Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What the >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: What the >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thomas, Say five our fathers and ten hail Mary's and your sins will be forgiven.
    Fr. Dennis.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi Dennis McGuckin
    good evening, i will indeed accept your pardon and carry out my penance immediately.
    this is why i love being a catholic,( always pardoned,) but as my wife states catholics live in permanent sin.
    she being of the orange variety,
    tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When on leave I met this catholic girl.We could do our thing all week, but had to go to confession on Saturday, so we could go to Communion*on Sunday.That way our parents thought we were behaving as expected.Guess they never wondered*why I was always home early on Saturday.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#31. Whilst not a catholic I was believe it or not a choir boy for a couple of years in the high Church of England , at a very early age. I can still remember singing if you can call it that “ I believe in the Holy Ghost, The Holy Roman Catholic Church, the communion of Saints , the resurrection of the body, Aaaaamen. Or words very similar. I went on to visit various dominations , Chapel ( because I wanted to join the boys brigade among other things , Methodist, Baptist, Prespertyrian ( spelt wrong) because I had to , to get married. I see no difference what church you visit as long as you are a Christian. The high Church of England also has the confessional box. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The school I went to was great, they spent the first two years stamping the Welsh language out of you, then the next 12 keeping you in fear of your life, Someone here said about the woodwork teacher throwing a wet sponge or something, ours used to have a row of striking knives behind him, and if he saw a boy doing something he didn't approve of, like talking, he would reach behind him and throw one at him.
    Our Headmaster when he gave you the cane , {and that was as often as he felt like] would raise himself onto his toes to get as much swish as possible and with spittle flying out of his mouth bring the cane down, and god help the boy who pulled his hand out of the way, it meant doubling up. We had an Irish lad who's father was the only one to come to the school after his son was canned, and knocked the Headmaster
    out cold, got away with it to as he showed the copper his sons broken finger.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We had one nun who was very small. She would climb up on a high chair with cane in hand.
    She would then jump off the chair looking like a flying bat, and hit you hand on the way down.
    Only remember one lad pulling his hand away.
    Think he lived to regret it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I went to a high school, it was up on a hill.

But school days were not all bad, just some of the teachers.
    Junior school was great, boys and girls great fun, then secondary and boys only.

But my wife unfortunately was taught by the Holy nuns who taught her to knit, sew, make bread and cakes.
    Thankfully she then went on to use her brain and did very well at finances.

Long gone now the days she says when you crossed to the other side of the street if you saw the priest coming.

But Sunday mass, the men all said the Rosary told the Priest they would be good, had their sins forgiven then into the pub to begin the sins for next weeks forgiveness.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    I went to a high school, it was up on a hill.

But school days were not all bad, just some of the teachers.
    Junior school was great, boys and girls great fun, then secondary and boys only.

But my wife unfortunately was taught by the Holy nuns who taught her to knit, sew, make bread and cakes.
    Thankfully she then went on to use her brain and did very well at finances.

Long gone now the days she says when you crossed to the other side of the street if you saw the priest coming.

But Sunday mass, the men all said the Rosary told the Priest they would be good, had their sins forgiven then into the pub to begin the sins for next weeks forgiveness.
    That is exactly how it was here, the church was on a T junction and the catholic club was directly opposite the church door, with the red lion being a right turn and straight over the road. Although I am not catholic the priest was well known and a likeable chap; it was common to see him in the drinks aisle at the local supermarket, always in a " happy disposition" shall we say.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi des #35
    good afternoon, my post regarding the woodwork teacher throwing the board duster, i think there is possibly a misunderstanding, the board dusters where if you can remember made of hardwood about six inches long and two inches wide and when they hit you in the head it was like being butted, and left the evidence, i made light of the teachers violence, but believe me thats what it was like, and i suppose in every other school of the type.
    the teacher parsons whom was the religious teacher the gym teacher, choir master, and swimming instructor was about six feet four, and it was his job to cane the miscreants, But whilst in the swimming team you where exempt of any punishment unless the team lost any swimming races, as for many of the other teaches they just gave you the odd slap or kick, all in a days work
    happy days
    tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes in our days morals and way of life were different . Boys and Girls were taught different subjects to prepare them for what was considered their future. Girls were taught culinary skills which was called Domestic Science, whilst boys were taught woodwork. Incidentally this came in very handy for Cappy when he designed Mary’s first leg from a piece of driftwood. History and Geography at our school for some obscure reason was called Social Studies. If you were considered by the teachers to have a bit of a brain were put in an A class and taught the rudiments of French and algebra. Anyhow I have always maintained if you could read and write then you are educated, the rest is up to you. Some of those I went to school with finished up in prison anyway so was the place to complete their learnings. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 14th May 2021 at 11:53 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast