Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Captain Houston's Original transcript, On the demise of his ship Dec, 1971 M.V. Harmattan.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Captain Houston's Original transcript, On the demise of his ship Dec, 1971 M.V. Harmattan.

If you could please attach a copy of the pdf file it would be much appreciated.
    I was ashore in Liberia at that time and never heard of that attack.
    wdandy63@gmail.com
    Last edited by Roger Dandy; 2nd September 2020 at 02:42 PM. Reason: wrong email

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Captain Houston's Original transcript, On the demise of his ship Dec, 1971 M.V. Harmattan.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dandy View Post
    If you could please attach a copy of the pdf file it would be much appreciated.
    I was ashore in Liberia at that time and never heard of that attack.
    wdandy63@gmail.com
    Sent Rog, Regards Terry.
    {terry scouse}

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Terry very kindly sent me a copy and it is well worth the read.
    Sure he will send to any one else who is interested, he is after all a Liverpudlian and they are some of the best.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Thanks Red Lead Ted thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wll lads i got a great response and sent out dozens of the Files i got some good feedback from most of the members special thanks to Ivan, The guy knows his stuff alright and has actually worked with a few people and companies mentioned in the File,Alot of the lads asked how the survivors of the Harmattan got on after the incident. I have to date only found one survivor of the Harmattan Rodney Marsh the ships electrician, I was told on another site that the surviving crew were well looked after along with there famiys as a lot of them never went back to sea again i was told this by a family member of J@C HARRISONS Who actually took the phone call when the ship was attacked he told me how he shed tears and was unable to speak on the telephone it hit all the employees very hard indeed. I asked him how the survivors where looked after by the very successful company, OHHH He said the hulls insurance was split amongst them they wanted for nothing. WRONG.............. The ships electrician told me the survivors where landed asap given £100 compensation and a flight back to the U.K. And left to there own devices, I would rather he had been honest ,with me in the first instance shipping companies saw Merchant seaman as ten a penny and only ever had there own interests at heart. Then when i paid off after 12 months and reported to the pool while i was actually on leave searching for answers regarding the survivors neither the Shipping Federation/ The semans union/ Or Anchor Line could give me any answers in fact they where questioning each other as to whether they new or heard of the M.V Harmattan. Totally disgusted i thought long and hard about ever going back to sea, However i did until 1980 but always wondered about the survivors and there well being, It was only after putting a post on this forum that it was picked up on by Captain Houston's family hence the answers i yearned for in the file sent by his dear old sister to myself. Whom i will be forever in her debt. I believe we where and still are the UK that is sending so much of our GDP in aid to both these countries the mind boggles and if you read the file you will notice at the end Cap Houston mentions the ships bond was locked in the mast house of hatch 5 which was obviously rifled along with the crews cabins, Captain Houston fully deserved the MBE Bestowed upon him and more for the tenacity he showed in overseeing stabilizing his ship and cargo that was unloaded i dont think every skipper would have shown those qualities and hung around as long as he did. May he his sister and those who lost there lives carrying out daily duties aboard there ship R.I.P. Regards lads and thanks for the interest shown on this a very special day in our calendar Merchant Navy Day. Terry
    Last edited by Red Lead Ted; 3rd September 2020 at 11:20 AM.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Terry could I have a copy. Rgds Den

8. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Denis O'Shea View Post
    Terry could I have a copy. Rgds Den
    YOU MOST CERTAINLY CAN DEN, Send me your email by p.m Terry.
    {terry scouse}

10. Thanks Denis O'Shea thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sent Den, best of health to you and Val mate Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Terry sorry but made a balls up of my mail address that one was from years ago, don't know how that one jumped out of the memory box,Iv'e tried to get into the outlook address but they say it has been deleted because I hadn't used it for over a year. ...Rgds Den
    Last edited by Denis O'Shea; 6th September 2020 at 08:11 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Denis O'Shea View Post
    Terry sorry but made a balls up of my mail address that one was from years ago, don't know how that one jumped out of the memory box,Iv'e tried to get into the outlook address but they say it has been deleted because I hadn't used it for over a year. ...Rgds Den
    Den, Let me know as soon as you have an email sorted, I will send the file asap Terry.
    {terry scouse}

14. Thanks Denis O'Shea thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Terry for sending me a copy of the transcript, it is a very interesting read. I tried to find other information on the Harmattan especially as to compensation for the survivors and the killed (Dare I say murdered??) there is a short interview on you tube with the ex Chief Officer at the time a Joseph Fish and a few bits on other Merchant Navy sites from various ex crew. There are even the questions asked by John Presscot M.P in parliament at the time but nothing more about compensation to the men who deserved it. I found a site called the TSG (The Sunday Guardian) which had a full report in an Indian newspaper Headlined 'Mission Impossible' Revisiting the glorious victory of operation trident. Which was the name given to the sinking of one Pakistani gun boat and 3 unarmed merchant ships including the Harmattan by 3 missile ships and two frigates of the Indian Navy. Quite a few of the officers on the war ships were awarded medals for their heroics in the operation.

16. Thanks Doc Vernon, Red Lead Ted thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast