Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Cars

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Old Cars

Have recently been sitting around with not much to do ( LOL as if) but thinking of my old Dads one Car he had many Years back. It was a 1948 Bottle Green ( they also called it British Racing Green) Round back Ford V8 with Mercury Engine, a real Heavy Job, but for those days had lots of Guts!
    I recall many a day that we were taken out for a Sunday Drive (When he had time from work) as those days lived on the Farm in Vereeniging Transvaal, so had only dirt roads for miles around . Anyway he used to get me and my late Brother Greg in with him, all sat in the Front, and he would open her up down that sand road at full bore, Boy! was that exciting we used to look back and watch the clouds of dust left in the wake of the old Ford .
    My Dad was a very good Driver too, as he had been Racing for a while before he got married to Mum, after he left the South African Air Force.

Yes those days they had some great old Cars out, ones like the Ford,Studebaker, Buick, Dodge, Nash, Pontiac and the rest.
    They were then built to last, and made to go on Roads that Cars of Today would not stand a chance (Not talking about 4 Wheel Drives and the likes).

I wonder how many of you out there had memories of your Parents Cars and any excitements you had in them!???
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Old Cars

I remember 1947, the year of the big winter, i was just 6 years old, my dad worked for a Sir Authur Warchope as a gardener chauffeur , we lived in a tied cottage in Empshott hampshire, while there Sir Author died, which meant we moved into the big house until everything was settled. One of the neighbours was lady Baring, one of the banking fraternity , i know we moved in high circles Lol, she was the executer of Sir Authurs will. She told dad if he could get petrol coupons , she would put at dads disposal, an old Lancaster ? car, and so we as kids sat in the back of this thing, and a car ride was a real treat. Dad had access to illegal black market coupons, so we had lived a life of luxury. So i can lay claim to living in a Mansion, and riding in an old Lancaster round the English country side, but don't read too much into the story, lol ,kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I Bow Sir then to your Title of Aristrocracy then Keith! LOL
    That must have been a Buzz for you as Kids then. Can just see you sitting in the rear waving you little hand like King would . Was it the Armstrong Siddley ?
    Cheers

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith, I think it may have been a Lanchester. If I recall correctly they were quite advanced for the time. They patented a contra rotating weight system (or similar) on the crankshaft to reduce vibration, I bought a new Kawasaki motorbike in 1975 with the same fitted but cheeky b----s claimed it as their idea (am full of useful crap like that ha ha)
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 15th April 2021 at 03:52 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I learnt to drive in a 1934 Chrysler Kew and looking back it was a bloody great car. Six pots and that much room in it that there where seats folded up into the back of the front seats. I have a 1976 Torana sitting in the shed that I have given to my son and is nearly ready to be registered again after thirty years in the shed. Looking for another old banger but seems that the trend nowadays is that they are either hard to come by or expensive as so many are returning to cars that have no computer gear in them. Modern cars are now a throwaway item as I will do with my current car as it has all the bells and whistles but just one tiny things goes wrong and it is cactus. Yep we not only where born at the right time with our sea lives but where also spoilt with our cars as well
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have had many cars all but one gone now. But my brother who recently passed away in Wales drove those three Wheeler's he had five of them over the years.
    This was his last one.

Last edited by Doc Vernon; 26th October 2020 at 12:56 AM.
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Same her Des
    Many Cars have passed me by now, i should sit and try and recall them all, lost count. My late Brother In Law had one of those old Three Wheelers when i first met him one day, as he came knocking ay our Front door in Cape Town 2 Upper Orange Street. asking for my baby Sister LOL
    Never forget that.
    Trying to think of the name of that though! Mmmm!
    Cheers

Added Oh! i remember now it was an old Messersmith with the Top opening upwards to get in, the Two wheels were in Front and the one at the rear!
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 26th October 2020 at 01:04 AM.

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wasnt a Morgan was it Vernon ? JS

- - - Updated - - -

Wasnt a Morgan was it Vernon ? JS..
    R575129

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post