Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Cars

Lewis McColl Guest

Default Re: Old Cars

Conflicting suggestions by some experts,
    For rear tyres, it can be double that - around 40,000 miles. We recommend moving worn rear tyres to the front when the front ones wear out. This by the AA!!!
    https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice...e-life-and-age

How many have seen Bikers weaving as they are going down the road, it always makes me laugh as they are trying to get heat into the tyres before they let the beast lose lol.
    Bikers usually talk utter shi- about tyres and performance , seems to be a thing that they must have the latest Michelin or Bridgestone tyres on their steeds just to make sure they have confidence if they are going to get their knee down. I have done it once and nearly destroyed a pair of leathers doing it. It was not skill it was called survival. It happened at Le Man at the bottom of the Mulsanne straight. I did not realise there was a sharpish right hand bend at the bottom. Diffo an oh sh-t moment.Unknown.jpeg Not me by the way, but I don't think this fat git is going about this the right way. I don't think this ended well as he is running out of road.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have had HGV licence for most of my Fire Service time, but have never had a motorcyle licence. When i first came ashore and got a job, had to have some transport, and quick, could not afford a decent car, so opted for a Lambretta, most dangerous thing i have ever owned, perched on two little wheels, and in icy weather, lethal, once they slip you have no control. A few months dicing with death, sod that, got a car on the never never, go to work dry, kt
    R689823

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    This I am aware of Tony, it was just an observation and comments I'd learnt from a tyre fitter as well as Michelin.

I was also advised that swapping tyres around these days is a waste of time, as the compounds are a lot different as in days of yore when we used to do it, because our fathers used to do it.

Mercedes and Michelin advise that new tyres should always be fitted on the front, as rear tyres are 'trailing' tyres and are not subject to the same wear and tear as front tyres which have to contend with a lot of movement when cornering and parking and get a lot of wear on the shoulders.

Incidentally I use nitrogen in my tyres rather than air, as it is not subject to temperature change like air, air temperature change inside the tyre can cause moisture which can effect the wire rim of the tyre where it meets the wheel. Costs about £1/£1.50 per tyre on the initial fill and subsequent checks and top ups, if any, are free of charge, takes about 15/20 minutes to discharge air, dry tyre internal and refill with nitrogen for all four tyres, as in most things don't mix n match.

I don't believe in skimping on tyres, never have, they are your first contact with the road, and I'm still a rapid progress motorist

Hey but do whatever floats your boat, I'm only passing on comments and info from people who do it for a living.:
    Ivan, I totally agree, my point was that the manufacturers should be fitting correctly

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My Land Rover has always had book services, costs a bit more but I know all that should be done is done correctly by Land Rover.
    The spare is on the rear, not like the later versions where it is underneath the vehicle.
    How do you get that in and out?

As to the Red dot, only ever seen that of the forehead of a permanently sun tanned lady from the sub continent.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

https://www.toyotires.com.au/news/se...%20to%20wheels.

Just for interest sake
    Cheers

All mine are lined up with the White DOT.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 16th April 2021 at 09:47 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

9. Thanks N/A, Ivan Cloherty, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Keith Tindell liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry no photos but the story is so true, all the push for electric vehicles for what.
    To make some bugger richer, nothing to do with climate

This is a boneyard near Paris, France with hundreds of electric powered cars. Mind you these are only cars used by the City of Paris and not personal vehicles. All of these have the same issue,.... the battery storage cells have given out and need replaced. Why not just replace them you ask? Well two reasons. First the battery storage cells cost almost double what the vehicle cost new, and second no landfill or disposals will allow the batteries to be disposed of there. So these green fairy tale electric cars are all sitting in vacant lots while their batteries drain toxins into the ground.

Still think we need to go green???
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

11. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marian Gray View Post
    Thanks for that Marion, it just goes to show you never know who to believe.
    But it is a fact that the batteries on electric vehicles, just like all batteries have a limited shelf life.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

13. Likes N/A, Denis O'Shea, Dennis McGuckin liked this post
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast