Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Are you an Oddball or boring?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Are you an Oddball or boring?

One of the reasons for my recent move Ivan , apart from only being here for the Beer . The old saying at sea of never leaving a bad smell behind you applies applically to other walks of life. One doesnt want to leave ones partner in a position they will find hard to manage , and knowing they will be financially and physically safe does a lot for ones peace of mind. There does come a time in life when one has to consider others in that context. Keep up the Good Life. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In that case John I am in for a very long life. Den

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I hope so Den. The same as us. But as one gets older why not give up the tasks of pulling weeds out of a garden, keeping a house with many rooms that are never used clean. Just for the sake of doing. There does come a time when a couple more so the wife deserves to be a bit more served on than serving others. There are advantages in a long life, but not wasted because one thinks that is the way to go. Weve done our bit for Queen and country nows the time to take what little rewards there are Ill take my share by watching someone else cut the grass , clear the blocked scuppers , and all the myriad of jobs and the outlay of money involved in housekeeping. Everyone to his own however it doesnt suit everyone. Only those over 55 can even think of it. I was 28 years over, but you dont get any brownie points. Cheers JS..
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 25th October 2020 at 10:00 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#14 Having a house when you're young John, gives you a sense of achievement, but later in life becomes a millstone in maintenance and keeping up your own high standards which become less and less as your body decides you are in your eighties even though your mind thinks you are a prime 30 year old specimen and your body wont function as your mind wants it to. We had the large house the acre of ground, then a smaller house and half acre, then a more or less same size house but with a suntrap large courtyard. Now in an apartment with a balcony, best move we ever made, no personal garden to worry about, we have gardens but a groundsman. See a cheap holiday, passports in hand, lock the door and on our way. No worry about how high the grass is going to be when we get home, or if all the plants have died, all our plants on the balcony are not water hungry plants, so life is a little (lot) easier, which is useful, as jobs that once took two hours now take two days

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I owned 2 houses in UK , Ivan, at different times complete with mortgages. Have had 4 houses in Australia at various times and was mortgage free when retired , 2 were complete with the statutory swimming pool , games room, etc. and all the goodies of life. The last one I had built to my design for retiring, but a 65 year old man is somewhat younger than than an 83 year old one, as the years roll on. I feel comfortable living in an area with people more my own age group than some of the present day twits. A lot are ex service men so do recognise a bit of discipline now and then doesnt go astray. There are a few ex seafarers here also , so can feel comfortable in their company if there is a need to. Life is what you make it I suppose , but dont think I will regret the move. Anyhow its too late the dye is cast. Melbourne cup next week maybe get the winner??? Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ivan, I am not ashamed to say I had a lump in my throat reading you posting about your first wife and alter years.

AS to where we live, not always an easy one.
    Did a count up once of the places I have lived in since birth, including time at sea it runs to over 30.

Here in Oz built three, we still live in the last one built in 1993.

We have made it an easy house to care for, no grass to cut all pavers, stones and succulents.

I spent 6.5 years working in aged care, it was part of a larger complex which had a retirement section for those over 60.

I know that it is not for ever one, I could not see myself living in one, but that is me.
    We will stay where we are as long as we can, maybe until that day who knows.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Thanks Ivan Cloherty, Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you John, life has blessed me with two wonderful women, even though one was snatched away so early, she didn't smoke or drink was as fit as a fiddle yet died of cancer in both lungs and the liver, life has no logic. I was blessed with understanding friends and employees, also my young daughters who knuckled down for mum and worked hard at school, college, Uni as their mum would have wanted. I am blessed with my current wife who is not jealous of my happy previous life and recently made a collage of my former wife to hang in my office, we have four daughters between us, but they may as well be sisters. Makes up for a lot of the sh*te that happened to me at times.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I got my first and only house just before getting married and we are still here. but at 32 it was great now at 86 i wish i had got a bungalow them there stairs are a ruddy bind. Den

10. Thanks cappy, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Having your own house can at time be a problem.

July 3 and after some 27.5 years the hot water system gave up the ghost.
    Next day with my brother off to Bunnings but a new one.
    Home and fit it easy only two connections, water and gas.

Up to the tip with the old one, back home and the bloody thing is not working.
    Check and find out the plastic control box has melted.

With photos back to Bunnings and show them, take another one and ring the other back.
    Easy foxed, no w working well.

Three weeks alter the heater packs up, same age.
    This is in the roof space and for those who do not know about them they work by pushing hot air around the house.

Off to the supplier and buy a new one along with some new ducting as mice have got at some of the old.
    Thankfully they come in two parts so take the old out to bits and fit the new one.
    Bit of a struggle getting it all in and out of the man hole but we did it.
    Two Saturdays spent playing plumber, but we are lucky our dad was a plumber so we learned a lot from him.

Then the old fence had to be replaced, 61 meters of which I had to pay half, but the house insurance paid for that lot.

Joys of owning a house.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Also got that Gas Heater in the Roof John, this one is some 20 odd Years old by what we can establish. Its been good though a few little glitches, that i wont at times Switch on when you press the inside Control button
    However i am lucky as my Son In Law who runs his own Business knows a lot about Electronics and has Fixed the the Panel inside the actual Heater in the Roof twice now.
    Did not replace just went all over the gizmo ? High Eletronics Board H62 (that he told me is the High end Board with a small soldering Iron and made sure all connections were ok.
    There was a little water leak from condensation on it as well, so dried all that off now covered with Plastic, so hopefully it will keep going,as i am sure that replacing that Unit (Ours is quite large) is no joke! And costly as well. But they are so good and warm all the Rooms so fast and effeciently at not much cost either, we have 12 outlets from the Ceiling so all covered.

Water Heater is also old but still going ( Touch Wood) its an Air Dux that works on the same principal as a Fridge but in reverse, very good Units but cost a lot. But worth the cash as they are very cheap to Run, in fact the cheapest i have known.

Now the old Fence, well thats another story too, in need of replacement as well but with both sides ,dont know yet when we will get to that, how did your Insurance pay for that ?? May be you can give me a pointer!
    Cheers

As you say The Joys of owning your own Home, thank the Lord we have no Mortgage !
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 27th October 2020 at 06:18 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast