Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Education

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: Education

The government made strenuous efforts to keep morale high. For the first time school meals were offered to children, as mothers were working extremely long hours to help the war effort.

1945 – World War II

During World War II, the school meals service expanded. In 1944, school meals and milk became a statutory duty. By February 1945, more than 1.6 million meals were being served daily. A third of the school population were having school dinners, with 14% receiving free meals and the rest paying 4 or 5 pennies to cover the cost of the ingredients.

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 4th March 2021 at 02:55 PM.

Lewis McColl Guest

#22 Do you actually know what you were talking about? https://www.skysports.com/football/n...tions-answered.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

By February 1945, the bombing had more or less stopped and so life was getting easier, the worst was over, But it still sounds like wartime propaganda

The photos below show where my home once stood till those bastard germans started.
    and you wonder why I hate europe.

Could you face this every day????
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ok wrong on furlough, but he earns a lot more than a groundsman and a book keeper, who are on low wages.

5. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

He should Not Not have been given the MBE
    That was an insult to all the people who were awarded it for Brave deeds in WW2

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Louis the fly View Post
    At 5 years of age you do not have a say or opinion on where your education, or lack of it begins.
    Being born into a catholic area of Liverpool my first teachers at infant school were nuns. They were not the wonderful caring women shown in movies, some of them should have been in prison or mental institutions. Religion was beaten into us with a ruler across the back of your head or a cane. Give me the boy and I will give you the man.
    The church was all powerful and could do no wrong, a complaint against the church was met with disbelief from all sides, so there were no complaints made.
    Why I say today's young people have it harder than our generation is because the world of work has changed completely, machines do the work once done by humans. Robots build cars, drive forklifts in giant warehouses, move and stack containers on the quayside.
    This is why education is more important than ever, children must learn the skills for today's and tomorrow's world.
    My wife was educated by the nuns in Ireland, her brothers by the religeous brothers.
    What did they learn, not a lot apart from how to kneel in front of the priest, how to put paper under their trousers to leesen the blow.
    But they all did well once out in the real world.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Thanks j.sabourn, Tony Taylor thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I’ve got nothing to complain about during my period of years 0 - 16. Once I had realised that the Duck and Hen that my parents called each other were figments of their imagination , and I no longer had to go around searching for their eggs . Especially the Duck ones as was told they were much bigger. JS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    By February 1945, the bombing had more or less stopped and so life was getting easier, the worst was over, But it still sounds like wartime propaganda
    Brian both you and I and many others lived through and experienced the hardships, what these CnP experts gleefully post to prove they are knowledgeable some times bears no resemblance to what happened on the ground. Yes records have to be kept, statistics wheeled out but they cannot replace experience. Glib remarks like people were asked to contribute 4 or 5 pennies was a whole different ball game when you even didn't have one penny in your purse for one reason or another. Seamen's dependents were reliant on a cheque/money order arriving through the post, very difficult to deliver if your house had gone missing, very difficult to send if the shipping Company Office had been bombed. Very difficult to cash if no Bank or post Office available, had to rely on a friendly shopkeeper, who naturally took a cut for his trouble and incurred expense, and if his friendly shop was also a victim, then another source to release your funds had to be found. You probably won't find this in any official report, but then again I may be proved wrong.. We had to walk miles to school because of our religion (other schools were nearer but we were not acceptable, you won't find that published anywhere) through all kinds of weather, with no public transport, with newspapers under our vests to keep out the wind, and paper in our shoes as insulation against the snow, but we survived and we didn't become smug CnP posters.

11. Thanks Tony Taylor thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wonder how the PC brigade would react today with some of the propaganda put out during the war and the general public listened to as we all did. The Germans for a start were depicted as child eaters and of being depraved to the realms of obscenity. The Japanese as bandy legged monkeys with glasses with jam jar lenses and supposedly blind with new born babes on the end of a bayonet. The kids of today would be traumatised for the rest of their lives. This was nothing to kids of our era , we lived with it , saw the bodies being dragged out of blitzed buildings in sacks to try and hide the mutilations . Today you get these whoofters trying to tell you how to talk to your neighbour and not saying the incorrect word in case you hurt their feelings, get real is what I want to say to them , or clear off and find someone else to spout your theories to . JS....
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 5th March 2021 at 01:14 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I come from a small village which only had a state primary school, no religious schools.
    Catholic schools were a bus ride away along with other secondary schools.
    Those of us who went to secondary school shared the bus with kids who went to the catholic primary and secondary schools, these were the kids we played with out of school hours, the next door neighbours, no one gave a second thought as to why they went to different schools.
    One day when I was about 15, I boarded the bus and found two little girls, sisters, who I knew (everyone one knew everyone in that village) one was five and the other six, crying bitterly.
    I was concerned and asked what was wrong, they replied that they couldn't remember the catechism they were expected to remember and were terrified what the priest would do to them. I was so thick, it still didn't register, I just remember thinking I am pleased I don't go that school.
    Scroll forward 5 years, last trip apprentice on watch with two engineers from Scotland, walked into a conversation one night when they were talking about left footers, I innocently said I am a left footer and they looked at me aghast, yes I played outside left for the school team.
    After much abuse, they proceeded to "educate" me in matters "religious in some depth.
    Still didn't alter my outlook on life, people are people and their religion is a matter for them; as long as they don't try to indoctrinate me they can do what they want.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast