Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Education

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Education

And if you want to know how far that horizon is , then it is 1.15 times the square root of the height of eye. So if your eye level is at the same height , one could say you’ve made it. JS
    R575129

2. Thanks john gill thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#6 bet you did well in the anatomy and physiology lessons though LOL

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My early years were home schooled because we lived in Fiji and there were no schools. My sister being 5 years older had to share her lessons with me as my mother couldn't be bothered to try and teach 2 different levels. ( correspondence school via Queensland) Short lessons the rest of the time we learnt stuff from the local people much more fun, including how to swim etc.
    Only draw back was when we returned to OZ the teachers didn't know which class to put me in as academically I was more advanced than those in my age group. Meant when I matriculated I was 2 years younger than my pear group and back then had to wait a year if I wanted to go to Uni.( my father considered that a waste of time for a girl) so into the technical college and hospital system for the next 3 years. Only to find when I qualified I was still 2 years underage, so was sent on the locum trail till I was old enough to be formally given my diploma. ( I had topped the state with my marks and won the Kodak prize) so go figure.
    Those years travelling around the place filling in for people who may not have had a holiday for years was the best training one could get interesting cases and even some education in vet. work, those cattle dogs are very valuable so needed attention when they FOUed ( fell off ute) LOL

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was able to read when I began school at 5.5 years of age, taught by an aunt.
    Caused a few problems as the others in the class could not.
    Later had a teacher from Queensland, learned more about Abbos and Roos from here than in my 40 plus years here in Oz.
    Geograhpy and history, not taught now.

Secondary Technical school then to learn about electrics.
    Failed, but did do well in anatomy.
    Went to sea instead and then my real leaning began, I never knew about Cougars until I was almost 17, boy they can take you no worries there.
    Predators all over the place, all looking for younger prey.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Worst thing school wise was after infants and juniors all became
    Boy's schools until college, best thing was school dinners, yummy!

K.
    "Our veterans did not forget about us .... Let's not forget about them." From Michael Levesque

7. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We had No school dinners, in WW2

9. Thanks Marian Gray thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In 1937 the WPA reported, "In the past year and a half 80,000,000 hot well-balanced meals have been served at the rate of 500,000 daily in 10,000 schools throughout the country." The permanent National School Lunch Program was created in 1946, with the National School Lunch Act.

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 4th March 2021 at 09:49 AM.
    "Our veterans did not forget about us .... Let's not forget about them." From Michael Levesque

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At 5 years of age you do not have a say or opinion on where your education, or lack of it begins.
    Being born into a catholic area of Liverpool my first teachers at infant school were nuns. They were not the wonderful caring women shown in movies, some of them should have been in prison or mental institutions. Religion was beaten into us with a ruler across the back of your head or a cane. Give me the boy and I will give you the man.
    The church was all powerful and could do no wrong, a complaint against the church was met with disbelief from all sides, so there were no complaints made.
    Why I say today's young people have it harder than our generation is because the world of work has changed completely, machines do the work once done by humans. Robots build cars, drive forklifts in giant warehouses, move and stack containers on the quayside.
    This is why education is more important than ever, children must learn the skills for today's and tomorrow's world.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well said Louis, the world has moved on since most of those born in the 1930,40 50's and the 60's could walk into a job of ones own choosing. Sadly we still have homeless people sleeping rough in cities.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith at Tregenna View Post

In 1937 the WPA reported, "In the past year and a half 80,000,000 hot well-balanced meals have been served at the rate of 500,000 daily in 10,000 schools throughout the country." The permanent National School Lunch Program was created in 1946, with the National School Lunch Act.

That is better than they are doing today then. It took Marcus Rashford to shame the government into action to see that under privileged children do not go hungry. Oh and before some kick off, it is not the child's fault if mum & dad are druggies.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast