Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Are you an Oddball or boring?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Are you an Oddball or boring?

Very similar to that Rodney, back in 2001 my son and his wife sold their business, quite a big financial deal, large offices in York with over 20 computer engineers, plus two offices in USA, they have never dressed in anything but jeans and T shirts. They wanted to buy at that time the latest BMW3, and went to the showroom, and were looking into the different models on show, three salesmen were standing and talking among themselves, never approached my son and daughter in law, so my DIL went up too the salesmen, and asked if there was anyone working there today, that got some response !!!!, but just shows what appearances can do.They did buy a M3, but not from that dealer kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

well rodney never reached anything like your manhattan set up .....but am happy with my progress in businness life.....certainly know that a good motor can affect people who are company buyers etc and not working for themselves.....used to deal with big buyers in M AND S...but they were not working for themselves .....and there is always a big difference.....in attitudes.....i have had good people round me to work with which is a big bonus in any businnes......but i have read of your ist trip ......was it a port line vessel ie port jackson or similar port line vessel ......and was it you who was befriended by a engineer on the train going to join her.....as i have seen this on site and a buddy of mine remmbers a ist tripper cabin or catering boy on his ist trip he is a buddy of mine from north shields and now lives in a village near here ...but sadly has the asbestos lungs and is just about keeping going ......the story you or someone on this site told me is of this meeting with a boy who was a bit over awed and etc and my mate got him aboard ok this in the 50s or early 60s regards cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#29 Cappy if you ever want a Scotch Boiler fitted. Tonys your man. He"ll even put in a salonometer Cock for free/ JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many moons ago when living in London in a two bedroomed house I fitted a full system with radiators, boiler and overflow tank in the roof space.
    Very easy to do but you need to pull up a few floor boards to do it.

As to my recent tasks, hot water service from Bunnings for $850 with a few bits extra we needed.
    Heater in roof space, $1550 direct from maker, but with the extra ducting brought it up around the 2K mark.

Vernon, check you house insurance and see if it covers fences.
    Ours does, long story but the house next door when built had to have a very severe site cut and they came too close to the fence and at some points up to a meter down.
    Should have put a retaining wall in but did not.

When the fencing contractor saw it he told me to consider this as an insurance claim due to the site cut.
    I did and with a phone call to him from insurance they paid out, I had an excess of $750 to pay, cost of my share was well over 3K.

Forgot to mention the Solar panels.
    Had six fitted care of the Rudd gov way back in 2008 during the global financial crisis, cost me nothing.
    The last year care of the State gov had another 8 fitted by our power supplier and half the cost met by the gov.
    All part of a scheme to get as many houses as possible onto Solar.
    Gov grants of up to 60% of the cost for some.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 28th October 2020 at 05:56 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cappy.

Yes, first trip Port Jackson after Gravesend Prison for unsuspected catering boys. followed by Port Townsville, Good Hope Castle, La Cumbre (hated it). Warwick Castle, Dunnotta Castle, and Athlone Castle. In between four "trips to the UCL catering school, sat and passed my B.O.T ship's cook certification. Was/still am? the youngest to pass it 19yrs. 7mths. Swallowed the anchor and emigrated to Canada and then emigrated to the to the States in 1962.

I enjoyed all my ships except for B and M's La Cumbre. No regrets, best thing I did going into the Merch (and then coming to the States).
    They taught me a trade which rivaled, if not bested the terrific training programs for cooks and future chefs from Germany and Switzerland.

That training and my improving my limited education put me ahead over my rivals for positions as I climbed the ladder.

If nothing else, Gravesend School taught me to keep my mouth shut, before it was shut for me. To turn to and work, Do it now! Not put it off until later. Even this morning, I was half way through my "lonely breakfast" when I thought of something I should do. I just for a moment thought I'd do it after breakfast...I stopped eating, got up from the table and did it then. Job done, breakfast continued. I have been like that ever since Gravesend.

It's a crying shame, that poorly educated, sixteen year old and mouthy, smart alecky cockney kids, like me, that leave school too early, don't have an outlet like our Merch. to get straightened out, just like the Merch. did for me. Learn a trade, see a big part of the world, and build one's character...and get paid for it. Such a deal!

Cheers, and glad your posting mate. Rodney

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Rodney
    I see you were on both the Dunnottar and Warwick, me as well wonder what Years that was ?
    I was on them in 1958 and 1959. The Dunnottar being my First Ship and her last Voyage back to KG5.
    cHEERS
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rodders, so much truth in that statement by you.
    Yes we may have learned the tough way at the Vindi and later at sea but learn we did.
    It stood us in good stead once ashore, like you I was in catering and as a result never a day out of work in my life.
    It is an industry where there is always work for those willing to work.
    Funny thing is when I went to the Pool for my interview to join up, Dock st, maybe in London, I was asked which department I wanted to be in.
    Catering was what I said all because my school times mate had joined up and gone into that, I never thought of anything else.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doc.

Dunnotta 17-4-1957 to 14-6-1957

Warwick Four Trips. 7-3-1956 to15-1-57

Nope, guess we were "trips that pasted in the night."

Cheers, Rodney

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4