Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Cars

Glastonbury, Somerset, United Kingdom Hometown
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Old Cars

Yes Ivan, they were on the large side weren't they, but effortless to drive. Going from the ridiculous to the sublime with the Morris thousand convertable. LOL!
    Jeff'.
    R808042

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now there is almost as much plastic on the outside as inside.
    Plastic bumpers along with plastic wings on some.

Long gone the days of the crash repair, now just take one bit off and add the new one.

As to the older cars, very popular here in Oz. In Victoria most weekends there will be a meet somewhere of them.
    Most now have special insurance on them with a company that only take son the older cars.

Last year down in Geelong there was a meet of old Triumph Sports cars, must have been about 200 of them, great sight to see them all lined up.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

3. Likes Doc Vernon, Ivan Cloherty liked this post
    Glastonbury, Somerset, United Kingdom Hometown
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Now there is almost as much plastic on the outside as inside.
    Plastic bumpers along with plastic wings on some.

Long gone the days of the crash repair, now just take one bit off and add the new one.

As to the older cars, very popular here in Oz. In Victoria most weekends there will be a meet somewhere of them.
    Most now have special insurance on them with a company that only take son the older cars.

Last year down in Geelong there was a meet of old Triumph Sports cars, must have been about 200 of them, great sight to see them all lined up.
    I used to love taking my cars to shows, always a great bunch of people, though sometimes the public would be a pain. More than once I've found an entire family happily sat in my very expensively restored jeep with their ghastly kids pulling and pushing switches gear levers etc. They'd get quite snotty about it if you happened to be brave enough to show that you weren't happy about it.! 'It's only an old jeep' they'd say. But then, if you're not prepared for the idiots don't go to shows with your toys. The worst thing is trying to get sticky toffee apple residue and ice cream off of 'matt' olive drab paint and the seat canvas afterwards!!!! I had a woman bounce her kids pushchair off my Corvette I'd just restored once, not even sorry about it. Near the end of my time repairing car bodies it was all remove and replace, very few places had skilled panel beaters coming on, just fitters.
    Maybe they think we old car collectors are mental.
    Jeff'.
    Last edited by Jeff Glasser; 27th October 2020 at 02:32 PM.
    R808042

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My first car and the only BMW I have ever owned (well the engine was) an Issetta 200cc Bubble Car, I am 6' 5" and used to drive it with my head out of the sun roof got 90mph out of it once, down hill of course and it was vastly expensive £8
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 28th October 2020 at 10:35 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A true story Malcolm . while in the fire service, we were out testing hydrants on an estate, and we started to hear a women's voice calling for help, she was in the garage in one of those cars, this was at the time you could have the reverse blanked off, and drive them on a motorcycle licence, this would have been the sixties. Her garage drive was on a slope, and she had driven in close to the back wall of the garage, and could not exit with door opening front ways, reverse blanked off and could not go back. Quickest rescue we ever carried out, one man pulled her astern, she was highly embarrassed , kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Glasser View Post
    Thanks Thomas, I too loved the old Jags, rust buckets that they were, but this was off set by the performance and style. I had several Mk 2's.
    I think I'm familiar with that bike. In the '70's I was very involved with the British Drag Racing scene over here, being part of the Dennis Priddle Racing team. I'm very proud to say that I painted the race cars, even having 'Revell' models make a kit of one which carried one of my paint schemes. (Mr Revell') I'll try and stick a pic' on here of the dragster.Attachment 30939
    Jeff
    hi jeff
    thanks for the reply,
    i just thought the alan millyard bike was of some intrest to you and boy was i correct, obviously you are, and still are a big car fan and your multi tasks throughout the years with the spanner end of the game is very interesting.
    the bike that alan millyard built is not only ( V10 five litre viper engined ) but it is street legal which he rides at various times throughout the year, as i said just one of the amazing engineers working in their garden sheds across this great country of ours.
    as for the jags rust free they where not but like you i had the bug for the mark 2 which i believe apart from the x120 series together with the e/type where the most stunning,the best one i had was a five ltre coupe mark 2 which i bought for buttons.
    tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Lawrence View Post
    My first car and the only BMW I have ever owned (well the engine was) an Issetta 200cc Bubble Car, I am 6' 5" and used to drive it with my head out of the sun roof got 90mph out of it once, down hill of course and it was vastly expensive £8
    I once sailed with a guy whose claim to fame was getting his leg over in a Messerschmidt bubble car, behind the Oxford Galleries dance hall in Newcastle.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

well tony assuming the girl was in the car .......and the guy was kecks down ...and mounted .....i would assume he was bare assed and thrusting forward and back ......which could have been a fine opportunity for an old sailor to make a threesome.....sadly with the bloke you knew being the meat in the sarnie .....lol lol lol cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    well tony assuming the girl was in the car .......and the guy was kecks down ...and mounted .....i would assume he was bare assed and thrusting forward and back ......which could have been a fine opportunity for an old sailor to make a threesome.....sadly with the bloke you knew being the meat in the sarnie .....lol lol lol cappy
    hi cappy
    i suppose it would be better if you stood outside the car as the door opened right out and the steering wheel was a collapsable one.and she would be on the bench seat legs akimbo.
    tom

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Taylor View Post
    I once sailed with a guy whose claim to fame was getting his leg over in a Messerschmidt bubble car, behind the Oxford Galleries dance hall in Newcastle.
    hi tony
    is there a lot of germans living up your way, always loved newcastle when last up there november twenty odd years ago, the girls where literally dressed for the summer with no coats on, ?
    tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ah the term legs akinbo .....i think i felt a strange movement ......cappy

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast