Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Cars

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Old Cars

My very first and oldest car was a Morris 14, 1937.

I was home on leave , in 1956, in the ale house in town, had several bevvies. and then I heard a voice shout, "Who wants to buy a car."
    Then I heard myself shout , "Me, how much?"
    He says £10, I looked, "I have only got £7, " " That will do " he says.
    He gave me a Log Book, a key and says , "The Morris 14 outside. . all yours," and then disappears..
    I went out at closing time, and saw it.
    I had no license, no insurance. I had Never ever driven a car before, no idea, it had a starting handle so I swung it around and it started.
    I staggered around to the drivers side and climbed in.
    There was a gear stick that I had seen people use so I stuck it forward and it jumped and started down the road.
    I went all the way through town past the Central Police Station and carried on all the way home in bottom gear.
    Next morning I heard Dad shouting, "Who has dumped that pile of junk outside our house?"
    That day I spent cleaning it and inspecting it.
    The Drivers door was hanging on with one hinge instead of two, there was a hole right through the floor this side of the pedals, could see the road.
    One consolation was , I found a two shilling coin under the back seat, so it had only cost me £6. 18 shillings.
    I eventually learned how to drive it, up and down our street.
    with great clouds of smoke following.
    I was driving down the main road towards town when a Policeman stopped me, He opened my door and it fell off into the road.
    "Where the hell are you going with this thing",??
    I just said, "I am on my way to the scrapyard wit it. "
    "Well hurry up and get there" as he threw the front door into the back seat.
    I carried on to town.
    I had it for a few more weeks then I was sailing next morning on the Adelaide Star to OZ, I went to town for a farewell drink with my mates and got legless, do not remember going home.
    Next morning I get up and getting ready to leave home, No Car,
    Dad says "You came home in a taxi last night".
    I had to go and get my train t Liverpool and when I came home four and a half months later, I searched the town, no sign of it anywhere,
    If anyone sees it please let me know,
    A black Morris 14, 1937, the Reg No. is "DTO 258"

Cheers
    #Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    My very first and oldest car was a Morris 14, 1937.

I was home on leave , in 1956, in the ale house in town, had several bevvies. and then I heard a voice shout, "Who wants to buy a car."

I had to go and get my train t Liverpool and when I came home four and a half months later, I searched the town, no sign of it anywhere,
    If anyone sees it please let me know,
    A black Morris 14, 1937, the Reg No. is "DTO 258"

Cheers
    #Brian
    hi capt
    reminds me of a women driver over in sainsburys birkenhead carpark as i was walking passed she said excuse me could you help me, of course was my reply what do you want, her reply was to show her how to put the car in reverse
    i stood there for a few moments just looking at her, she was in her late sixties. i said reverse, yes she said, i asked her can she drive, of course i can she said, but i never have to reverse , so i showed her how to reverse and i stood there whilst she exited the car park in utter disbelief that she had never learned to reverse her car.
    tom
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 28th October 2020 at 07:15 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thomas michael View Post
    hi cappy
    i suppose it would be better if you stood outside the car as the door opened right out and the steering wheel was a collapsable one.and she would be on the bench seat legs akimbo.
    tom

- - - Updated - - -

hi tony
    is there a lot of germans living up your way, always loved newcastle when last up there november twenty odd years ago, the girls where literally dressed for the summer with no coats on, ?
    tom
    still the same, NO fur coats and no knickers

4. Thanks thomas michael thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Lawrence View Post
    My first car and the only BMW I have ever owned (well the engine was) an Issetta 200cc Bubble Car, I am 6' 5" and used to drive it with my head out of the sun roof got 90mph out of it once, down hill of course and it was vastly expensive £8
    Attachment 30957
    That is the one that my B I L had that i posted of and it was Red as well.
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Glastonbury, Somerset, United Kingdom Hometown
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

LOL! What a wonderfully funny story Brian, cracked me up mate!

Jeff'.

- - - Updated - - -

Great stuff Malcolm, I posted earlier about my brother and his Reliant..similar story! He being 6' 8" tall!!

Jeff'.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    A true story Malcolm . while in the fire service, we were out testing hydrants on an estate, and we started to hear a women's voice calling for help, she was in the garage in one of those cars, this was at the time you could have the reverse blanked off, and drive them on a motorcycle licence, this would have been the sixties. Her garage drive was on a slope, and she had driven in close to the back wall of the garage, and could not exit with door opening front ways, reverse blanked off and could not go back. Quickest rescue we ever carried out, one man pulled her astern, she was highly embarrassed , kt
    I remember that happening to one of our customers in the early '70's. No one explained about no reverse!! LOL
    Jeff
    R808042

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Jeff.
    My late brother-in-law was your double, for cars I mean. When he lived in Canberra he used to do up those big American cars, and took them around the car shows. I loved visiting him and being driven around, wanted to sell me one but I wouldn't have been able to afford the petrol with the distances we drive here.
    During the war my brother used to bring back the American magazines from the States with all those pictures of the big cars, a schoolboys dream.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

8. Thanks Jeff Glasser thanked for this post
    Glastonbury, Somerset, United Kingdom Hometown
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    Hi Jeff.
    My late brother-in-law was your double, for cars I mean. When he lived in Canberra he used to do up those big American cars, and took them around the car shows. I loved visiting him and being driven around, wanted to sell me one but I wouldn't have been able to afford the petrol with the distances we drive here.
    During the war my brother used to bring back the American magazines from the States with all those pictures of the big cars, a schoolboys dream.
    Des
    They are very 'Marmite' Des, I have had a love of them since my first one when I was 19! (1968) I posted a photo' earlier. It's a disease and is incurable!!
    Jeff
    R808042

10. Likes Doc Vernon, N/A, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have also had a love for Cars Jeff but possibly in a different way i guess.
    About the Paint side of things, i was at one time Employed at Prolux Paints in South Africa, where we made all kinds of Paints, Industrial, Household, Car etc, so i had quite an extensive knowledge of various types.

I was then Supervisor making large and small amounts of Paints, and had to do all the testing and colour matching of various kinds , such as Viscosity, smoothness , especially on Car Paints , that had to go through Ball Mills and then through Sand loaded Machines, had to put on a Steel pad and then use a special smoother to see just how fine the paint was.

I then after we immigrated here got a Job in the T A F E Colledge in the Motor Vehicle section, teaching the Students to respray and Brush Paint the various Cars we got from applications from outsiders, this was a free service , but we always had a long list so no shortage LOL Wonder why!!

One thing i loved though was the smell of the Paints , and especially the Automotive , at the end of the day one was quite sort of Tipsy with the Fumes lingering all day long! LOL
    cHEERS
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Commonly called? A plastic pig the old three wheeler vans and my BIL used to give me a lift to work in his and can still recall that smell of fiberglass LOL
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Terry Sullivan Guest

I changed over from motor-bikes to a Reliant, driven with a m/c license, remember taking it up M1 before speed limits.
    Soon learned to park so that no reversing was required. Then got an A35 and had to learn not to pull into kerb's too sharply as the Reliant with only one front wheel over rode the kerb.
    Terry Sullivan R340406

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast