Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: marian gray

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: marian grey

Quote Originally Posted by Marian Gray View Post
    Sorry I missed you both. I was reared there too, Onslow Drive, across from the cricket pitch, small world eh Haven't been there in years but don't think it has changed too much some of the shops have gone and the dance hall Locarno? well gone 1970's? but the tenements on the main street itself are still standing and the pubs and Church's. I used to work in the GPO Telephone Exchange on Alexander Parade, before I married, flats now I believe
    All this talk of Duke St, Onslow Dr and Alexandra Parade is making me homesick. I was born and raised in Provanmill, went to Whitehill School (off Duke St) and ran around Dennistoun up until I went to sea. Lived there too when I first married. My sister Anne worked in the telephone exchange you mentioned, at the top of Armadale St, my aunt Louise was a supervisor there too.
    I’d be interested to hear of your background if it was, in fact, in Glasgow’s East End.
    Duke Drennan R809731

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I moved south of the city too after a few years of marriage, to Newlands to be exact. Left there for Canada in ‘81 and then onto the US in ‘92. Every place you’ve mentioned in your posts, I’m all too familiar with. I just texted my sister Anne in Toronto, she worked at both Armadale St and Pitt St 1964-1968. Her last name is the same as mine.
    On an off note, it was only about a month ago that I read an article about the 10 most desirable neighborhoods in the world to live in and believe it or not, Dennistoun came in at 4th. Go figure.
    Duke Drennan R809731

4. Likes N/A, j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria Moss View Post
    Hello Marian wow you certainly are very popular on site good for you.
    I think you may've helped me find out some information about my father-in-law which was very interesting.
    Great to see another lady posting on this site.
    Keep covid safe and well, I look forward to reading what you have to say

marion is a true shipmate victoria....takes no prisoners though lol cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    marion is a true shipmate victoria....takes no prisoners though lol cappy
    No she makes them walk the plank instead.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Likes Doc Vernon, cappy, Bill Cameron, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Marian asked you once before but see by the dates it was prior to some of the parties we used to have in the Bar previously think it was in 1972 that 6 telephonists among others wifes and girlfriends attended a party in our newly constructed bar by Tennants brewery, we even had professional musicians for effects , this was on the Beechwood and of all places at General Terminus , you would of been too young so missed a good night and all free. Suppose it was good advertising for the Brewery. All those days gone now however. In port can be a miserable place today. Cheers JS
    R575129

9. Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re Tennent's brewery, an interesting thing happened about 15 yrs ago when took my oldest son (Mark) back to show him where I grew up ( just off the Gallowgate
    between Glasgow cross and Parkhead), wanted to show him the historic Lady Well. I knew it was close by the brewery so I asked the security guard for directions,
    my son looked like a typical Canadian tourist with the Maple leaf on his bag, my brother in law and I just a couple of locals, the security guy ignored me and invited
    hlm (Mark) inside supposedly for private tour, when he came out the guard was friendly and cooperative , while inside he had enquired as to who those other two were
    and was assured one is my dad the other my uncle, the reason for the caution? some characters hanging around the bus station offering services to tourists and robbing
    them, Mark says that guy restored his faith in Glasgow people, he protected him from me, oh well, "you can take the man out of Glasgow but you can't take Glasgow out
    of the man" as they say. John Lennon said "Glasgow is a place in God's own country inhabited by the devil's own people", well, he couldn't have been refering to the east end
    Last edited by John Blaney; 10th January 2021 at 09:51 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Living in Whitley Bay always as a kid always remembered Glasgow week sometime In July I think , by the big influx of visitors.we used to call it Scotch week not understanding the difference between Scotch and Sots. Or just maybe we did and was in reference to the former. To the locals the Spanish city was as named however its real name was the White City. No aspersions whatsoever to any colour creed or whatsoever. The Rex hotel where Brian used to have his sexual encounters probably the nights he was there were known to the locals as the Commercial Travellers night so he was probably competing with people who worked for HP sauce or likewise. The police used to keep an eye on the place through spy holes in various parts. I know this as a friend of mine his father was a cop. However there was very little trouble attributed to the Glaswegians. Cheers JS...
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 10th January 2021 at 10:45 PM.
    R575129

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast