Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: It's an age thing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default It's an age thing

They say with age comes knowledge and wisdom.
    At 16 I could
    Add and subtract fractions
    Solve quadratic equations
    Explain the principles of the van de Graf generator
    Do chemical formula
    Draw a world map naming all continents
    Explain alluvial planes
    Write an essay on British history
    Do 2d technical drawings
    By age 21
    Could recite all the collision regulations parrot fashion
    Work out great circle and thumb line sailings
    Calculate amount of cargo to load in order to comply with load line regulations, crossing zones.
    By age 30
    Had developed ship handling skills
    Crew management
    Computer use

Plus much other, often useless knowledge and wisdom.
    So with age does come knowledge and wisdom.

But

Even now, how come, although being right handed, I always put on and take off, my left shoe and sock
    Always put my left leg through underpants first
    Still cannot understand the meaning behind the IKEA advertisement
    What women really want? Despite being married for 40 plus years and having two grown up daughters
    So I guess we never stop gaining knowledge however old we are but wisdom? Not too Shure,
    Wisdom tells us that excessive alcohol leads to foolishness and hangover but does it stop us..,no
    Wisdom tells us to never argue about house decoration with the wife but we still argue over paint colours despite knowing that the colour she wants is the colour you will be applying.
    If only wisdom with age taught it's pointless to argue with the wife.
    Rgds
    J.A.
    p.s. wisdom tells me others will be able to add more nuggets of knowledge and wisdom.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: It's an age thing

Ref. The But part.... I wear slip on shoes or shoes with elastic laces , as to socks never wear them unless going to some social do that requires I wear , and then have to ask the wife to please put them on for me. As to putting legs through trouser holes if I stand on one leg will probably fall over so have to sit down and then it’s Enie meanie Miny moe. I never argue with the wife I just take my hearing aids out and pretend I can’t hear her. If she tries deaf and dumb language I say I learned semaphore instead. With age comes memories only , the future looks bleak so just think of the bad parts of the past. And think of all the things did wrong . Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I found an ingenious way of getting my trousers on. I put a cord through the button hole on the waist flap tensioner. I lay my trousers flat on my bedroom carpet and I firstly put my right leg into the trouser leg, 1 then pull the cord up pulling my trousers up. I then lay my trousers on the carpet again and carry out the same proceedure with the left leg and hey presto it's good to independent not having to ask anyone to put my trousers on.

Fouro.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

JA, I think I've posted before the two most important words to avoid having losing squabbles with Senior Management are YES DEAR, Rgds Den

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fouro View Post
    I found an ingenious way of getting my trousers on. I put a cord through the button hole on the waist flap tensioner. I lay my trousers flat on my bedroom carpet and I firstly put my right leg into the trouser leg, 1 then pull the cord up pulling my trousers up. I then lay my trousers on the carpet again and carry out the same proceedure with the left leg and hey presto it's good to independent not having to ask anyone to put my trousers on.

Fouro.
    Fouro. It may be a bit late for you now but a kilt may solve the problem. I haven't worn one since I was five years old to an aunts wedding and have no intensions of starting now.
    Bill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes it's well late now Bill and looking at the sorry state my legs are in, I would be more suited to wearing Trews.

Regards from
    Fouro.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Its a good job there’s no Ballet dancers amongst us. JS. Pzzz artists and comedians excepted . JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 24th March 2022 at 01:31 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Its a good job there’s no Ballet dancers amongst us. JS. Pzzz artists and comedians excepted . JS.
    Engineers down below in engine rooms got themselves into some spectacular positions when rushing to repair breakdowns. I don't think ballet dancers would have coped with such hazards.

Fouro.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was thinking more of their tights Fouro, and the rush of getting them on. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A few years ago I watched a program from the UK that showed some older actors who had lost their dexterity, they were given lessons on how to put on their socks while sitting down, and even moving around a kitchen using chairs as an aid. I was a bit stunned as these people were only in their sixties. I can stand on one leg and put on my socks and shoes, then get dressed in the normal way. My wife says it is because i was always doing something, I never stopped, gardening, making things, walking etc. Now that my wife has trouble with her legs I do everything around the house except the washing. Though I do confess I have given away the lawn cutting, I pay a mate to do it.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

11. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast