Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: It never rains but................

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default It never rains but................

The Virus came and life changed, the community center where I volunteer closed most services so no going there.

What to do during this long, now 5 month lock down and counting, four more weeks to go.
    So find some thing to do was the challenge.

Well first buy a chain saw and cut down three dead trees in the back garden, good firewood for the winter.
    Then what, well all the varnish in the house needs a fresh coat to bring it up a bit, why not only 15 doors plus all the kitchen, bathroom, en suite doors, window fittings, skirting boards etc. Good to do in the wet weather.

Then SWMBO said why not put a wooden floor down in the dinning room instead of carpet. Ok, so off to Bunnings.

Then she finds dozens of other jobs to keep me fit, not sure what for though.
    Wants two fans in the spare bedrooms, spend half a day up in the roof space putting them in so my brother the sparkie only has to connect the power to the switches.

So far so good.

Then Friday July 3 the hot water service, some 27 years and 3 months old gives up the ghost.

Call the brother, mate you got a job to do in the morning.

So there we are, Independence day July 4 and off to Bunnings,
    Yes pick up a hot water service, use one of their complimentary trailers and of we go.
    Out with the old in with the new. Very easy to change over just two fittings, water and gas.
    Load the trailer with the old one and off to the tip with it.

Get back home the bloody thing is not working, check it out and find the controls are all damaged at the back.
    Photo shoot and back to Bunnings, no worries mate take another and ring the other back.

No worries works like a charm, then the fence man arrives as we need new fences all around, how much, mate I only want mine not the whole bloody streets.

All fine, booked in and then this morning a scream from the bathroom, no not another Huntsman to get rid of!

No there is no heating!!!

Up in the roof space again, heater not working, try as I may no go, it has had the gong after some 27 years and 4 months, did a bit better than the water heater.

So now have to wait until about Wednesday for new one to be fitted, good job we have the log burner.

Got to go, need to chop some wood.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: It never rains but................

Well the time is now nearly here, as on Friday we get our new Ducted Gas Heater replacement.
    And a good job too as Today the Weather has changed to Wet and Cold, so been sitting indoors all day with Oil Heater on, and with the Big space it takes ages to warm the entire place, better than naught though!
    So roll on Friday! They start at 8.15am and are due to complete the Job ( Removing old Unit, and replacing the New Unit) by1.30pm.
    Yipeeeee! Warmth again for the coming cold Winter!

Must be a good Friday, as i know someone who may be partaking in a few! LOL

Mum is the word for now! LOL
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 4th May 2021 at 07:25 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

well doc i hope it makes a change as much as mine did on renewal in dec ....the house up to any temp i require and a bill reduction for the winter quarter from 450 quid last winter to 250 this quarter ....i knew the old boiler was struggling but the difference is incredible.....plus a thermostat which i can control on my phone from any where in the uk ....what a difference from a two bar electric years ago and coal for sixpence a bucket of the miners down our street ....i recall being sent in the middle of winter to get a bucket of coal from mr hymers down the street....she would say come back later ...i would go back later she would say he is asleep come back later ......then he is in the boozer ....eventually a bucket for sixpence ...then we had to take a lump of coal each to school for the classroom fire but we grew upsturdy and strong on fish and tatties ......plenty fish in shields in the 40s very cheap .....funny world i can get a ribeye steak for the same price as a fresh haddock these days...any way enjoy your new heat ,,,,,regards cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks cappy , yes i am sure it will make a big difference, however the old Heater was very good while it lasted. Heated the Entire 4 Bedroom Home with no Probs, and as said could control Temp to what we needed it at!
    This new one coming has all the Bells and Whistles though, and am sure will be a lot better ?
    Cheers

R697530

5. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Vernon, do not be surprised if it takes a bit longer than the time quoted, my guy began at 8 and took until about 1.30 to complete.

But the new controls, extra $200, is great, can set for any time of the day to come on, good when you are out and does not have a pilot light.
    So far a lot cheaper to run as well, but we had 27 years out of the old one same age as the water heater.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As far as Controls go, there will be not too much difference from out old one, only thing that will be is that the new one can be set in Zones if you want it. Can be handy i guess but me well i will just keep to using it manually as i did the last one. Switch it on when needed and off when done! I will never ever use it on Timer when i am out of the House, even if its safe as they say, but i have known cases where things go wrong, and up goes the House!
    As they dont take long at all to heat up, it is better to just keep it on Manual i think! Thats just me though!
    Cheers

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We only use the early morning one, comes on about 0630 hours to take the chill off the air.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well you would'nt believe it! Yes as said it never Rains but it ______ down!
    Its 7am here Friday, and has been Raining like Cats and Dogs since Yesterday Morning, and its the day that our Heater is supposed to be fitted!
    I now have little hope of that happening , as how can they with so much Rain!
    If we had a larger Manhole Cover, that would have been the answer, but at only 58 X 55 cm not large enough to get the parts through i guess!
    But as yet nothing concrete, as they are due to arrive here at 8am. So only then will i know what the position is!
    I am sitting here now with everything crossed and look like a tangled Octopus!! Grrrrrrr!!!!! LOL

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So see i spoke too soon.
    The Workers arrived at 7.30am earlier than expected, and with it raining the Main Man measured the Manhole and said that he could install the new Unit through there, but the old Unit as it did not come apart could be shifted to another section of the Roof Cavity.
    So that is what they have done, no drama, and all is now completed in some 2 hrs 30 min the Entire process done and dusted!
    We now have lovely Warm House again with the Temp set on a nice 23 Degrees.
    Will now just use it manually, so when finished just switch off.
    I am extremely pleased with what has been done in the time.
    Cheers

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You are very lucky there Vernon, firstly let me inform you that using the term man hole is no longer permitted it is an inspection hole.
    If the WOKE police see this you will be inside in no time.

But apart from that, yes they can go through a small hole now but leaving the old one where it is may in time cause problems for you.
    Ours took time as it did go through the roof as the old one like yours could not be done in parts to fit through the hole.

But ours, and I hope yours, is situated on a floor on the beams takin g the weight evenly.
    Putting the old one just on the beams may in time create a problem for you.
    I would ask them to come bac on a sunny day and take the old one out, the cost of removal would have been in the price.

But 23 degrees, man you must be cooking with gas,!!!!
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

14. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast