Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Terrible Coincidence.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Terrible Coincidence.

Considering the three disasters discussed in this topic-
    JWS will remember Piper Alpha for life as he was in command of the standby vessel Silver Pit the crew of which rescued thirty one people from the raging sea during the entire time the the disaster lasted.
    Fouro (myself) will always remember Pan Am flight 103 as I was one of a team who searched passengers and their luggage on this particular flight on several occassions when Terminal three was the main international terminal at Heathrow.
    As for the Hyde Park bombing I will always remember it as I am a life member of the Royal Dragoon Guards.
    I would point out that the Household Cavalry is made up of two regiments, one of which is the 1st Royal Dragoon Guards.
    Regards from
    Fouro.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#12. Wife and myself were in Buckingham Palace in 1991 Fouro. At the head of the main staircase leading into the ballroom was the figure of a horse guardsman in the red uniform with drawn sword. Due to the immobility of the person I thought it was a statue, so did my wife apparently as she was standing beside him waiting for me coming up the staircase. She nearly jumped out of her skin when the figure blew a wisp of material off his hat away from his mouth. Don’t know how long he had to stand like that , but think about 2 minutes would of been my limit. The Queens cavalry guards were I believe the reds and the blues to distinguish them apart , is this correct ? Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re # 13.
    Firstly John, let me congratulate you on being invited to the Palace to receive your award. The horse guardsman you refer to was most probably a Life Guard. This regiment being the oldest cavalry regiment in the British army. I stand to be corrected but I am confident in saying this regiment wears red uniforms. They form part of the Household Cavalry with the Blues (Royal Horse Guards) and 1st Royal Dragoons which were merged in 1969. The Queen is Colonel in Chief of the Blues and Royals. Although they work together as the Household Cavalry, the two regiments stick to their own traditions and uniforms.
    Regards from
    Fouro

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello everyone,
    Speaking about traditions of the Household Cavalry regiments, I would like to point out, if you look at the upper part of the left sleeve of the Blues and Royals uniform you will see the eagle of the 105th French regiment is worn. This was captured at the battle of Waterloo in 1815 by the 1st Dragoons regiment.

Regards from
    Fouro.

7. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is that a cloth insignia or worn as a broach type of Medal Fouro.? Not many people would know that unless they followed military lore. That is how we all learn from others , thank you. JS

Do you know anything about the side party of Ghurkas she often has around her at ceremonial events.? JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 23rd July 2022 at 07:42 AM.
    R575129

9. Thanks Fouro thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The regimental arm badge of the Blues and Royals is a cloth badge. The eagle and number 105 are embroidered on to a navy cloth background.
    Regards from
    Fouro.

11. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Correct John.
    Those on horse back in Whitehall have to stand for one hour at a time.
    Watch the stupid tourists try to pat the horse, they do bite and kick, and the even more stupid things hey say to the guard on the horse.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

13. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fouro. Your posts # 13 & 14 re, the Royal Dragoon Guards and the capture of the Eagle of the 105th French Regiment. By chance I came across this interesting article on Youtube. I recalled you had mentioned this in a post lately and if you have never seen it, you may be of interest. My interest in Waterloo is the 92nd regiment of foot ( The Gordon Highlanders ).
    Bill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-xhRXtHga0

15. Likes James Curry, Doc Vernon, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Purely fiction but a book I found enteraining. I think the author has borrowed historical fact and in his book Sharpes Eagle by Bernard Cornwell easy read and like all the Sharpe books enjoyable.

17. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2