Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: xmas pressies

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default xmas pressies

Just thinking how times change as to giving children and grand children a pressie under the tree for xmas......when a child in the 40s anything was a big bonus .......but today we find our grand kids have just about everything they could want .......now before i get inundated with cries of shame .....ie some get nothing .....well that is in my view created by the sins of the parents......so as nan and gramps we now find it easier to give a few quid to ...so they can buy something themselves in the salesand probably better for them to choose .....i never forget being about 12 year old .....my brother a couple of years younger ......carrying on for a bow and arrows ....my mam said no way ......but my gran bought one and my old man got another ......of we went to a field near the cliff tops .........my bright idea to my brother you stand at the bottom of the field and i will fire my arrow into the air in your direction ......he fired ist .......i watched his arrow fly and land .....picked it up and fired back.....he was gaping in the air looking for it when it came down straight thru his shoe into his foot.......being the wimp he was he immedietely......ran for home with the arrow sticking out his shoe shouting he has shot me... he has shot me...i ran after him shouting pull the arrow out before me mam sees it ......all to no avail when my old man came my mother started shouting at him...... he shouted where are the effin bows and arrows ......he grabbed them and snapped them into bits.and.chucked them in the kitchen boiler ......in later years my mother would say would you like a nice jumper to keep you warm for xmas ....to which i took great delight in saying ......CAN I HAVE A BOW AND ARROW PLEASE......oh happy days......CAPPY

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: xmas pressies

Old were so simple Cappy, no consumerism, no bombardment of adverts. Biggest toy me and my brother got was an electric trainset between us.
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Did you call it the Flying Scotsman. Vic ? I always used to get clothes, and an apple and an orange . I was 14 before I got my first pair of long pants , often thought it would have been an expensive Xmas that year as must have cost double from the club man. Provident Club you must have known them living in the NE .. JS

What used to pish me off as the excuses made about the long pants or lack of them . “ it’s much healthier to let the air get to your knees.” In The middle of winter with 6 feet of snow on the ground , come on I’m not that stupid ! Or maybe I am .however I learned never to believe everything anyone told me.
    JS.

As an aside to this it must have given me an inferiority complex knowing I was running around in pants not yet payed for.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 10th December 2021 at 10:41 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by vic mcclymont View Post
    Old were so simple Cappy, no consumerism, no bombardment of adverts. Biggest toy me and my brother got was an electric trainset between us.
    Vic
    lucky you, I got a wind up one which went round and round a 3ft dia circle. Still loved it tho

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My old man was a blacksmith at the pit; when I was about 8 he made me 2 swords and shields for Christmas. He must have lost the plot as they were made from steel and had proper hand guards, painted silver and black with a red cross on the shield. The ends were pointed but rounded off (so they were safe then?).
    I was made up with them and a few days after Christmas some relatives came to visit and I engaged in a sword fight with my cousin and as we only had one room downstairs, this took place behind the settee (fake leather). When my cousin tried to stab me I ducked out the way and it went right the back of the settee.
    My old man was livid, a three inch tear in the back, so when they were leaving to go home he presented my cousin with a sword and said to him " here, take this and put a hole in your mothers settee".
    Didn't seem the least bit perturbed about the fact that I was nearly skewered.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Agree with that cappy, its terrible these days, with as you say hard to buy anything for the Grandkids!
    So like many others these days we just fork out a few Quid to each to use as they want to.

Just on that Bow and Arrow thing, and Honest too, when young i mad a good set with pointed Arrows from Nail end.
    To cut this short my late Brother and i were playing Cowboys and Indians, he with the Revolver (Wooden of course) and me with the Bow and Arrows.

Got him cornered in the play, and dinkum shot him in the Gut , the Arrow went quite well in and all hell Broke loose after that, when my Pa saw this and Boy did i get it! Whamo! with his trusty old Service Belt! LOL
    No harm done though and next day all was back to normal!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#5. Thought you were going to come out there Singing My old mans a dust man , with your guitar like Lonny Donnegan ,,Tony..
    JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 11th December 2021 at 01:54 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Still recall wearing shorts and do you recall John the need to rub vasaline on the inside of the thighs to ease the pain from sores caused from the cold and of course that niggly one between the earlobe and the head where a crust would form that one would peel of whithout thinking lol. Yes we too do the christmas card and money trick with everyone and have done it for years now and birthdays. Going to reiterate my original idea that I spout every year so indulge me once again. Get everyone together right. Now I give the person next to my right a $100 bill and they then pass it onto the next one and so forth until the person on my left recieves it then gives it back to me. We have all exchanged a gift to each other and now we can all depart happy knowing all is well. Except if the barsteward on my left gives me $50 then the annual family row starts lol
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#8 Some of those sores no doubt caused by being in too much of a hurry and not using the proper fly ( if fitted ) and the trouser leg for expediency. Unless wearing girls shorts and had no choice . Just think how disallusioned with life one could be getting a pair of girls shorts for Xmas. I’ve had a slight problem this past year very similar bought half a dozen sets of boxer short type of silky underwear , only to find later that two pairs had no fly in them , looking further saw they were made in China, so assume they are having trouble the same as the rest of the world with this neuter gender thing, but what about the chapped legs I think to myself. One mans meat another mans poison as they say. Anyhow got 4 pair out of the 6 proper workable , will keep the other 2 for emergency’s and not tell anyone. Probably where that saying comes from “ up your knicker leg “ cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 11th December 2021 at 03:17 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great aunt bought me my first par of jeans when I was a about 10.
    Great, apart from the fact there was no fly, bloody things were for a shelia.
    She bought them in a store in Sunderland, brought them to London and I had to wait until mid February before she had taken them back, exchanged them and sent in post.

Made our own bow and arrows much more fun that way and could make them any style we liked.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast