Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Comedy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Comedy

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Don’t suppose Love Thy Neighbour would pass the censors today in the present PC times of those who have succeeded in turning everything upside down. JS
    hi john sabourn
    if you think love thy neighbour wouldnt pass the censor, watch spike milligan ( on youtube ) just punch in spike millagan and all his old shows come up they are hilarious.
    tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It Ain't half Hot Mum contained the most offensive dialogue and visual imagery ever seen on British TV. Apart from inverse racism ( a white actor playing an Indian gentleman), homophobia,elitism, bullying, class mockery(la de da Gunner Graham) conferring female names on male personnel(Gloria). I doubt it could be screened anywhere these days. Anyone knows where let me know, I'd love to watch it again.
    R635733

Keith at Tregenna Guest

A special holiday edition featuring the unique wit and humour of Dave Allen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEhW22a6fhw

4. Likes Bill Morrison liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Y'all know I have lived most of my life in the States. I only watch about 30 mins of the news in the morning, and 45mins of news (between two channels) of an evening. Covid 19 apart, the bloody news is a comedy show in itself.

I agree on the state of tv, what "comedy" shows I have been forced to sit through, when visiting folks, are awful, and not wishing to sound like an elitist, but are geared to the lowest denominator. If one has half a brain there are channels that still show "Fools and Horses" Steptoe and son" etc.. and millions in the US watch them. The problem is I don't stay up late and most of the good Brit and US shows come on for "night owls".

Thankfully, when I visit my best friend who tapes a lot of the good Brit shows, and we stay up into the wee hours yarning and marathon sessions of the cream of his collection.

The UK is known here also for many fine dramas, and they draw large audiences. I know you will find it hard to believe, judging from a lot of your comments, but not all Americans are brain dead and wear loud pants.

I do know when visiting folks in G.B. the tv was always on., And sadly the cream of the crop they you are mentioning wasn't playing, I sat through, dart contests, Billiards championship games, Lawn bowling, Family Feud, soppy quiz games, and take offs of US shows with accents that should require sub titles and just as unfunny "comedy" as we have (UK made). And I listened to "rellies" complain that "There's nothing on." "So there's a bloody off button, use it!" I silently screamed.

Perhaps it's because you don't produce enough shows to feed the tv monster 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and perhaps the budgets of your tv stations can't afford to purchase the better stuff, and you get most of the US dreck.

If they ran' on the British tv' the complete works of William Shakespeare and all the top authors through history all day and night. along with grand opera, ballet, and discussions of the sexal habits of the British field mouse and similar stirring subjects, I wonder how long it could last without the government picking up the tab or screaming hoards marching on Parliament or the White House.

Glass houses and stones comes to mind.

Cheers, Rodney

Keith at Tregenna Guest

A fairly clean intro to Roy Chubby Brown, funny as heck. You can look up more if interested.

Game for a laugh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd1v...O&index=5&t=0s

Or there is always the carrot:

Jasper: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mQgEY4U4VQ

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do any of you ever listen to old audio tapes of comedy especially the goons as that can not only be enjoyable but also relaxing as it gets the old imagination running. Something that visual can not do.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Mills View Post
    Y'all know I have lived most of my life in the States. I only watch about 30 mins of the news in the morning, and 45mins of news (between two channels) of an evening. Covid 19 apart, the bloody news is a comedy show in itself.

Glass houses and stones comes to mind.

Cheers, Rodney
    On Netflix, try a program "Still Game" about two penshioners, its hilarious, produced in Scotland and based in Glasgow.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 6th December 2020 at 12:57 AM.

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Red Lead Ted liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the tip, I'll try, but I have to get a hold of my son to tell me what is net flicks (I assime movies) and do I have it.

Thanks and cheers, Rodney

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

12. Thanks Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Red Lead Ted liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I saw a woman shopping the other day, I noticed the TV remote in her handbag, I asked her do you always take the TV remote shopping?
    She said no, but my husband wouldn't come shopping with me this morning, so I thought I'd teach him a lesson.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast