Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Getting older

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Getting older

Don't despair Rod #3. I last rode a bike in 1963 so have taken the car ever since when going more than about 3 kilometres. Here in NZ oldies (over 70) have a 2-year drivers licence and most often don't know if the Doc is likely to say 'No more" when renewal time comes. At 89 I've just bought an electric scooter - 3-wheeler - though 4 would be better for stability. This gets me to nearby places, and hopefully back home. It's a useful gizmo and will be handy if I now have my final licence which expires next Jan. No problem riding between your wall and road, plus others will think you are disabled so leap out of the way dragging their kids with them. Just everyone will stop at walkways (Ped crossings) allowing you to wave thanks enthusiastically. Ride around inside stores or padlock the scooter to a lamp post and walk in. Different way of travel which I'm getting used too.
    Ken T
    R412277

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Captain Kong Re. Stationary bike.

Been-there-done-that. No disrespect, but about as rewarding as watching paint dry or a tap drip. It drove me nuts. I lived in Connecticut and the winters were pretty bad and in the country the roads were not cleaned of snow frequently. I had a huge basement in my house and I built a recreational area. A billiard room, a sitting area for card games and such, and a gym, complete with mirrored walls, so you could pump iron and admire rippling biceps, problem was no matter how much iron I pumped they still looked like a sparrows kneecap.

..I'm built for speed anyway.

I digress. I bought a stationary bike and was bored to death. I gave it away. I think I would rather take Louis's offer of a cardigan thank you.

Cheers, Rodney
    Last edited by Rodney Mills; 20th August 2020 at 04:49 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Rodney when I had the house I found the stairs were pretty good exercise, now in a bungalow with everything on one level and artificial grass lawns
    means that I get a lot less exercise, and of course the lockdown stuff isn't helping either as I do enjoy my walk along the seafront. But I think that if
    you eat healthy and sensible and simply keep on the move, when in your eighties that is suffice, I suppose it depends on what type of work your
    body has known in your working life, wear and tear on joints etc, it all adds up so maybe our bodies need a rest at this late stage in life, for me, I'm
    still taking a daily dose of codliver oil and my joints are fine, I only go to the doctors for a flu jab each winter and long may it last , cheers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rodders, if you buy one of those cardigans it will put years on you, only old guys wear them.

Keep yourself busy, do what you can when you can, keep the mind active and the body will survive.

Do not consider the sofa to be your friend before the sun goes down, you may take a small medication, Brandy or Gin are acceptable, when the sun is over the yard. remembering that it is always that way some where in the world at any time.

Do not be sucked in by any of these pay now die later funeral packages, use the money now and worry about it later when in the morgue.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Very good advice John. The brain controls our bodies, it can give many negative thoughts that are so easy to comply with.
    What is the point of getting up today I have nothing to do. Why bother having a shave and shower no one cares or notices what I look like.
    Do not fall into this trap, you will be digging a hole you will not be able to get out of.
    Only listen to positive thought's, which can be hard to do. There is always something to do if you look for it. Get out the shower in the morning look in the mirror and say I look good today. Think back to all the happy times and all the stupid things you have done. You were traveling the world when most people thought a week in Benidorm was a great adventure. Try to keep mind and body active there is still so much we do not know. If your brain says you can't do this certain thing give it a go, perhaps you can't do it but you have tried and what does it matter anyway.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Louis the fly View Post
    . Get out the shower in the morning look in the mirror and say I look good today. .
    Wise words Louis, but can I borrow your mirror, mines crap!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mirrors always work better if you don't put your glasses on

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Rodders, if you buy one of those cardigans it will put years on you, only old guys wear them.

Keep yourself busy, do what you can when you can, keep the mind active and the body will survive.

Do not consider the sofa to be your friend before the sun goes down, you may take a small medication, Brandy or Gin are acceptable, when the sun is over the yard. remembering that it is always that way some where in the world at any time.

Do not be sucked in by any of these pay now die later funeral packages, use the money now and worry about it later when in the morgue.

No good keeping cardigans in the wardrobe clothes hangers don't feel the cold.
    No good sitting on a kitchen chair when you've got a comfortable leather sofa.
    No good drinking brandy or Gin if you prefer whisky.
    No good being selfish spending all your money and leaving your family to pay for your funeral.
    So now I'm going to relax wearing my cardigan, sitting on my sofa and enjoying my whisky until hopefully it will be a long time before I've got to foresaid these few luxuries.

Regards from
    Fouro.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The word foresaid in above post should be "forsake".

Fouro.

10. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've always done my own window cleaning, but a couple of years before I moved I started getting some problems with my balance, I decided
    that for safety's sake, it was time to stop climbing ladders so I bought a window cleaning pole, it has detachable heads such as a brush, sponge
    and squeegee, also has a soap reservoir and connects to a garden hose. When I moved to the bungalow, I brought with me, not for thth windows
    but for the fascias and soffits which I did do a couple of weeks ago, I cleaned all of the UPVC frames and doors also the garage door, thankfully I
    finished before the heat wave came, the place is shipshape and looking good, "if you know soogee like I know soogee" , with time to rest on my laurels, and with the weather so hot I thought I'd go for a long missed walk along the front, I went at 7:00, it was very warm and a light breeze,
    I didn't go too far, just to a bench where I sat looking across the estuary, lovely and quiet, I only saw one dog walking it's person and had the whole
    place to myself, a group of Cormorants flew past just a few feet above the water, I love watching them, they remind me of the Dambusters film, when
    the Lancs were on their low level bombing runs > . I moved to this area 58 years ago, and whenever I had the time I'd go to the seafront for
    a walk, over the years I've picked up some unusual things that have washed up, I've found parts of aircraft aluminium panels, twisted and torn
    and still with the tiny rivet holes, obviously from the war as the records say that over 100 aircraft from both sides, were lost during the war years.
    When I first moved here from London in 1962, I would often see the ships that I knew going on their way to the docks or outward bound to some
    far off land, my house was two miles further up river and still very close to the river, laying in bed of a night time, I could hear the throb of ships
    engines or the sound of foghorns when it was misty, I love this place, I never tire of my memories, cheers
    Last edited by John F Collier; 21st August 2020 at 05:21 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast