Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Education

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Education

And if you want to know how far that horizon is , then it is 1.15 times the square root of the height of eye. So if your eye level is at the same height , one could say you’ve made it. JS
    R575129

2. Thanks John Gill thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was able to read when I began school at 5.5 years of age, taught by an aunt.
    Caused a few problems as the others in the class could not.
    Later had a teacher from Queensland, learned more about Abbos and Roos from here than in my 40 plus years here in Oz.
    Geograhpy and history, not taught now.

Secondary Technical school then to learn about electrics.
    Failed, but did do well in anatomy.
    Went to sea instead and then my real leaning began, I never knew about Cougars until I was almost 17, boy they can take you no worries there.
    Predators all over the place, all looking for younger prey.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Worst thing school wise was after infants and juniors all became
    Boy's schools until college, best thing was school dinners, yummy!

K.

5. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We had No school dinners, in WW2

7. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

In 1937 the WPA reported, "In the past year and a half 80,000,000 hot well-balanced meals have been served at the rate of 500,000 daily in 10,000 schools throughout the country." The permanent National School Lunch Program was created in 1946, with the National School Lunch Act.

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 4th March 2021 at 09:49 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At 5 years of age you do not have a say or opinion on where your education, or lack of it begins.
    Being born into a catholic area of Liverpool my first teachers at infant school were nuns. They were not the wonderful caring women shown in movies, some of them should have been in prison or mental institutions. Religion was beaten into us with a ruler across the back of your head or a cane. Give me the boy and I will give you the man.
    The church was all powerful and could do no wrong, a complaint against the church was met with disbelief from all sides, so there were no complaints made.
    Why I say today's young people have it harder than our generation is because the world of work has changed completely, machines do the work once done by humans. Robots build cars, drive forklifts in giant warehouses, move and stack containers on the quayside.
    This is why education is more important than ever, children must learn the skills for today's and tomorrow's world.

Lewis McColl Guest

Well said Louis, the world has moved on since most of those born in the 1930,40 50's and the 60's could walk into a job of ones own choosing. Sadly we still have homeless people sleeping rough in cities.

Lewis McColl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Keith at Tregenna View Post

In 1937 the WPA reported, "In the past year and a half 80,000,000 hot well-balanced meals have been served at the rate of 500,000 daily in 10,000 schools throughout the country." The permanent National School Lunch Program was created in 1946, with the National School Lunch Act.

That is better than they are doing today then. It took Marcus Rashford to shame the government into action to see that under privileged children do not go hungry. Oh and before some kick off, it is not the child's fault if mum & dad are druggies.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

KEITH
    I WAS THERE, WERE YOU???
    #in 1937 there was NO war, world at peace,.
    in 1946 there was no war world at peace,

Inbetween, the germans bombed us repeatedly, they bombed schools , killing hundreds of school kids,.and adults, the last thing on people minds were a lousy school dinner., forget hunger we had to learn to survive,. in five years i went to FIVE different schools.after our house was blown up by a german bomb, injuring Mother, I lived in different parts of town with various relatives, we had no home, no clothes, no possessions, absolutely NOTHING AT ALL. My cousin Richard was killed he was 8 I was 7 so I had to wear all his clothes
    So the last thing I wanted was a school dinner, I had no where to live until we got a council house in 1946/
    So Keith until you have had an experience in a War Zone as a child, forget school dinners and stop reading propaganda, I was there.
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Marcus Rashford in my humble opinion is a hypocrite - why?
    He was quite happy to take his big weekly wages, whilst lower paid employees at Old Trafford were furloughed.
    It would have been better if he campaigned for the big stars to take a reduction in order that backroom staff could get a better wage.
    Vic

14. Likes Captain Kong, N/A, Dennis McGuckin liked this post
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast