Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: my collection over the years

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Angry my collection over the years

i have been an avid ship collector for 59 years - be it books - magazines - models - memorabilia bric a brac and sometimes plain crap - if it had a ship or ship related logo on it - i collected it - awhile back on a local shipping site i offered some of my stuff up for sale - got a few responses and then .................................................. ......nothing - i am moving house shortly from a 2 bed house to a small sea side flat - by the Grace of God's Will I hope to be in by Sep 2023 ! my move is from up country - in fact 700 km from the sea - so here's the story - i put and article on my local ship sites on facebook - telling people i want to GIVE ALL my shipping paraphernalia to anyone who might be interested in my collection - on the basis that they must come COLLECT at their expense FROM my house - as what with sifting thru other stuff - i have to get rid of in the home - i have no time to pack and dispatch - and that they must take the whole lot - not just one or 2 items - true to human nature - i still got people asking for specific items and or they would cover courier costs of say books if i would dispatch - this after i had made it CLEAR its on a come fetch basis only ! - ITS FOR FREE GRATIUS MAHALA - whats left would be donated to a charity shop and the rest goes into the dumpster ! my collection is all 2nd hand stuff i have collected over the years and its not exactly museum quality - barring some books which i know to be both expensive and rare - which i will keep

yet i now get 3 emails to ask if i would mind just send selective items !!!!!

i still do not understand how humans minds work at times or even if they can READ at all!
    Last edited by Bryan Portwig; 26th December 2022 at 10:39 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: my collection over the years

Ah! Bryan
    As you say its Human Nature, most of the time not because they cannot read, but just because they like to either take a chance or plain Annoy a Person that posts things to give away like you have !

But lets hope that there may be the odd Sod out there who really like in your past Years has the urge or interest in such goods, and will rock up at your Door to relieve you from your rather which sounds like a large collection, be it good or garbo! LOL

I hope that your move goes well, and that you get settled in your new Home , heres wishing you good luck, and a Happy change in your surrounds!

Think you will miss the lovely Ocean though!

Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

thanks - i am moving from the country to the sea - looks like you misread my note - or did i word it wrong - a note on the collection - have 2 people who want to take the lot - lock stock and barrel !

4. Likes Denis O'Shea, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up Re: my collection over the years

What a coincidence Bryan.I too will be on the move,but from the city to the coast,hopefully in late Jan or early Feb,having been let down by a buyer on December 15th after four months of inaction by his solicitor-he just said,via my solicitor-" I have decided I don't want to go now "! My first thought was an unpleasant four letter word, which I had rarely used since I was last at sea more than 30 years ago( yes,there are quite a few I know,but just pick any one,-all will suffice.) I picked myself up off the deck and contemplated opening a veritable vat of 4 Bells,or maybe even 8 Bells,but 2 days later my residential estate manager here put me in touch with a waiting prospective cash buyer ,and a deal was struck. A nice pick me up Christmas present! It still means that due to the 'abandoned' transaction that I will have to pay some of those solicitor's charges,but my solicitor says it won't be excessive as most of the searches etc.were already done for my property. Thank goodness for the new buyer,otherwise I think I would have just taken to my bunk ,in a blue funk, until Chrimbo was over !

Back to the main point-I too have many years of nautical memorabilia,mainly magazines,and tried advertising them as a job lot,even describing the index numbers, condition,and years of publication, It was buyer collects,as I really can't be bothered packing them all up,calculating postage,finding a courier etc. That was on E-Bay-and just like yourself I got enquiries about individual items,when I distinctly emphasized in the Ad it was a Job Lot and Buyer collects!Wouldn't you think though that a dealer or suchlike would have bought them and either collected them or arranged courier pickup and delivery?...

So,they'll now be moving to the seaside with me,and I may try again-they're not doing any harm. They can spend their days up in the loft at my new place,when ,my family can deal with it when I cock my toes .
    I also find,in general,that buyers are ever so tight,and want 'summat for nowt'-you've only got to watch daytime auction programmes on TV,like Bargain Hunt. Sometimes I only have to look at the make up of the auction audience participants to think there's no chance here,look at those punters,usually old weather-beaten pinched mean faces,hands firmly in pocket,a bit like Yorkshiremen ,ha ha,--I can say that 'cos,originally I was born on t'other side 'o Pennines in Lancashire and we never forget them Wars of Roses-which has 'nowt'to do 'wi. fighting and diving into that scrumptious tin of toffees and chocolates made by Cadbury's , for one's particular favourite so popular at this season of the year. Oh dear, instant diabetes though!

No it's all wanting 'summat for nowt' these days.

Merry Christmas!
    GrahamXmas PC (2).gif
    Last edited by Graham Shaw; 27th December 2022 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Tartifying prose

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cappys a Yorkshire Man now , took to it like a duck to water. JS..He won’t even accept reversed charges on the telephone .
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 27th December 2022 at 01:57 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Portwig View Post
    thanks - i am moving from the country to the sea - looks like you misread my note - or did i word it wrong - a note on the collection - have 2 people who want to take the lot - lock stock and barrel !
    Yes sorry i did misread the Text!
    So to be by the Sea will be a great change , and for the better i am sure!

Best Wishes, and glad to hear there is someone interested in taking to lot!
    Cheers

R697530

8. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi graham - i am moving from up country down to the sea - did no one read it right ?

a few years back our house was on sale - we found a confirmed buyer - and then would you believe it after a week of confirmation of sale - we were told it had fallen thru - DUE TO THE BUYER HAVING TO MUCH CREDIT debt ! ? first time i had heard of such a thing - it turns out she had to much credit cards and other debt - which she could and apparently did meet - but the banks did not want to overextend her credit - maybe my old age has got my brain on freeze burn out ? as i did not and still do not know what it meant - even the agent who sold the house had never heard of it ? - not to worry we managed to get a 2nd buyer within a 2 week frame - who offered us a cash buy - which we took and everything worked out in the end

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Graham Shaw liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

funny thing - the net never eases to amaze me - re the above items on offer - - low and behold i get a reply from a chap not 60 km from where i stay who is interested in my things - wary i started to become and then he he shares his passion with corresponding images of exactly the same fleet of ships i am into namely union castle line - and without asking will make a donation to the local SPCA cause he is an animal rescue chap and i had made mention i had lost my jack russel - who was put down at the age of 16.5 years - - i had her cremated - and he would donate in memory of her - NICE BLOODY GESTURE !

12. Likes Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have put a lot of stuff on Facebook Market place. The one thing that annoys me is , can you send me the dimensions. Ah!!! read the advert,yes but the dimensions are in cm's. Well, us an app and convert to imperial measurements.

Buyer collects!!!! can you deliver?

Would you take a £10 for it? no it is on at £75, I will take £65. How about £15. How about you eff off and stop wasting my time.

14. Likes Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Grand Fleet of Ships Union Castle , both Passenger and Cargo they had lovely lines to them. Was the Company i was with, and loved it!

I dont by any means have such collections, but do have some Small Items that i have Bought along the Years. Just one to mention is a lovely Book about the UCL with lots of great Pics !

UCL Hard Cover Book.
    UCL Hard Cover Book.JPG

Cheers.

R697530

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast