Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hero Auctions Medal.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hero Auctions Medal.

Medals for hero's, but what constitutes such a person?

Many such as those who receive the Victoria Medal or similar do not think about it at the time.
    They do what they do then because to them it is the correct way to go in the execution of their duties.

I did hear that the UK health workers are to receive collectively the George Medal for their work last year during the pandemic.
    A worthy action by the authorities.

But sadly in the world today the word hero is used on just about every aspect of daily life.
    But for me the man who scores the winning goal is no hero, just another professional doing what he is over paid for.

As an aside I have a five shilling piece issued when Churchill popped his clogs.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They also gave it to Malta John , the civilian population of the likes of London and Coventry should also have had plus all the other civilian enclaves that were blitzed , it would be never ending. I haven’t really been following Bens VC , some wimp somewhere has decided that war should be fought with Marquis of Queensbury Rules , they have no understanding of anything outside their own front door. However you do give individual credit where it is due. Not take the easy way out and give it en masse. Maybe in a lot of cases the distribution of medals of merit may help to ease the consciences of those who put certain individuals in those bad situations . In retrospect John you may have been better going for the two Churchill half crowns , one for each eye. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 9th July 2021 at 06:57 AM.
    R575129

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Hope the man had copies made at least before selling.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re posts 10 and 14.
    Well Marian,
    If nothing else, at least we now know what Captain MacKay and his wife looked like.
    A very good looking couple indeed.

Regards from,
    Fouro.

5. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#15 when medals as such are distributed they come with the medal full size , in miniature , and the ribbon for same , and probably a script to go with. When the gong is given for an Order of Chivalry it comes in full size with information on how to acquire the miniature and ribbon if required and information on when to be worn, also the enscrolled warrant of authority by HM. I would imagine any buyer would insist on the job lot. For those not aware of Medal etiquette the full size medal can be worn on civilian clothes or uniform , the miniature on evening wear ,and the ribbon usually on uniform. Although for the followers of fools and horses , believe the old grandad used to wear the ribbons on his dirty old Macintosh.Replicas of any medal can be acquired but the scrolls or warrants which accompany would be hard to duplicate. JS
    As regards The Orders of Chivalry each Order and each Rank has a set limit of people holding who are still living , this apparently doesn’t apply to medals when they are given out to people of a Nation.? Those who spend time tracing others and their medal entitlements will be better informed on this subject than me. The information I have is the bare requirements issued from the Lord Chamberlains Office , Buckingham Palace. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 10th July 2021 at 12:50 AM.
    R575129

7. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

There are many reasons that such are sold, my family donated similar to a museum. We had copies made prior.

C'est La Vie.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#16 That was Ian in February 1991 Fouro. when he was wearing a mates uniform from his deep sea era . I have another picture of him and his wife a month later in a group with wives present courtesy of Numast. I shudder to think if that group was re-done how different it would look, maybe even some of them are no longer with us. I know, think it was Bev Minter the MC doing the ceremony an ex Thames pilot died a long time ago , hope I have the correct name. Wouldnt like to think had someone in their coffin before his time. Also at the same ceremony was a long serving Nursing Sister from the old Dreadnought Hospital. Think as it was a newly formed Award every 3 years or so, the next one was the Shipping Minister for Canada. Either the second or third ceremony of its type. How ever with Numast being reformed finding information on this award today is hard going and have been unable to find out much. Think like most things the good intentions were swallowed up somewhere in Europe. If you can get a copy of the Numast telegraph of that era, March maybe, there is about 2 or 3 full pages about it. Safety through Professionalism was the Title of the Agenda. Cheers JS .
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 10th July 2021 at 02:58 AM.
    R575129

10. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#18 In the transcript of Ians selling, the newspaper says he proposes with the money raised to take his family on holiday. That does not sound to me as though it was the intention of bequeething to a museum. Unless by chance a museum has bought. As said it is his business alone but my only addition to the discussion is that his young family which wont be so young today may of wished otherwise , who knows ? JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From JS

Vernon re post on QMG and Ian selling his , can you put this on Fouros post about about the seller .aThe fat one with glasses on the end is me and the next male on my left is Ian. If can’t do doesn’t matter .Thanks any way . JS

Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

13. Thanks happy daze john in oz, j.sabourn, Fouro thanked for this post
    Likes Bill Morrison liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here in Melbourne we have the Shrine of Remembrance and in there under glass hundred, if not thousands, of medals that haver been awarded over time to service men and women.
    All donated either by recipiants or family members, an impressive display.

As to the VC given to one of our soldiers whilst in Afghanistan, the defamation trail continues.

As JS said, war is not fought under any rules apart from the one about personal survival and how any one will react in any given situation may well be outside all the rule books.
    Unless you are there at the time there is no way you can decry the actions of the soldier.

Maybe sour grapes by another who thought he should also have been given one.

- - - Updated - - -

Better looking than I thought you mighty be, must put my glasses on.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

15. Likes j.sabourn, Doc Vernon, Fouro liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast