Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Captain Houston's Original transcript, On the demise of his ship Dec, 1971 M.V. Harmattan.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Captain Houston's Original transcript, On the demise of his ship Dec, 1971 M.V. Harmattan.

Dennis
    Please also send your Email to me if its not correct as we have to keep your details up to date in the Members Section
    Thank You

You can send it through the Site Email , as that is more Private
    Just click on my name in any post and on dropdown list click Email
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

2. Thanks Denis O'Shea thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Captain Houston's Original transcript, On the demise of his ship Dec, 1971 M.V. Harmattan.

Quote Originally Posted by john walker View Post
    . Quite a few of the officers on the war ships were awarded medals for their heroics in the operation.
    Nothing changes U-Boat crews got medals for sinking unarmed merchant vessels

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john walker View Post
    Thanks Terry for sending me a copy of the transcript, it is a very interesting read. I tried to find other information on the Harmattan especially as to compensation for the survivors and the killed (Dare I say murdered??) there is a short interview on you tube with the ex Chief Officer at the time a Joseph Fish and a few bits on other Merchant Navy sites from various ex crew. There are even the questions asked by John Presscot M.P in parliament at the time but nothing more about compensation to the men who deserved it. I found a site called the TSG (The Sunday Guardian) which had a full report in an Indian newspaper Headlined 'Mission Impossible' Revisiting the glorious victory of operation trident. Which was the name given to the sinking of one Pakistani gun boat and 3 unarmed merchant ships including the Harmattan by 3 missile ships and two frigates of the Indian Navy. Quite a few of the officers on the war ships were awarded medals for their heroics in the operation.
    As has been mentioned John, This episode was glorified by the Indian Navy in fact to this day they celebrate Navy day which coincides with this attack a lot of what was on youtube a few years ago has been taken down, The Indian Navy sent a few hundred naval officers and ratings to russia to learn Russian they then conveyed messages between themselves in Russian the Pakistan Navy basically had no chance. I remember when we went back alongside in Karachi who by that time had surrendered the port was absolutely obliterated the stench of death and fire was unbearable i remember seeing the fuel tanks mentioned in the Captain's report go up in flames from our anchorage point he does state J@C Harrisons sent him a message to sail away from the area which sadly he never received. I remember our skipper upping anchor and sailing south into the abyss of the Indian Ocean i cant remember how long for but we were well clear of the bay of Bengal. Distinctively remember the vast Indian Ocean was like glass, But we were along side in Karachi on the day of the attack and someone i take it ,it was the ships agent warned us to slip our moorings and sail the minute the dockers were finished work that night. Had we not got that message i probably wouldn't be typing this as for the medal ceremony during the war u--boats sank the enemy that was all part of war we never considered ourselves the enemy of either India or Pakistan we were as the Harmattan was in the wrong place at the wrong time, Not that that would bring the families of those who lost there lives any comfort. But i still maintain the Indian Admiralty had no reason to target Merchant Shipping from any nation Terry.
    Last edited by Red Lead Ted; 8th September 2020 at 09:24 AM.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Please forward PDF to 'barrygee@razamataz13544.plus.com' Thanks.

7. Likes Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would like to say this, The reason i have sent so many of these files to anyone who expressed an interest, Is partly so that no one person can exploit the file and make money from it, I am fully aware that ex seaman from other sites have requested and received the file enjoy the read the more the better the only thing i don't want to see is someone printing the file and selling it or trying to on sites like EBay which has happened before so beware lads the file is out there in the hundreds. Lets keep it with those who deserve and understand it Serving and ex Seaman, Regards all Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi all,
    Are there any surviving members from the Harmattan that I can speak to and ask a few questions about that night? My grandad was on that ship and unfortunately passed away on the 16th of October, 2022. my dad is a member of this forum known as Thurst73. He had previously mentioned my grandad here, but I was pretty young at the time (2012). I am a bit older now (23), so I would like to learn more about that faithful night. Or maybe family members of someone on the ship who knows their story from that night. I will also attach a picture of my grandad below.

Any other help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Brandon.

IMG_1018 2.heic1024_1.jpg

10. Thanks Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Brandon
    Sorry to hear of your Dad,s passing Condolences!
    Just one thing though i cannot find that Username you quote (Thurst73) as his on this Site ?? I have checked our Admin Section.

Have you got it correct?
    Thanks
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Vernon.
    Reads like the sort of user name they use on another site.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Hello Brandon
    Sorry to hear of your Dad,s passing Condolences!
    Just one thing though i cannot find that Username you quote (Thurst73) as his on this Site ?? I have checked our Admin Section.

Have you got it correct?
    Thanks
    Cheers
    Hi, sorry for the confusion I had copied what I had posted on another forum looking for people. This is the link for it if you’re interested.
    https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/threa...ew.7053/page-2
    Again I do apologise for the confusion.
    Thanks.

14. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3