Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: P&O ferries

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default P&O ferries

The only seafarer to turn down a payoff when P&O Ferries sacked more than 800 workers without notice has won a claim for unfair dismissal against the shipping giant.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...e7834a217915cb

The chief executive Peter Hebblethwaite was widely condemned for the action but received support from the Dubai parent company.

The repercussions continue for the company. This week the US Congress Transport and Infrastructure Committee wrote to organisers of the Interferry Conference being staged in Seattle, asking for Mr Hebblethwaite to be uninvited from the event.

"His participation puts a stain on the reputation of the Interferry Conference," wrote chairman Peter DeFazio.

The executive, whose basic annual salary is £325,000, also said the average pay of the agency crew was £5.50 per hour.

While this was below the UK's national minimum wage of £9.50 per hour, he insisted this was permitted under international maritime laws.

There was fresh condemnation this week as the Dubai-based owner of the ferry operator, DP World, said it had made a profit of $£884m (£736m) over the six months to the end of Jun

P&O admitted that it had failed to properly follow employment law and said it had offered enhanced payoffs to workers to reflect their actions.

P&O ferries should be banned from operating from UK ports .

What action have the Government taken against P&O bugger all by the looks of it

Earlier in the week, the boss of the ferry operator's Dubai-based owner DP World, Sultan Ahmed bin Sulayem, told the Financial Times that it was too late to reverse the job cuts, adding that the government "can't do anything now" as the decision was in the past.

So basically DP world have given the UK government the finger. If ever there was a case for Union membership and strong leadership it is now.
    Last edited by James Curry; 30th September 2022 at 10:18 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: P&O ferries

The thing with agency workers, is that they're employed in whatever country they come from, and receive excellent wages compared to wages at home. They would kill to get a job on US or EU boats.
    They don't have mortgages to pay in the UK, their wages are paid into their own systems, their cost of living is based on India, or the Philippines.
    P&O claim that the P&O Ferry co. is nothing to do with them anymore and they are not like that with employees. They did the same thing many years back, their cruise ships are banged out with cheap agency labour, but nothing was done about that. They even have a few Eastern Europeans among the crews now.
    It's the fatcats that rule, nobody else.

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The other consequence of P+O's decision was to break the only direct passenger link between the UK and Belgium.
    The loss of the Hull -Zeebrugge link was permanent , it destroyed many lives , including mine.

5. Likes Doc Vernon, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Remember all those govt. ministers with their screams of outrage when this was going on. As usual as time went on they lost interest until we get to the present situation where P &O management have got away with it. All ordinary folk can do is boycott P&O sailing gs and book with DFDS or Irish Ferries instead.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know about who crews DFDS but I do know Irish Ferries are manned from Cyprus Matrix ship management. The crews and some officers are eastern european.
    #4 as you say you never hear a peep from government now. Last I heard was Grant Shapps said the P&O agency staff should be paid the UK minium wage.
    As for the RMT union they soon disappeared bigger fish to fry with the Railways. The dock workers union Unite should have backed the ships crews.

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post
    I don't know about who crews DFDS but I do know Irish Ferries are manned from Cyprus Matrix ship management. The crews and some officers are eastern european.
    #4 as you say you never hear a peep from government now. Last I heard was Grant Shapps said the P&O agency staff should be paid the UK minium wage.
    As for the RMT union they soon disappeared bigger fish to fry with the Railways. The dock workers union Unite should have backed the ships crews.
    I was a regular on DFDS N.Shields to Ijmuiden for several years up to about 2014/15, crew was Phillipino and Danish officers, the ones that I actually came across that is.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by johnny kieran View Post
    the thing with agency workers, is that they're employed in whatever country they come from, and receive excellent wages compared to wages at home. They would kill to get a job on us or eu boats.
    They don't have mortgages to pay in the uk, their wages are paid into their own systems, their cost of living is based on india, or the philippines.
    P&o claim that the p&o ferry co. Is nothing to do with them anymore and they are not like that with employees. They did the same thing many years back, their cruise ships are banged out with cheap agency labour, but nothing was done about that. They even have a few eastern europeans among the crews now.
    It's the fatcats that rule, nobody else.
    supply and demand rules.... Where were the united union battalions .....filling there gold plated executive pension funds....we are all responsible for our own destiny ...that is our most treasured asset .....freedom....r683532

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well Cappy as you say supply and demand, but what do you do with those people who are not in demand and cannot get a job ? just let them starve?
    What will happen if there is another war, which is very likely. Will that be down to supply and demand or conscription. For to long the UK has been selling it's soul what happens when there is nothing left to sell. Do you think it is fair that a worker on a low income gets a top up benifit to give them a living wage. I agree that a lot of employers cannot afford to pay a living wage due to perhaps their market or low profit margins.

12. Thanks cappy, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Put them on subsistence like seamen used to get with their holiday pay ? R 575129
    R575129

14. Likes cappy, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by james curry View Post
    well cappy as you say supply and demand, but what do you do with those people who are not in demand and cannot get a job ? Just let them starve?
    What will happen if there is another war, which is very likely. Will that be down to supply and demand or conscription. For to long the uk has been selling it's soul what happens when there is nothing left to sell. Do you think it is fair that a worker on a low income gets a top up benifit to give them a living wage. I agree that a lot of employers cannot afford to pay a living wage due to perhaps their market or low profit margins.
    of course they should not starve ......that is why we pay taxes and give a benefit system ....it is the system being abused .......i have as stated before had many young folk coming for jobs who couldnt read or write that after billions paid on education ..... Of which we had already paid taxes towards ..no one has the right to be looked after from cradle to grave by the government ......except disabled or other minorities.....have you just recently stated you had taken a job in retirement weather that is financial or boredom i dont know .....but there are jobs to be had ......but anyone expecting to get a living wage on a 32 hour week is taking the piss...that is my view r683532

16. Likes j.sabourn, happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast