Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Place names as used by those who live in them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Place names as used by those who live in them.

From what I've read Graham, the Argentinians supplied the Falklands with fresh water, which always seemed in short supply. Maybe their rain wasn't as plentiful as it should have been, if this is correct I wonder who supplies them now?
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Graham Shaw;394437][COLOR=#6D6D6D][FONT=TitilliumRegular] [SIZE=3]In Buenos Aires, the Falklands are known as Las Malvinas and considered part of Argentina. /QUOTE]

I may be totally wrong but lurking in my ever diminishing faculties I do recall (or maybe not) reading that the Falklands were occupied by British explorers and claimed for the Crown whilst Argentina was a Spanish dominion and has never been owned by Argentina in its own name

3. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think it was after the First World War they were ceded to the UK as a protectorate but again may be wrong . I can remember long before the flare up of the Falklands war , which the uk should of had plenty of prior warning , of being 2 mate of a ship about 1960 in Buenos Aires being boarded by marineros for a spot check of charts and publications and wherever the Falklands was referred to , had to be extinguished and replaced with the word Malvinas. The first place invaded was the whaling station on that other well known Island , and the small party of Royal marines led by a sergeant had no option but to surrender , I met him in Cardiff when taken a conversion job out into the Bristol Channel on trials for the Navy, and he couldn’t wait to get back to return the compliment. Cheers JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 1st January 2022 at 09:27 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Falklands or Malvinas ? The point of the thread is we should respect the locals and teach others to use the names the locals use. Any other name is , in my opinion , pointless. We don't seem to have a problem with teaching geography to children using Sri Lanka , Myanmar or even Burkina Faso so why don't we use Espana, Italia or Deutschland ? For anyone who doesn't know where Suomi is don't worry it's not your fault. But we should be asking teachers why our children don't know where it is.

6. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The locals in the case of the Falklands call them the Falklands. I rather think before the Great War they were under German control. I am not a historian and have never looked up for any reason , is just general hoped for knowledge and what is the current gossip at the time is. I knew one Falkland islander who went to live in Shetland and this was the impression I got from him. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Talking Re: Place names as used by those who live in them.

Quote Originally Posted by David Robins View Post
    Falklands or Malvinas ? The point of the thread is we should respect the locals and teach others to use the names the locals use. Any other name is , in my opinion , pointless. We don't seem to have a problem with teaching geography to children using Sri Lanka , Myanmar or even Burkina Faso so why don't we use Espana, Italia or Deutschland ? For anyone who doesn't know where Suomi is don't worry it's not your fault. But we should be asking teachers why our children don't know where it is.
    Yes David.I don't know,or can't keep up with,today's school age kids,so I don't know how they learn about geography,but from what I have seen of today's young adults,many of them graduates,when it comes to their ability to answering geography questions on TV quiz shows I am not hopeful .
    I have written in an earlier post of a young lady graduate when asked which south coast port city did the Titanic sail from in 1912,said..."er..Leeds?"

I'm sure,like many of us,even before we went to high school we had learned much from our stamp collecting ,that 'genteel' hobby long before the advent of 'transformer figures and technological play stations and gizmos !
    Who remembers those little gummed slivers of paper called 'stamp hinges',which ended up all over the place,in your mouth,stuck to your chin,and god help you if your sister opened the door and a gust of wind blew your opened 1,000 pack of hinges all over the show !....

Who remembers some of those exotic sounding places mentioned on stamps ,the names now living on in our minds for ever;Suomi (Finland),Burkina Faso (Upper Volta),Nyasaland(Malawi),Bechuanaland (Botswana),Helvetia (Switzerland),Tanganyika (Tanzania),Bahawalpur (a Pakistan state,I think!) and my favourite-Ceskoslovenska (Czechoslovakia-long before it was divided!)

We had to fish out our encyclopaedias,or traipse to the library to look those places up,before we could proudly lick that hinge and lovingly insert that tiny perforated square into one's treasured album,before carefully hiding it away in a cupboard with 'Keep Out-do not touch on pain of death'-and hoping your little brother will heed the warning. And how grown up you felt at school and you said to your mate "Swap you a 20 baht Siamese for your East Timor 30 rupiah one?".

Bet that's brought back a few memories !.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a lot of German stamps with Hitlers head on them .whatever happened to that stamp album never knew probably my mother sold after the war . They were probably passed on to me by much older cousins who collected them in the mid thirties . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 2nd January 2022 at 10:30 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am always loth to throw used stamps away, I have loads in my draw. When I left home to go to the Vindicatrix I left behind two stamp albums, in one I had two pages of Spanish civil war stamps, many with the dictator Franco on them, when I got home I found that my younger brother had sold them for an air pistol, I could have killed him. I still have unused stamps from the 2000 Olympics, and many world cup soccer stamps from places all over the world from Mongolia to Mexico etc.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Des, here in Victoria we had at one time 174 councils, we now have only 82 with more mergers possible.
    But now some want a name change as the name give does not suit.
    On new such council was named after a said slave trader way back in the late 1700's/1800'
    Forget history and the same mistakes will be made again.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

12. Likes Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Shaw View Post
    Yes David. I don't know, or can't keep up with, today's school age kids, so I don't know how they learn about geography....

Who remembers some of those exotic sounding places mentioned on stamps ,the names now living on in our minds for ever; Suomi (Finland),Burkina Faso (Upper Volta),Nyasaland(Malawi),Bechuanaland (Botswana),Helvetia (Switzerland),Tanganyika (Tanzania),Bahawalpur (a Pakistan state, I think!) and my favourite-Ceskoslovenska (Czechoslovakia-long before it was divided!)

We had to fish out our encyclopaedias, or traipse to the library to look those places up, before we could proudly lick that hinge and lovingly insert that tiny perforated square into one's treasured album, before carefully hiding it away in a cupboard with 'Keep Out-do not touch on pain of death'-and hoping your little brother will heed the warning. And how grown up you felt at school and you said to your mate "Swap you a 20 baht Siamese for your East Timor 30 rupiah one?".

Bet that's brought back a few memories !.
    I was that little brother who "helpfully" licked and stuck all those loose stamps into my elder brother stamp album. I'm surprised he didn't kill me. But you make an excellent observation re place names. The local name on stamps used by the locals sent around the world. Yet we still use made up fictitious and plainly just wrong names on maps displayed in classrooms around the world. You can't blame kids when they are taught wrongly.
    I emailed "Stanfords" and found this...https://www.stanfords.co.uk/world-ma..._9783829767729 This is the one we should be teaching with.
    Last edited by David Robins; 3rd January 2022 at 02:36 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast