Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Bees

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Bees

Having recently been told I had a bee under my bonnet I thought about these lovely creatures.
    Hard working, free ranging, defensive of their hive and the Queen bee. Industrious and creative making various types of Honey.
    Honey that is known for it's health benefits. Manuka being well researched as wound healer ( Our local vet uses it for that purpose)
    Pollination that is essential to crop production.
    The down side being the Veroa mite that has devastated hives around the world.
    Fortunately this mite has not yet reached our shores but probably will at some time.
    Here in Tasmania we have "sacrificial" hives dotted around as an early warning system for any Veroa mite incursion.
    The bit to be aware of is their sting!
    Usually only used when really necessary. Can cause anaphylaxis in susceptible people.
    So yes it's fine with me to be associated with these marvellous small creatures with so much power to change the world. Lack of pollination can have severe ramifications for the world food crops.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bees

When Younger Victoria , my Dad had some 75 Bee Hives on our Farm in South Africa, as said they are Wonderful creatures and so fascinating to watch. We used to go and help Dad collect the Honey , then take all those lovely Trays of Honey to the Large Shed where he had the Honey Extractor! Sliding the trays into the Slots the by hand had to turn the Handle as fast as you could so taht the Honey was Extracted from the Cones! Large Stainless Steel Unit with Tap attached so as after all was done we could then Bottle the Honey!
    I remember us entering the Rand Easter Show those days and was so proud of Dad when he Won top Prize three Years in a Row for the best Honey!

As for the Bees ,well as you say they wont sting unless they are under threat, as they know well that they will perish once their sting is done!

Only the Drone and the Queen wont sting as the cannot!

We had mostly the Wild Bees that Dad actually caught himself in the Wilds that was the reason for the great Honey!

And here is something for you and its true! Each day Dad use to catch a few Bees and deliberately sting himself and us Kids , it was said that it give sort of immunity to us in case of Swarm Attack, but that of course never happened! Loved those times !

Just recently however i read that there is a new Kind of Honey out and very costly too, its made from the Stingless Bee! Apparently very very good !
    Cheers
    Senior Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ironically, my sister mailed the below to me last night.

I have to say, this is the most gorgeous honey that Iíve ever tasted - it literally tastes like the smell of wildflowers! Itís so delicate and floral.. nothing like the processed supermarket stuff!

1 BEES.jpg

Local product, only added out of interest.

If youíre interested, donít waste time as this is likely to be the last, or one of the last harvests of the year - the bees need some rest.

And, if youíre in Barry or the Vale, Beth will even deliver it to you. Fab service and no fume smokers used, which means that itís not only a healthy, natural product, thereís no distress to the bees as with other and commercially produced honeys.

Keith.

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 4th September 2021 at 04:25 AM.
    "Our veterans did not forget about us .... Let's not forget about them." From Michael Levesque

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Victoria Moss, Terry Sullivan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Without Bees we are well and truly rooted.
    Pollination with these wonderful creatures is what keeps so many crops productive.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I believe the area the hives are situated also affects the honey taste. The different plants all have an unique flavour.
    Those honey cones taste lovely even after the real honey has been extracted.
    Real team players those bees, everyone working together for the good of the hive.
    Pity man can't seem to be able to do the same.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OUr local shopping center at Robina in the Gold Coast, has a hive as you walk in the Kitchens entrance and honey can be bought in the centre. I knowtheysay that Manuaka honey is good, but still believe grandma that, local honey will stop you getting any re action to local plants.

9. Thanks Keith at Tregenna, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Terry Sullivan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Victoria, Have you ever tried Mead ? Mead can have a
    wide range of flavors depending on the source of the honey.

Keith.
    "Our veterans did not forget about us .... Let's not forget about them." From Michael Levesque

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Honey that we had as i have posted, was of different Flavours as well , beause of the Surrounds and the Farm Trees! We had all kinds of trees, Fruit, and other so the Bees had a good Choice!

Thats another thing funny how some went for say the Fruit Tree and others for the other sorts , and kept that pattern. Most of the Honey we had was of a lovely darker shade, and lovely and tangy at that too!

Yes those Cones Victoria . Oh how we loved them, a lot went into Bottling as well though, which was yet another type of Honey!

Cheers
    Senior Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    The Honey that we had as i have posted, was of different Flavours as well!

Yes those Cones Victoria . Oh how we loved them, a lot went into Bottling as well though, which was yet another type of Honey!

Cheers
    well vernon i fully agree on one point the honey pot has many different flavours ....some perhaps not as agreeable as others ....lol cappy
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 5th September 2021 at 10:17 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria Moss View Post
    I believe the area the hives are situated also affects the honey taste. The different plants all have an unique flavour.
    Those honey cones taste lovely even after the real honey has been extracted.
    Real team players those bees, everyone working together for the good of the hive.
    Pity man can't seem to be able to do the same.

In Wales mead – which in its most original form is honey, water, and yeast – dates back to at least as early the year 550, written in the bard Taliesin as Kanu y Med – Song of Mead. In Beowulf, set between 700 and 1000, the Danish warriors drank mead too.

Entrepreneur brothers go from making honey to running in-demand business and appearing on TV

They are set to open a new bar while their mead and beers have seen them work with the likes of the Hairy Bikers and Alan Titchmarsh

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-...GYm3D5-ofndATA

15. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast