Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Racism in Australia.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Racism in Australia.

Given the political polarization, identity politics and racism that exists in the U.S. today, it started me wondering about the indigenous people of Australia. This was prompted while watching a docudrama on Netflix about a man sent to a penal colony in Australia back in the 19th century or thereabouts. He eventually escaped and after a year or two on the run, he was welcomed into an Aboriginal tribe. He lived with them for over 30 years. It was a true story I believe. It got me wondering about Aboriginal life today in Australia. Are they treated with equal rights and enjoy the same privileges of other Australians?
    They always appear to be a relative peaceful people. Anyone want to enlighten me about this topic please.
    Duke Drennan R809731

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: Racism in Australia.

Will be interested, will ask a few rellies down under.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Duke, we have persons from about 190 countries around the globe.
    We are according to many the most intergrated society in the world.
    There have been many such stories as the one you saw, and despite much of what you may hear the Abbos in general are doing very well.
    As in any society there will be the few who claim they are locked out.
    But there are so many who have done well become useful members of society in all walks of life, we even have them in parliament.
    Generally speaking we have one of the highest standards of living, highest rate of house ownership and one of the best medical and social assistance schemes of nay where.
    There ae estimated to be somewhere in the region of 30 to 50,000 potential migrants waiting to enter the country.
    All have been granted an entry visa but the virus put s top to flights, but they will come in the next year or so.

Take no notice of comments from those who have never lived here , you have to live here to fully understand us, we are a very different lot to many in the western world.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 29th March 2021 at 05:44 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

4. Thanks Duke Drennan, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, Ivan Cloherty, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Duke, further to my first posting to give you an idea of how some of the Abbos behave.

In USA Red Indians can only go to 1/16th then they are no longer considered to be of that blood.
    With the Abbos there is no such limit.
    We have some with less than 1/100th blood but when it suits claim toe be Abbos, mainly when it suits for benefits of any sort.
    As previously said the greater majority of about 98% are happy with what they have, the rest are nothing more than activists who use it to their own ends.
    Every January 26 we have Australia day, well all celebrate apart from this minority who call it invasion day, the day the British landed.
    Even the date is wrong to some degree as when the first fleet arrived they did not all arrive at once, sailing ships are like that.
    The first arrived on the 19th and a party went ashore to find as suitable spot for all to land.
    The actual landing took place on the 25th according to some records.

These few do attract others, mainly those who want a republic.

As said most do well, working in many industries, the only true ones live in the Northern Territory, and drink a lot of beer.

When the white man arrived it is estimated there were about 250,000 to maybe 500,000 no one can be certain.
    They were spread across the nation in tribes many of whom never met any other.
    But they all had a few common assets, the Boomarang and the Woomara, and being hunter gatherers.
    Why when they never met, because at some teem they all came from a land further up the oceans when the ,land mass was just one.
    It split away over time with the various tribe split apart as well.

Racism as many call it is often the misunderstanding of the other and not always meant in bad way.
    Sadly most of the racism is from the few Abbos who do not like the whites.
    They have received over time more assistance than many whites, but have abused it.

Also in the mix is those of the Torres Straight island which is Australian territory.
    Most forms ask if you are one of them or an Abbo.
    There was an instance a couple of years ago when a guy put down he was from the islands
    Questioned by someone from the missing link who claimed he was a fraud, but though white through and through he had ben born there to white parents working there.
    They had to honor his claim.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wont go into this Subject but can say i agree with what is said by John except one thing John
    There is a much lesser Percentage than 98% who are Happy with what they have, i put it at somewhere in the 60% .
    Thats me done here!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

7. Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Vernon, percentages can vary but on the whole most here are satisfied with the way things are.
    Down in the Men's Shed here in Sunbury we had at one time a 3/4 Abbo as one of the members.
    He was mad on those who he said gave all Abbos a bad name, the small minority he said who do not know when they are well off.
    Sadly he is no longer with us.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes John
    Good and bad in us all. Wont go on but had a Friend (An Aboriginal) working with me at TAFE years back in Granville, he was of the same mind as the one you talk of, so know about that side!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

11. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have sailed with 2 out here and both worked for their living one was getting on in years and was a rig worker but had the same traits as anyone else .The other was a very outspoken educated younger seaman and the only person he didn’t get on with was the Norwegian captain who was retained on board as a supernumerary and offically had no dealings with. This one lived in Sydney and disclaimed his own people and spoke the truth also.he was an ex International Rugby Union player who had received damage and had to give it up , a very nice bloke and well respected by most , except the foreigners on board . JS
    R575129

13. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This came from our very good mate John S in WA.

It shows just how stupid some of the comments and actions of minority groups can be.
    Not sure about other states but here in Victoria the hidden agenda and the invasion story are big time with the minority at certain times of the year, January 26 being the most notable.
    But this man tells the truth and how it really was, there is enough written evidence of that written at the time.

This is a comment written by a John on the Daily Telegraph page who has an Aboriginal Ancestor.

On 26 January 1788 when the First Fleet ships unloaded their 1200 convicts, Royal Marine Guards and Officials, not a shot was fired by anybody.

As they looked around what's now Circular Quay they saw nothing other than bush.
    Not a single building, planted field, domesticated plant or animal - nothing at all. It was the same across the continent.

It was "terra nullius" - a vacant land.
    There was no Aboriginal Army to defeat in battle.

There was nothing to claim as the spoils of victory.
    There was just wild bush.

The few Aborigines who came out to have a look at these strange people were completely illiterate and innumerate and those on the south side of the harbour spoke a language completely unintelligible to those on the north side of the harbour and they'd been constantly at war with each other for as long as anyone can remember.

There was no "invasion".
    Captain Phillip was instructed by the government in London to treat the natives "with amity and kindness" and he did.

No Aborigines were shot; no platoon of Marines fixed their bayonets or loaded their muskets or took a shot at anyone who emerged from the bush to see what was going on. Instead they offered them gifts and friendship.

Most people now "identified" as "indigenous" - like myself and my children and grandchildren have European - mostly British - ancestry to a greater or lesser extent.
    I recently had a DNA test done that shows I'm 48% Irish, 20% English, 30% Scandinavian, 1% Spanish and 1% Aboriginal.

The absurdity is that, in this time of identity politics, I am an "Aborigine" by virtue of the fact that one of my Irish ancestors married an Aboriginal woman 6 generations ago.

There is no reason to change Australia Day. It was the day "Australia" came into being and had it not been for those British coming ashore on 26 January 1788, I wouldn't exist and neither would Mr Mundine.
    The name "Mundine" (Warren) is as English as a cold pork pie or fish-n-chips wrapped in newspaper.
    It's time for all indigenous people to get over what happened 229 years ago and stop playing the victims...
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

15. Thanks j.sabourn, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes vic mcclymont, Ivan Cloherty, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    It's time for all indigenous people to get over what happened 229 years ago and stop playing the victims...
    Well that's not going to happen John, it's too convenient and advantageous in being a 'victim' and as for all those wanting to go back to their roots, they wouldn't survive!

17. Likes Captain Kong, N/A liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast