Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: To vote or not to vote that is the question

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default To vote or not to vote that is the question

In NZ, the land of the long white cloud and good looking sheep a group of 16 year old's took their case to the high court.
    Claiming they should be allowed to vote as 'Climate Change' would effect them in the future.

The high court ruled that by not being allowed to vote they were being denied their basic civil rights.

But in NZ you have to be 18 to drive, drink and smoke.

Does that mean if the law is changed 16 year old's having the vote could be conscripted in the event of war.

Yes I know some as young as 14fudged their age and joined up inWW2, but times were very different then.

Have the group who instigated this considered all the facts, I wonder?

Now here in Oz, having seen that in NZ the 'Greens' intend in the new year to introduce a similar bill here.

But then again in some countries it is legal for females to be married as young as 10!!!!!!

Here in Oz and many other Western countries such men would be seen as pedophiles'.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 23rd November 2022 at 05:56 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: To vote or not to vote that is the question

In our youth you could be called up for National Service at the age of 18 but could not vote until you were 21. From what I have observed in the actions of many young people these days the age of being able to vote should revert to 21. Mothers are still taking their kids to school at aged 13/14, the schools within walking distance as evidenced in winter by the dew still on the car windows, it would not surprise me if the mothers were still not breast feeding them!

There is talk here of reducing the voting age to 16 which would be utterly irresponsible, even for us oldies who went to sea at 16 and even earlier, we saw the world, but did not have enough knowledge of life to cast a vote that may not only change our own lives, but would inevitably change the lives of others, but not always for the better. Voting is not a game, it is a privilege to be used when you have reached an age of responsibility, which only time will ensure.

By the way, some Universities have advised the poem 'The Ancient Mariner' should have a 'trigger warning' for students, these are students from anything from 18 -26 years old.

For those not aware, a trigger warning is a note on a book that it may contain upsetting material, such as the killing of the albatross, Robinson Crusoe also has a trigger warning

I rest my case!
    Last edited by Ivan Cloherty; 23rd November 2022 at 09:02 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    In our youth you could be called up for National Service at the age of 18 but could not vote until you were 21. From what I have observed in the actions of many young people these days the age of being able to vote should revert to 21. Mothers are still taking their kids to school at aged 13/14, the schools within walking distance as evidenced in winter by the dew still on the car windows, it would not surprise me if the mothers were still not breast feeding them!

There is talk here of reducing the voting age to 16 which would be utterly irresponsible, even for us oldies who went to sea at 16 and even earlier, we saw the world, but did not have enough knowledge of life to cast a vote that may not only change our own lives, but would inevitably change the lives of others, but not always for the better. Voting is not a game, it is a privilege to be used when you have reached an age of responsibility, which only time will ensure.
    Merely being over the age of 21 is no indicator whatsoever of the maturity of an individuals mind, nor their ability to consider and comprehend complex issues. I know just as many wallopers aged 60 plus as a I do aged less than 20, the prime difference being the latter are rarely anywhere near as entrenched in their views as the former. The ability to maintain some semblance of an open mind is absolutely essential to any healthy democracy, otherwise we simply have political parties pandering to prejudices left and right rather than doing the right thing for rights sake - this being a situation that we're currently edging ever closer towards.
    There is no mechanism currently in place to prevent from voting those that are mentally disturbed or simply not mentally competent, nor those with degenerative conditions such as dementia or alzheimers. Surely if one group of people are to be excluded from voting because of their alleged mental inability then those with an actual confirmed mental inability should also be prevented from doing so?
    To borrow a phrase from the US, "no taxation without representation" therefore should those of a certain age be disenfranchised then it's only fair that they be exempt from income tax and indeed prohibited from acts such as marriage, joining the forces etc (which they still can at 16).

It does always make me chuckle when some castigate the young for their views or actions.They are not a group which has unilaterally chosen their own path, they are a product of their home environment. Therefore if someone has something to say about problem with a young person, perhaps look at their parents or grandparents -- the "blame" lies there.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just knew you would rise to the occasion, well done.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    I just knew you would rise to the occasion, well done.
    yes ivan a definite hook line and sinker ......put out more bait please....the reply was mind blowingly retorical clap trap ......R683532

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Simple answer is, set an exam for everyone from 16 to the age of 80 see if they have enough common sense to vote. Exam should be taken again every 10 years. (Seafarers have to get certificates of competency revalidated every 5 years) so why not the electorate. Those who wish to become an MP must have a minimum of 10 years in a full time job. Also no MP should be allowed to seek re election after the age of 70.
    House of Lords should be abolished and replaced with an Elected assembly. The election for the assembly should take place at the same time as the election for Parliament.
    Ministers of state like the Chancellor, Health etc should have a degree in economics , health. They should not get the job just because they are the PM's best mate.

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In the need to employ working folk over the years which ran into many hundreds ......i found it very interesting that even for the most simple tasks employed by older and younger folk ......i never came across an older person who could not read or indeed write .......yet the number of school leavers applying for jobs was unbelievable from the point of how many could not do simple addition .......and in many cases read or even write ......i will never believe that a sixteen year old should be allowed to vote in a general election.....but then again in this country today NOTHING would suprise me....R683532

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well if they cannot read or write problem solved they would not be able to take or pass the exam.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    In the need to employ working folk over the years which ran into many hundreds ......i found it very interesting that even for the most simple tasks employed by older and younger folk ......i never came across an older person who could not read or indeed write .......yet the number of school leavers applying for jobs was unbelievable from the point of how many could not do simple addition .......and in many cases read or even write
    You're talking about kids that have been failed by their parents and the system, you are however hopelessly out of date.

Show me a 16 year old today who can neither read or write; you'd be exceptionally hard pressed to find one for the simple reason that such an inability would make a smart phone entirely useless to them.
    When was the last time you saw a youngster without one?

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#7 At 16 Cappy is barely time for the hole in the top of their head they are born with , to heal.for some of them . I was always terrified when I picked my kids up as was drummed isn’t me as had younger siblings and my own kids about the holes in baby’s heads at what age the hole closed I never did find out . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 23rd November 2022 at 11:49 AM.
    R575129

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast