Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Covid

Hi John.
    When the going gets tough the weak keep walking.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

2. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think the issue of the Vaccine roll out in the Eu shows just how divided and disorganized they are.
    If they cannot get this right what hope do they have of controlling how the EU runs from here on?

Go back to the begining, it was the inner six and the outer seven, maybe a far better system.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

4. Likes Ivan Cloherty, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So now the frogs and others are banning the export of covid and showing themselves to be totally unreliable suppliers. Churchill told us that years ago. Will not advise any country to sign trade deal with EU as are the same as Chinese, renege on deals. Australia was an early country to guarantee the production and purchase of the vaccine while EU sat on fence and tried to white ant the British backed investigations. EU is just a bunch of self centered *********. Next thing they will be screaming for our assistance to stop being attacked.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you ever read literature about Winston Churchill and his self made GENERAL de Gaulle it made it obvious the animosity between the two.The whole advance through Europe was held up because De gaulle and his few hundred so called Free French had to be brought up from the rear so that they could lead the allied troops into a freed Paris just for political means for the future. There were very few allies in Hitlers Europe , Greece I would say was the only one. That I can think of . de Gaulle was a bird Colonel when he escaped into England and I can’t imagine any Vichy General promoting him . JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes De Gaulle is oft portrayed by the BBC as a WWII war hero, it is easy to sit in Whitehall broadcasting to your fellow nationals under the Nazi yoke to resist, and promote yourself whilst spouting, not so easy on the ground when you have to do it. It always amazes me how the French people swallowed so much crap and how the Allies allowed him to get away with it, but politics is politics and beyond us mere mortals.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

good morning john sabourn #80

i believe the reason de gaulle was allowed to take the salute before the troops entering paris, was because of the american policy in thinking that de gaulle would front a puppet goverment in favour of themselves.
    tom
    ps
    due to contradiction by others i add, that general philippe leclerc backed by the american 3rd army under general patton overseen by the supreme commander general d eisenhower liberated paris and with the orders by supreme command to await for the general de gaulle to take the salute as in effect to be the liberator of paris,.
    tom
    pps general philippe leclerc was ordered not to have any other troops other than white faced frenchmen.
    tom
    Last edited by thomas michael; 6th March 2021 at 01:04 PM.

9. Thanks N/A, j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

He was the leader of the Free French resistance.

Queen Elizabeth II said that his "courage and tenacity in the allied cause during the dark years of the Second World War will never be forgotten."

I will go with her thought.

It’s fair to say that if he hadn’t been French, de Gaulle wouldn’t have minded being Irish.

De Gaulle was proud of the literary works of his grandmother, Julien Josephine Marie, who he was partly named after (his full name was Charles André Joseph Marie de Gaulle).

Her biography of 19th century Irish nationalist Daniel O'Connell titled “The Liberator of Ireland” inspired de Gaulle throughout his life, especially regarding the Irishman’s resistance to religious and political persecution.

When de Gaulle resigned as president after losing a referendum in 1969, he packed his bags and decided to spend six weeks in Ireland, where he insisted on visiting the grave of his hero O'Connell.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith at Tregenna View Post
    He was the leader of the Free French resistance.

His feet never touched the French soil as a resistance fighter, I have that from my aunt who was in the French Resistance and received the Legionne de Honour from President Chirac for her war service. Her portrait is hanging in the National Portrait Gallery in London.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

As said: Queen Elizabeth II said that his "courage and tenacity in the allied cause during the dark years of the Second World War will never be forgotten."

I will go with her thought.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We live in a free thinking country, go where you want, well when you're allowed to! But I wouldn't have argued with my aunt, she was a crackshot with, pistol, rifle and 12 bore, not that she would have used them, just shoved my head up my ass!

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast