Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Cars

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Old Cars

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    Made in Sweden Keith, where studded tyres are being phased out and will eventually be illegal, as too much damage to the roads as cars get heavier and heavier. I have found them a godsend on occasions. You can get them on the internet, but I believe Vauxhall have become the franchised dealers, but don't stock them, so no doubt they get them off the internet and put the price up. So easy to put on and take off.
    I have a set of Michelin Easi Grips - just like snow chains but made from Kevlar and can be driven on once out of the snow, I also had a set of wheels with winter tyres (rear wheel drive car) since 07, as they were mandatory in Germany. Never yet had to resort to Easi Grips due to excellent winter tyres, all through those bad winters 10/11/12. Last two winters with my old rear wheel drive I used Cross Climates and never had to resort to winter set. Sold it three years ago with 250,000 miles on and bought a front wheel drive.

2. Thanks Ivan Cloherty, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Glastonbury, Somerset, United Kingdom Hometown
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith, my older brother never bothered to take a driving test, instead he only ever drove a series of Reliant Robins and even a Regal. The last one he had fell over which totalled it, so he went back to motorcycles.
    He was 6' 8" tall and he had to reposition the seats about 6inches back to be able to drive the damned things. Must have been lethal! He didn't so much get in them as put them on!!!
    Jeff
    R808042

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Talking of Regal, my late B I L had a lovely Blue Valiant Regal, it was his pride and joy, kept it immaculate at all times, it was a really lovely Car. Had the rear Window curved.
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Love this thread,
    I've always had a penchant for Detroit iron. My first car though was an enormous Mk8 Jaguar. I could only just see over the dash. I went from that to a dear little Austin Healey 100 (worth a fortune now) great fun but this was exchanged for my first US car which was a 1957 Ford Fairlane with a retractable metal hard top. (nothing is new) This started a lengthy life long love affair with the American dream owning many over the years from Packard's to Pontiac's, Cadillacs to Corvettes with a smattering of Brit stuff in between. Oh, and a couple of WW II jeeps. Many of these I restored myself. (40 years in the bodywork/refinishing trade.)
    I'll post a couple of pic's. (Admin remove if not o.k.) My first Yank..the 'Skyliner' retractable, also worth a fortune now.
    My last, a 1977 Corvette, which I restored from the ground up.
    One of my jeep might have up loaded but I'm not sure!
    Jeff

57 Skyliner.jpg'77 Vette after restoration..jpg
    Last edited by Jeff Glasser; 26th October 2020 at 07:23 PM.
    R808042

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Glasser View Post
    Love this thread,
    I've always had a penchant for Detroit iron. My first car though was an enormous Mk8 Jaguar. I could only just see over the dash.
    hi jeff
    this might be of intrest to you.
    i was a jag man myself, owned half a dozen over the years, always a fan of british engineering although its manufacturing arm british leyland was a total washout.
    check out the british built millyard V10 five litre motor bike fitted with a american dodge viper engine on youtube,
    that guy millyard whom built it and many more in his garden shed is a british craftsman of the old school and earns my total respect and esteem.
    tom
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 26th October 2020 at 07:34 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jeep photo's won't upload so I've added a 1959 Cadillac I restored to give you something to look at! Yeah, I know..Marmite car!!

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 26th October 2020 at 08:01 PM.
    R808042

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

well jeff this makes a story of years ago come to mind .....a guy who worked with me bought a reliant robin .....it was his pride and joy ,,,,he parked it ouside the factory one morning with a large dent almost all one side .....all hands came out and commiserated with him ......at going home time it was discovered some wag had got a pot of white paint and done a great OUCH over the dent .....even he laughed ....ps he has done alright he drives a jag now but i often see him and that story has come up often ....regards cappy

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Thomas, I too loved the old Jags, rust buckets that they were, but this was off set by the performance and style. I had several Mk 2's.
    I think I'm familiar with that bike. In the '70's I was very involved with the British Drag Racing scene over here, being part of the Dennis Priddle Racing team. I'm very proud to say that I painted the race cars, even having 'Revell' models make a kit of one which carried one of my paint schemes. (Mr Revell') I'll try and stick a pic' on here of the dragster.Mr Revell (5).jpg
    Jeff
    R808042

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Glasser View Post
    Jeep photo's won't upload so I've added a 1959 Cadillac I restored to give you something to look at! Yeah, I know..Marmite car!!

Jeff
    My aunt in Vancouver had one of those which I drove about '60/61, it seemed bigger than the condemned cottage I lived in at the latter end of the war, it was certainly bigger than my first car......a Morris Minor Convertible

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Cappy, that made me laugh!! The beauty of those cars is that if you wallopped it badly you just made sure you picked up all the bits and then glued them back together. Repaired a few of them in my time. Used to make me itch for days after though!! If your mate had warmed it up with a hairdryer the dent most likely would have popped out.
    Jeff
    R808042

13. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast