Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Running In

middlemount and bundaberg queensland australia
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Running In

learning how to heel and toe 'cos the handbrake is US and you stopped on a hill, happy days.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

my first was a little standard 10 indicators flicked out the sides and the engine that you could lift out easy with 2 hands like a noddy car..jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes our old cars certainly got us around, but not without incident, and in the end never anywhere fast and in the winter with no heaters and windscreen wipers about 4 inches long, not a very pleasant experience, I wonder how many of us would swap our modern comfy motors for the 'gud ole days'

Count me out!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had just paid off a Star boat in 1956 and in the alehouse, had a few pints.
    A Man shouts,"Who wants to buy a car", me shouts "How much", man. £10, me, "I jave only got £7," That will do " he says"
    heres the log book , its outside , Morris 14, 1937, here is the key. and he disapears.
    At closing time I stagger out, Its there.
    I had never ever driven a car before in my life.

I got the engine started and banged it into bottom gear and set off, three miles home in bottom gear, all through town centre past the Police station and got home. managed to stop outside the houe.
    I learned how to drive it NO Licence or insurance,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In 65 one of my classmates had a Bedford Dormobile with sliding doors. The wipers did not work so whoever was the front seat passenger had to pull a string, connected to the wipers, back and forth to operate them.
    He finally got rid of it and bought a hearse, passengers would take turns to stretch out on the plinth whilst slowly driving along the main drag in So. Shields

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had an old Hillman side valve engine model which overheated one day. I opened the bonnet and found a small hole had developed in the water jacket. Luckily I found a small paint brush with a round wooden handle in my tool box. I hacksawed a two inch length off the handle and chamfered one end to fit inside the hole. I then tapped the wood into the jacket gently, got water from a house which was nearby, filled the radiator and after letting the engine tickover I found my wooden bung had stopped the leak.

Regards from
    Fouro.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Memories are coming back reading these posts, as Fouro says "Tool box" it was almost obligatory in those days to carry a tool box and torch,
    no mobile phones and only a telephone kiosk, but how many belonged to the AA in those days?. One evening we were playing darts in our local'
    we heard a loud melodious rumbling noise right outside, we all went out to see what it was, and what a wonderful sight it was to see, a huge
    Bentley Blower, British racing green complete with leather strap on the bonnet, it was just ticking over, but the sounds were so sweet, tappets
    jingling away and a really throaty exhaust, wonderful piece of machinery, they were built for the 1924 Le Mons 24 hour race, the driver was a
    proper Toff but very friendly and taking great delight in telling us about the car, never seen one since in real life, and not to be forgotten. cheers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fouro did you ever use the trick of using mustard powder to block small leaks in the radiator. Den

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I once saw an amazing thing when I was a kid, it was 1948/9, I went to the local shops just around the corner, as you all know there wasn't much
    traffic at that time, and nearly every car/van was painted black, so it really grabbed my attention when a big colourful Shooting Brake came along,
    it stopped at the traffic lights opposite to where I was standing, I had never seen anything like it before, it h a big bonnet and the back half was all
    wood and glass, as I stood there admiring it, a lorry came down the road and didn't stop for the lights, it ploughed straight into the back of the
    Shooting Brake, that resulted in an explosion of wood and glass splinters, I couldn't believe it, that lovely car was reduced to a chassis with seats
    on it, right in front of me, cheers
    Last edited by John F Collier; 20th August 2020 at 10:58 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just thought i would add this Link as it shows my list of Cars i have owned in the Years gone by!
    Cheers

https://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/...ossibly-5.html
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast