Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Are you an Oddball or boring?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Are you an Oddball or boring?

i have just ordered a new boiler ....it is just under 4 grand fitted ....there are adverts telling me how much assitance i can get it almost free ,,,,until i state i own my own property and am not on benefits ......nix also with the tele license ......i am not on benefits so pay full whack while the buggers coming up the beaches and etcs are living in 4 star hotels and given mobile phones and cash ....what a bleedin shambles.....land of hope and glory MOTHER OF THE FREE....unless you live here

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    i have just ordered a new boiler ....it is just under 4 grand fitted ....there are adverts telling me how much assitance i can get it almost free ,,,,until i state i own my own property and am not on benefits ......nix also with the tele license ......i am not on benefits so pay full whack while the buggers coming up the beaches and etcs are living in 4 star hotels and given mobile phones and cash ....what a bleedin shambles.....land of hope and glory MOTHER OF THE FREE....unless you live here
    Cappy, that's a lot just for a boiler, unless you are needing an exceptionally large one or fitting new radiators

3. Thanks cappy, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thats the price you pay for capitalism. The next item on the agenda when things get anywhere near normal will be the cry which already is being muted not too loud is the state of the economy. Anybody who has had the foresight to save for their old age will find their savings diminishing faster than usual through the taxation system . Will be robbing Peter to pay Paul. I know your middle name is Peter, Cappy. You might get lucky like the big industrialists and slip in for a knighthood with your gifts to Charity , only thing is though the Industrialist doesnt miss it as is tax deductable and not their money anyway. Cheers JS.
    R575129

5. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

well some might say that is a lot of money tony ,,,,but for 30 odd years i worked from 6 45 till on ave 6 30 pm .....i made a factory from penny tapes and cut cloths and buying and selling ....i worked 6 days every week .....i ended up employing ave 30 folk ....ibought and sold worldwide had no union in my factory ...and paid at least 10 percent over union rates,,,,,,,i had machinists queuing up for jobs ...i took kids from the rathbone society ...they were from the poorest and lost of children. and trained them some turned out good some not so .... one recently dead after a shootout in spain with cops ..as i grew i put the money i made back in ...never popped it up ......i had learned lessons from my youth .....the bank owned all i had till one day it was mine free of any.mortgages or any loans .....i sent my kids to private school and ......i wanted the best education for them and it has worked.....i have paid more than my share of taxes to society.....i have bought other properties......yes my boiler might seem expensive ......but it is what is needed for my house..i have been retired for 20 years.....as for any benefits i could get a blue badge and allowance for COPD but have refused it .......i dont need it .....my only true moan is the people coming in and recieving 4 star treatment.. free heat.. free accomm free council tax ,,,free tv.. free food.. free phones.....and free lawyers thanks to cherry blair and co.....i want nothing for free ......but i dont want to pay taxes to give it to these people .....this is not a rant it is a straight forward set of facts....regards cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

well some might say that is a lot of money tony ,,,,but for 30 odd years i worked from 6 45 till on ave 6 30 pm ......but i dont want to pay taxes to give it to these people .....this is not a rant it is a straight forward set of facts....regards cappy
    exactly, I was just concerned you may have been ripped off, but wasn't aware of your circumstances. If I was loaded I would still like value for money.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 27th October 2020 at 06:37 PM.

8. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

got a few quotes tony all around the same bosch worcester i think 30 kilowatt ......can turn the heat up or down from my phone .....a friend has a property with the phone thing he rents it out a grand a week ........last year he had a couple in temp up to twenty five him putting it down they putting it up must have been like a greenhouse they rang him saying there was something wrong it kept gouing down......lol he said perhaps turn it off they said oh no its ok at 21c....we will just leave it there......i do laugh at that one .....regards cappy

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

got a few quotes tony all around the same bosch worcester i think 30 kilowatt ......can turn the heat up or down from my phone .....a friend has a property with the phone thing he rents it out a grand a week ........last year he had a couple in temp up to twenty five him putting it down they putting it up must have been like a greenhouse they rang him saying there was something wrong it kept gouing down......lol he said perhaps turn it off they said oh no its ok at 21c....we will just leave it there......i do laugh at that one .....regards cappy
    Take a look and see what you are getting then you know if installation cost is realistic (people in the trade usually get discount)https://www.screwfix.com/help/disruption/

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Taylor View Post
    Take a look and see what you are getting then you know if installation cost is realistic (people in the trade usually get discount)https://www.screwfix.com/help/disruption/
    sorry Cappy copied wrong address, look on line at Screwfix and search Bosch Worcester combis, it will give you an idea, gas ones top price £2k only oil fired get into higher price brackets

14. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Taylor View Post
    sorry Cappy copied wrong address, look on line at Screwfix and search Bosch Worcester combis, it will give you an idea, gas ones top price £2k only oil fired get into higher price brackets
    well tony my next door nieghbour has just had the same boiler fitted .....also my son .....there is also not just the fitting but taking out all the old copper boiler etc......i dont like british gas .....dont trust them .....mine is a family t,ype businness ......i recently put a new boiler in a flat in shields....1800 quid all in ....three bedrooms but only one bathroom and sep toilet thanks for your interest cappy

16. Thanks Tony Taylor, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cappy. When I worked, (in Manhatten) I lived in a very upmarket area in Connecticut, called Weston. and commuted to work, two hours each way. I had two and half acres of land, a quarter in lawn, the balance in woods, deer roaming, and heaps of birds and wildlife, game room Gym and pool table room (complete with snooker and billiard balls). Four bedrooms, indoor jacuzzi out on a sealed porch, soaked and looked out at the snow in the winter. Loved it...until I had to call in a repairman or buy something to have it installed. As soon as I responded to the question over the phone "Address?"..."Weston". I knew the price went up.

Years back, I lived and Worked in Fresno, California. There was two very large hotels there. I was the Executive Chef at one, and a good friend was the Executive Chef at the other. We were both complaining about eye strain. Harry, the other chef, finally bit the bullet and admitted to himself that he needed reading glasses. He had an exam and bought a pair, telling me the optician loved good food and Harry, told him he was the executive chef. He got the bill and told me what he paid. I phoned for an appointment, told the optician, I was a cook at the other hotel, and could I pay for the specs in three instalments, a payment each week on my payday. He agreed. I had the same eye problem my friend Harry had, got exactly the same lens, and chose the same frame and paid a little less than three quarters (as an assumed cook) than Harry, the executive chef did.

It convinced me that there is a means test done. You pull up and park outside a shop in a Rolls and driver you'll pay more for an large ticket item installed than someone driving a banger. So, park it around the corner, wear old Jeans and worn sneakers when you are bargaining.

When I'm buying a new car, and negotiating (and comparing price with other dealers), I make out I'm going to have it financed over the longest period, because the dealer gets big profits with the banks or lenders they sell the note too. When I've screwed the price down, and the papers are being drawn up. I tell them, I've changed my mind about financing and I'll pay cash. Immediately the salesman is running to tell the sales manager. Who tries to talk me out of paying cash. They end up going to the manager, repeat story, how I'm missing out by paying cash. Finally they give up and I drive out knowing I got the best deal I could.

There's not much you can do when they are coming to your house though. However it's a bummer knowing they are padding the bill.

Cheers, Rodney

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast