Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: London and other places

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: London and other places

How much fresher and cleaner did the air smell during lockdown? Not only that but the near on silence due to the lack of traffic. No strimmers going wild flowers growing and the birds & Bees enjoying the planet. Maybe time I stopped smoking that wacky backy

This morning I was out picking some of my tomatoes and noticed some had been half eaten, strange I thought as there are no grubs or other beasties evident on the plants. I have just been having my morning coffee in te conservatory. Heard a right old racket going on over by my veggie patch. It was a couple of Black birds fighting in the Tomatoe plants. Got it sussed now. The bird bath is bone dry so they must be eating the tomatoes to get the moisture. I suppose the poor things are having trouble finding water to drink.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post
    How much fresher and cleaner did the air smell during lockdown? Not only that but the near on silence due to the lack of traffic. No strimmers going wild flowers growing and the birds & Bees enjoying the planet. Maybe time I stopped smoking that wacky backy

. I suppose the poor things are having trouble finding water to drink.
    I put out a small animal water dispenser, holds about two or three litres of water, and lasts for several days. I used to put bowls out but they evaporated as much as was taken by the birds.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 14th August 2022 at 08:04 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You're not kidding about the peace and quiet James. We always have noisy planes flying over, and stacking for the London airports, but during the lockdown we experienced a silence we've never known before. It's starting to get back to normal now, not quite there yet, but they are trying.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We have had flocks of what we call rain birds flying in, Real name Currawongs, they make a racket in the morning, they usually herald in the Spring, today a nice sunny morning but still on the cold side, but what the hell We will take anything that looks like it will be warmer.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

5. Likes Doc Vernon, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Front and back gardens water for the birds all year long.
    Put out food as well and now have a pet Raven who comes for food, one of last years chicks and is very cute.
    Here where we live there was little difference apart from the lack of aircraft overhead. love that sound, but the birds are always here.
    Yes my veggie patch gets takes some stick at times from the birds, but a bit of fruit tree netting keeps most off.

Flocks of Sulphur Crested Cockatoos around just now as well as Corellas, a bird that will eat just about anything, even the outer plastic on wiring is not safe from them.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Les old Fella
    If you go to the Scuttlebutt Chat , and post there it is a way of having some of your old time Fun, as long as its above Board though! By that i mean within the Rules, and not too much of the bad language. But one can at least post a few things there that would otherwise be taken off or moved!
    Have Fun, but go carefully!.
    Cheers
    That is just the problem mate. "RULES". Lets face it we also had rules on number five but they where made by each and every crew so very lax and one soon adapted to the rules of that particular ship for sure. Was not restricted to deck crew though we where predominant there. Recall on the Port Macquarie the baker would not come out on deck at smoko because he got pelted with rock cakes that we had served up to us each and every fecking day while those up top got the good crap. On a Manz run at the time so there for a while
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

8. Likes Doc Vernon, cappy, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Without Rules Les this World would be a Total mess, worse than it is now anyway!
    Lets face it we have enough space for all kinds of Chat here, and if there is something that needs to be aired, then Scuttlebutt is at least a place to Air it.

This Ship like many others has its Rules, and the Scuttlebutt is the Hatch to be . LOL
    cHEERS
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

10. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Les
    I was on a tanker with the worst skipper I ever sailed with, we had Xmas going through the Suez and h asked the second cook and baker to make the saloon a Xmas cake, wasn't worried about the rest of us, George made two cakes one for Aft and on for the saloon which he kicked all around the Galley deck until it was solid, can't remember if he was logged or not but he definitely enjoyed it. Every other ship I was on all the crews got on, some maybe a little better than others, but that was what going to sea was all about friendship.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

12. Thanks Tony Taylor, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4