Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting older

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Getting older

We are all getting older with each day that passes. At which age do we accept the inevitable and buy a cardigan and rocking chair?
    The world we were born into has changed so many times over the course of our lifetime, we are all living longer we are fitter and healthier than our grandparents. But unfortunately some things never change, we still live in a deeply divided society. A huge chasm between the privileged and the underprivileged still exists, perhaps it has grown even wider. Our governments still spend vast amounts of the countries wealth on the arms race which never reaches the finishing line.
    I look at other people of a similar age to me and compare myself to them. Some are walking stooped over and appear to have given up on life. Others like the Rolling Stones, who are all older than me, are still jumping about the stage like teenager's. It is only when the cameras zoom in on their faces that the age shows. Joe Biden at 78 is running to be the next US president and the world's most powerful man.
    This brings me back to the beginning, is it the cardigan and rocking chair or do we say there is plenty of life left in the old dog yet?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Getting older

Woof Woof, I hope.
    Graham R774640

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have always been active.

My hobby and exercise in my twenties to mid thirties was running. Once a month I would run the mile on a track against the clock. The rest of the month I would do five miles, 220yds wind-sprints the 440yds jogging and repeat, coupled with floor exercises. That came to an end when I blew my knees skiing. Next came walking five miles daily and exercises. I wore my feet out and my back, next came bike riding ten miles a day and exercises, then I moved to the city and an apartment and had to ride my bike on a three foot sidewalk (pavement?) going over a long bridge over railroad tracks. There and back was five miles. In order to avoid pedestrians I had to ride at 5:15am. I had attached a light to my helmet as it was dark, and look out for obstructions on the sidewalk.

Today, was a sad day for me. I lost control of my bike going over the bridge and fell off the sidewalk into the road. Luckily no cars or trucks were near and I could climb back on the sidewalk, shaken, but uninjured except for my pride. This actually was the third time I had come off in the eight months I've been riding this trail. I suddenly realized I'm too old, at eighty-three, to ride a three foot wide cement strip with a wall one side and traffic the other. I've pushed my luck. If there had been traffic i could have been killed.

My, biking and cardio-vascular exercises are over. Knees shot, feet shot, back shot, doesn't leave much does it...and before some smart ass asks, yes that's bloody well shot too.

I'm not a happy camper.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! Rodney

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

An old guy I met today just happened to mention that there are some very nice cardigans for sale on eBay Rod.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rodney, try an exercise bike, much safer, you do not fall off, or get injured, no traffic or pedestrians , no weather,

I have used mine for years, no probs.use it for around two hoursv a day.
    and spend a bit on my heavy dumbells lifting.
    I was 85 years old last June and am fit.
    During my seafaring life I have, broken my ankles twice, my legs three times, two in Nigeria, my left leg crushed and the hospital Doctors in Saudi were going to amputate, until I hobbled out of their hospital, a Broken arm, five broken ribs, a broken collar bone and torn ligaments , by an Elephant seal in Antarctica. a broken thumb, fell downstairs in a Greek bar
    Two cancers cut out, Malignant Melanomas.
    Also 124 stitches.in various parts of my body
    apart from all that I am extremely fit and healthy.
    On my last annual medical check up the Doctor said I was fitter than most 50 year olds.
    So I am going to live until I die.
    Hopefully after my 105th Birthday Party.
    Cheers
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We all get to the stage when life stops giving and starts taking, most of us has good memories to fall back on, remember the good times
    and absent friends, however bad you feel, there is always somebody worse off, never give up and keep positive , cheers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#5 How ye all doing now 'Lucky'

As for me (and my wife ) We're still rock n rollin, salsa, American Smooth, and were asked to do an exhibition rumba/salsa at a friends 95th birthday before lockdown, and he'd just done a stint as Master of Ceremonies at an Old Time Musical, so I say never give up. However this lockdown has curtailed our activities but I ain't ready for the cardigan and rocking chair just yet. I always think if I wake up and see the ceiling I'm already 100% ahead, the only time to worry is if the ceiling is wooden and six inches from your nose.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For me well i still feel like i am 25 and try to keep as fit as i can now after my big op last Year.
    Do a lot of Golf again and am in pretty good shape for 80 i feel.
    Lots of people remark on it when they learn my age.

So hopefully will stay on track as i am now for a good few more Years.

Must try that Dancing lark! LOL
    cHEERS
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My paternal grandad was a grand old chap, he and grandma were both still very active when grandma had an accident, she
    Was standing on a chair hanging laundry over a ceiling hung airer, she fell from the chair and her leg was broken, she was
    90 at that time, she was in hospital for a long time, they put a steel pin in her leg but said she would never walk again.
    After 75 yers off marriage and fathering 9 children, grandad was suddenly alone, he pined for his wife and passed away aged 95
    Whilst grandma was in hospital, grandma did walk again with the aid of a stick, And lived for a further 5 years. we were all convinced
    He would have made his century if not for the accident, he was a clock maker of long case chiming clocks among other types, I
    Have always been very proud of him, when you think of the tough times they had, he still bought his own house. Cheers
    Last edited by John F Collier; 19th August 2020 at 11:00 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Working with those who are not so well as i do in the local Community health Center where I volunteer is a good way of keeping with it.
    You see others, often younger, who are not so lucky.
    It makes me understand how lucky I am still to be as fit as I am.

Much in my opinion is in the mind, so many reach retirement with the attitude that I can no longer do that.

I attempt to do all I want, I give every thing a go, if I fail so be it, but i tried.
    So many do not even attempt to try.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast