Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What the >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: What the >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

hi john sabourn #4
    good afternoon under nautical terms it could be victor, charlie, bravo, bravo.
    but i know my prefered one tango, india ,tango.
    tom

2. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi john sabourn #8
    good afternoon like you i was a pupil of a school of the state or council education system, and discipline started at home and one learned early to dodge the digs and uppercuts, and school was no different ,from the assembly in the morning, as the headmaster read out the names of those whom had been caught taking the short cut over the canal to school, which meant climbing the electric pylons and walking out to cross to the other side, it was only later that we started to build decent rafts and paddle across, but they where the early days of developement, anyway once the headmaster called your name it was usually the strap for trying to bring shame on the ( school name,) Ha Ha.
    and then the day progressed, from form teachers whom would clip you on the way to class, to the woodwork teacher whom used to hit you with a blackboard duster in the back of the head, from a position somewhere at the back of the class.and then hold you by your small side burns which hurt worse than having bamboo shoots under your finger nails, (well it may have,) so the day progressed the form teacher clancy whom used to spend his days sword fencing with the class, he never got over the fact the japs had him during the war, as a matter of fact he should have been sectioned and he never paid any attention to the coos of the pigeons or the ticking of the clocks, in my class mates desks, If there was one teacher i had time for that would have been the religious teacher and also the swimming coach,and the choir master, and as i was in the swimming team i could literally get away with most things with him, as all he cared about was winning trophies, and so after id had enough of all that i left as it was a mad house, and i made my own way where i was responsible for all the pit falls. and any success i achieved was because of one or two people whom could see that i had self discipline and determination,so over all i think i came out of the system quite well,
    tom

4. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: What the >>>>>>>>>>>&gt ;&g t;>>>>>>>>

John, we had no such opportunity, the teachers would use the belt in class, but if sent to headmaster then it was cane on the hands, last time I got two strokes he dislocated my little finger. Mothers reaction, you must have asked for it! All I did was stand watching some other kids sliding on ice down the driveway out side the "bosses" office and failed to hear the music teacher calling us into the main hall for "singing" lessons

- - - Updated - - -

John, we had no such opportunity, the teachers would use the belt in class, but if sent to headmaster then it was cane on the hands, last time I got two strokes he dislocated my little finger. Mothers reaction, you must have asked for it! All I did was stand watching some other kids sliding on ice down the driveway out side the "bosses" office and failed to hear the music teacher calling us into the main hall for "singing" lessons

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Passing a local cinema in shields one night about 14years old .....3 of us noticed there was no one in the kiosk were you got your ticket from ....one lad leaned over and just kept popping the ticket machine we got about 40 tickets......we thoght it would be good business to sell the 2 bob tickets for a bob at school next day ......which we did .....we sold them all on a promise of payment by the weekend ...we went that night sneaked into the entrance to the cinema itself were the lady with the torch led us to our seats .....looking round at the interval .....all our schoolmates were there ......waving to each other .....laughing and feeling clever boys ......the next morning at school assembly a detective was asking was anyone at the cinema last night jeez squeeky bum time to say the least ...how they got onto it ......i dont know but it was said they tried other schools as well ......not one person in our school grassed ....we thought we were the boys ......sleepless few nights waiting for a knock though.....as my mate was sent away for nicking pigeons the lord knows what we would have got for that little caper....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a similar upbringing as others have already posted. London County Council School . Left school at 15 to work and at sea at 17. Had my share of the cane and the belt from an Irish father. Learned to either do not do it or do not get caught. Never did any of us much harm . Being a small kid my dad had me enrolled in a boxing club at 12 . His reasoning was that you needed to learn how to defend yourself physically and stand up for yourself psychologically. Well between the schools that I went to and my Dad they both seem to have done alright by my standards. I look at the amount of stabbings and other violent crime amongst young teens here in London and wonder if the modern day issues are because of a lack of discipline at home and school. I see young kids crying and wailing because they can not have this or that. In years gone by that was met from a parent with 'If you don't shut up I will give you something that will really make you cry' Which would work or the smack round the ear did. Now it seems to be a ' I will make you sit on the naughty step' What is that all about ?? Most of us on here have worked on either tough ships or in some rough places and ports and knew that if you were looking for a fight ,you could find one with just a few wrong words, in the wrong ear, in the wrong bar, to the wrong person . There was a possibility that you would end up bruised and broken boned . Certainly not with a knife in your ribs , what ever the outcome you did not go bleating about it or complaining to the local gendarmes as sympathy was not a normal outcome . Where I live the local gangs and their parents do look for sympathy and redress from society in general and the police in particular when 'Little Johnny' has become a teenage yob, bully and gang member. When little Johnny is found dying with a knife in his hand and one in his stomach the reason for him carrying the knife was self defence . The parents always say the same thing 'This needs to stop, the Law and society need to do something to make sure that it does not happen again' Well I can agree with that and if that means stricter punishments at school to learn respect for others like caning etc. so be it. If that means stronger and harsher criminal penalties so be it. More importantly the discipline needs to start at home and when little Johnny is chastised at school for his/her misdemeanours their parents need to stop challenging why they were caned but maybe look at our parents attitude that teachers were always right before giving you another clout for the same offence.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ah belt, we had a few teachers who had the belt draped over the shoulder underneath their jackets, could withdraw and administer in one fell swoop.
    Cross handers were the worst, if you withdrew your hand as belt was moving you ended getting more.
    In metalwork one day, one of the school bullies was giving the teacher some lip and threatened him. Teacher whacked him a cross the face with a steel set square.
    Nothing ever came of it, imagine the rucus nowadays.
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My initial school was loving nuns who looked after god's children with round black ebony rulers which they administered frequently to our knuckles to remind us that God loved us!

My final school had marching in the morning, mid-day and evening five days a week Mon -Fri twice on Saturdays and church parade on Sundays, any grieviences had to be sorted out in the ring, sometimes your opponent was the PT teacher, who didn't hold back.

Then at home there was 'just you wait until your father gets home' I accumulated a lot of those as sometimes he was away for 6 or 9 or 18 months.

And before all of them was Hitler who tried to get me three times!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi ivan cloherty #17
    good evening, your reminisces of being tutored by nuns, instantly takes me back to the witch whom i have mentioned on this site before, and whom tutored us children in the early years, she was a bitter, spiteful, witch,and sadistic and cruel individual whom carried a switch of thinly made wood hidden in her skirts and beat us whenever it took her fancy.
    so i can understand your sarcastic and barbed quote as it instantly brings to mind that dreadful woman sister cuthbert,
    tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thomas michael View Post
    hi ivan cloherty #17
    good evening, your reminisces of being tutored by nuns, instantly takes me back to the witch whom i have mentioned on this site before, and whom tutored us children in the early years, she was a bitter, spiteful, witch,and sadistic and cruel individual whom carried a switch of thinly made wood hidden in her skirts and beat us whenever it took her fancy.
    so i can understand your sarcastic and barbed quote as it instantly brings to mind that dreadful woman sister cuthbert,
    tom
    Taught by Nuns.jpg

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Once at school meals, a Nun knocked out the kid next to me for not eating his wet and worm ridden cabbage.She carried a shillelagh, and didn't hesitate using it.Nothing ever came of it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast