Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Accident

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Accident

In the early 90s I was on a stacked rig anchored about 1/2 mile off Invergordon.

One Saturday afternoon in the winter myself and Bob the electrician went ashore for ‘supplies’ and ended up staying in the ‘Calley’ bar all afternoon. By the time we left it was dark and very cold. We were a little too much for the drink and when we tried to get in the boat I fell in the water. I can still remember sinking down and looking up through the water and seeing the dock lights. I then started swimming up to the surface. Bob tried to pull me into the boat but could not do it. So I swam across to the Yokohama fender that the ferries tied up to and tried to climb out but it kept spinning it was a bit like a hamster’s wheel. Bob managed to put his foot on it a stop it spinning and I climbed out. I was absolutely freezing and by the time I got back to the rig my boiler suit was almost frozen solid, so it was straight into the shower to warm up. Whenever we went ashore we had to inform Invergordon port control we were taking a boat into the West Harbour in Invergordon. The next day when the OIM contacted port control, via radio, to tell them he was sending the boat into the West Harbour they said they saw us having a bit of trouble the previous evening, they had watched the whole episode on the dock cameras.

I can still remember sinking in the water and it seemed like it went on forever but was probably only a few secs.

2. Likes Tony Taylor, N/A, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#21... Can be very embarrassing and also painful.in another post I fell into the Clyde and trying to climb out up the piling the shellfish ripped my shirt off and opened up the skin ,that was the painful part, the embarrassing part was the 3 wrens in the boat which I was the coxn of witnessed it all and couldn’t stop giggling all the way back to the ship. JS
    Think it was Tony Taylor knows the quay at Helensburgh right opposite Custom House Quay. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 21st May 2021 at 07:03 AM.
    R575129

4. Likes Tony Taylor, N/A, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #21... Can be very embarrassing and also painful.in another post I fell into the Clyde and trying to climb out up the piling the shellfish ripped my shirt off and opened up the skin ,that was the painful part, the embarrassing part was the 3 wrens in the boat which I was the coxn of witnessed it all and couldn’t stop giggling all the way back to the ship. JS
    Think it was Tony Taylor knows the quay at Helensburgh right opposite Custom House Quay. JS
    Yes John, easy done, one of the lads I played around with on there fell in, me and another got him out but the two other boys we were with legged it.
    When they turned up later, they said they ran to the local newspaper office and sold the story for 2/6d.

6. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John S.
    My wife had high blood pressure for over thirty years, then early last year a Dr down here in Cooma put her on a pill called [ Amlo 5 ] and [ Moduretic ]her blood pressure has been spot on ever since.
    Des
    Last edited by Des Taff Jenkins; 22nd May 2021 at 01:17 AM.
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

8. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John back in those days, platform shoes, baggy trousers, Beatle hair cuts and who knows what else.

But up in Birmingham then there where a lot of odd people.
    I was only up there to see a lady I had known down in Surrey when working there earlier that year.

It was not long after that I decided that chasing women was a waste of time, let them come to you.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

10. Likes Ivan Cloherty, Denis O'Shea liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3