Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Getting older

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Getting older

John, I think you are at Southend, right? I saw a little program on the pier. I thought it had another fire and was out of action, but it looked like it had been repaired with trains running? I also saw that the reproduction of Sir Francis Drake's Golden Hind was gone. Do you know what happened to it?

Rodney, former townie

Ps. I lived on St. Leonard's Rd. and went to Southchurch Hall High School for boys. I think they called it High School because it was built on a wee hill.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

The replica ship was replaced by a replica of Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge, which was demolished in 2013.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The first thing I do when I wake up is to stretch my elbows out and if I don't feel wood I get up. Rgds Den

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Mills View Post
    John, I think you are at Southend, right? I saw a little program on the pier. I thought it had another fire and was out of action, but it looked like it had been repaired with trains running? I also saw that the reproduction of Sir Francis Drake's Golden Hind was gone. Do you know what happened to it?

Rodney, former townie

Ps. I lived on St. Leonard's Rd. and went to Southchurch Hall High School for boys. I think they called it High School because it was built on a wee hill.
    No I don't live in Southend Rodney, I live in a nice quiet spot away from the day trippers hot spots, but it is nearby in the direction of Westcliff.
    I've been to Southchurch Hall a couple of times, but only to the grounds, it's a lovely old building. Well it looks like Keith has answered your
    question about the Golden Hind for me, there is a proper replica of the Golden Hind berthed in St Mary Overie Dock at Southwark London, his
    shup is the real deal, it has followed Drake's footsteps and completed the circumnavigation, it is now open to the public and also used for wedding
    receptions. When Drake completed his circumnavigation in in the 1500s, he landed at Plymouth to unload his cargo of all the goodies he swiped from
    the Spanish, then he sailed for London, Drake sailed past Southend on his way up to Deptford Dock East London, when Elizabeth 1 came aboard to
    knight Drake, she requested that the Golden Hind should remain at Deptford for the people, so the Golden Hind was probably our first museum ship.
    The ship remained at Deptford until about 1640 when she was broken up because her timbers were so rotted, the best wood was saved and used to
    make tables and chairs which still exist in certain buildings around the country. This is from memory so apologise if there's any mistakes, hope you are
    getting on ok Rodney, all the best, John PS I only go into Southend for the pier to board the Waverly or Balmoral for a trip up the Thames,
    sad to say I haven't been there for some time now, but as far as I know the pier is ok, according to the Echo, Southend's beaches have been
    packed as we have had some very hot weather here. cheers.
    Last edited by John F Collier; 22nd August 2020 at 12:09 AM.

5. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just wondering JFC what happened here as this Text is way down below your post??

hind was probably

the
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

7. Thanks John F Collier thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Is the Roslin hotel still open, an old haunt at Westcliff?

Then great Lobster Thermidor, though cockles and such at the sheds were so delicious and fresh.

Not been that way for a while but, on the bucket list.

Keith.

9. Thanks John F Collier thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Just wondering JFC what happened here as this Text is way down below your post??

hind was probably

the
    Not sure of the cause Doc but the WiFi signal has been terrible this evening, very intermittent while doing this post, I have walked away
    from it a couple of times in frustration , ,seems ok now cheers.

11. Likes Doc Vernon, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith at Tregenna View Post
    Is the Roslin hotel still open, an old haunt at Westcliff?

Then great Lobster Thermidor, though cockles and such at the sheds were so delicious and fresh.

Not been that way for a while but, on the bucket list.

Keith.
    I don't get out too much nowadays Keith and with the lockdown many pubs etc have been closed, are you sure you are not thinking of
    Leigh on sea rather than Westcliff, as Leigh is quite famous for it's cockle sheds next to the Peterboat pub, the old part of Leigh is a lovely
    place to spend an evening, cheers

13. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Fond memories of Southend, the Roslin, pier, cockle sheds and so much more.

Just a memory recall:

Southend Kursaal Funfair. (1969)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_3gHTLZn10

15. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Sorry the cockle sheds were at Leigh, the whole area to us was Southend then.

K.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast