large non USA built vessels have been bare-boat chartered in and put under the American flag to enable the military to meet minimum transport requirements. The USA has one of the oldest Merchant fleets in the world and do not meet all of the 19 areas of competence or safety/construction/record keeping/rule compliance etc required by the IMO.

Guess the American General should move out of his glass house and stop throwing stones

12. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In the news today, a speech by Putin yesterday continuing with his claim that there are still Nazi in Ukraine and they must be removed.
    Still making threats about nuclear weapons and declaring the west will pay for all the goods they are supplying to Ukraine.
    Then showed troops getting ready to go to war, most looked extremely young, is he running out of regulars?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

14. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast