Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: It's an age thing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: It's an age thing

Maybe he forgot he had put both legs down the one leg , to leave the other trouser leg free for the Rum bottle. JS

Talking about the abusement of alcohol , when I joined a ship in a post earlier re the ex Irish Elm , there was no mate there , just a cargo of Copra a befrazzled master an Indian 2 mate who later jumped ship in the Locks in the Kiel canal and an chinese 3 mate. And of course a chinese crew, a makum ch. engineer and an Aberdonian 2 engineer. Anyhow the the Chinese Bosun was pleased too see me if no one else was , and said in his best English with a Chinese accent that he could never find the previous mate whoever he was. Anyhow I soon found out why. On opening the wardrobe in my sleeping cabin which was much bigger than usual it contained a bar stool, a miniature bar , an electric light and switch, and 5 optics screwed to the bulkhead , there were of course no bottles in them otherwise I might have sampled them to see if they were safe to consume. Anyone who has heard the expression " Oh, he"s a wardrobe drinker ", would have had no doubt as to the truth in this statement when faced with the actual reality for them to see.
    Maybe there could be some truth in the story about the Golden Rivet one also ? Although I doubt. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 31st March 2022 at 01:56 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John
    Just as well that Irish reporter wasn't around then, she would have said bejesus the ship was going hard a Rum, or going backwards with half a whisky
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

3. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, Graham Payne, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Knowledge is understanding that a tomato is a fruit.

Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Or so I'm told 🤣

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

WE have many clever well learned persons with no common sense, most are in parliament.

But as to age, well in the begining you have no teeth, need pads to clean up the crap, fed sloppy food, and taken around in a vehicle just for babies.
    Then you reach 90, you have no teeth , need pads to collect the crap, need special food, and moved around in a wheel chair.

Obviously between birth and 90 there is a connection most of us would rather not want to know about.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#35 If she had said hard a bum and spelt whiskey without the e , it must have been her that got to the optics first Des, and was cheap plonk as regards the whiskey or should that be the other way round ? JS

#37 Esther Ransome did a whole TV series on that John called “ That’s Life “. She did no follow up shows so that must be it. What a Swindle. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 31st March 2022 at 05:32 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    You could have been older than most if you were premature David. The next thing to do if you don’t wake up, is to just sleep walk. JS
    Haha. No not premature but definitely immature. I've managed to get from juvenile to senile without all the serious stuff in between. Those were the daze.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Then the programs on TV about the life of some so called personality.
    With all the bells and whistles but not so many scabs on them.
    AS the man said, 'That's life'.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

10. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    A few years ago I watched a program from the UK that showed some older actors who had lost their dexterity, they were given lessons on how to put on their socks while sitting down, and even moving around a kitchen using chairs as an aid. I was a bit stunned as these people were only in their sixties. I can stand on one leg and put on my socks and shoes, then get dressed in the normal way. My wife says it is because i was always doing something, I never stopped, gardening, making things, walking etc. Now that my wife has trouble with her legs I do everything around the house except the washing. Though I do confess I have given away the lawn cutting, I pay a mate to do it.
    Des
    Hi Des, I will make 88 this year and find myself in the same boat as yourself except I still mow my two postage stamp size lawns out front. have to convert those to artificial turf due to local drought conditions.
    my Boss does the laundry and most cooking, but I do shopping and clean up. I put it down to just having great luck with genes and 20 years as a Dry Cargo Marine Surveyor in my 40,s to 60’s, up and down ships cargo hold ladders on a daily basis for keeping me going now. Recently fell apart internally but fixed up and on the go again.
    Tough to see younger shipmates “Crossing The Bar” so to speak … almost feel guilty to still be here, not fair really.
    Keith Adams
    R570384

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Having worked in aged care for some 6.5 years and oi was a volunteer with the local community health center I can tell you age has nothing to do with it.
    I have seen men as young as 35 die from the effects of dementia.
    A man of 25 who had such a bad stroke he is chair bound and can hardly speak.

Then we have an old shearer of 85 who still gets around like a 60 year old.

A man of 52 who has been in a wheel chair since the age of 8, from aquired brain in jury, knocked off his bike by a drunken motorist.

So as to age, just a number nothing more.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast