Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default China, Your views.

Reuters
    Democracy activists' books unavailable in Hong Kong libraries after new law
    1 hour ago
    Travel agents resort to hard line tactics to get out of a refund
    Bradley Walsh shares chilling message Tommy Cooper sent him from beyond the grave
    a group of people looking at the camera: An anti-national security law protester holds a banner reading "Chinese communist party is shameless, break the promises" during a march at the anniversary of Hong Kong's handover to China from Britain in Hong Kong© Reuters/TYRONE SIU An anti-national security law protester holds a banner reading "Chinese communist party is shameless, break the promises" during a march at the anniversary of Hong Kong's handover to China from Britain in Hong Kong
    HONG KONG (Reuters) - Books by prominent Hong Kong pro-democracy figures have become unavailable in the Chinese-ruled city's public libraries, days after Beijing introduced sweeping national security legislation, according to online records and one activist.

The law, which came into force on Tuesday night at the same time its contents were published, punishes crimes related to secession, subversion, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces, with punishments of up to life in prison.

A search for books by young activist Joshua Wong or pro-democracy politician Tanya Chan on the public libraries website showed the books, including "Unfree Speech," co-authored by Wong, either unavailable or under review.

"The national security law ... imposes a mainland-style censorship regime upon this international financial city," Wong tweeted on Saturday, adding his titles "are now prone to book censorship."

The national-security legislation has been criticised by pro-democracy activists, lawyers and foreign governments who fear it would be used to stifle dissent and undermine freedoms the former British colony was promised when it returned to Chinese rule in 1997.

The day after the law came into effect, one man was arrested for carrying a Hong Kong independence flag.

On Friday, the local government declared the slogan "Liberate Hong Kong, revolution of our times" illegal. And a man who had driven a motorcycle into police officers during a protest and carried a flag with that message was charged with terrorism and inciting secessionism.

The city’s Leisure and Cultural Services Department, which runs libraries, was quoted by local media saying books had been removed while it was being determined whether they violate the law.

Local and Beijing officials have repeatedly said the legislation would not curb freedom of speech or the media, nor any other rights in the city. The new law, they said, only targets a few "troublemakers."

It is unclear how many books are under review. Two titles by Chinese Nobel Peace Prize-winning political dissident Liu Xiaobo were still available, according to the online search. Bang out of order in my opinion Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: China, Your views.

China will do what China wants to do regardless of world opinion

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is right Ivan.
    the sleeping tiger is waking up and could make a mess of the world.

Terry ,,,,What did Tommy Cooper say to Bradley Walsh????
    Brian

Keith at Tregenna Guest

"Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are 5 people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother Colin. Or my younger brother HoChaChu. But I think it's Colin."

Just Like that ...

Joke from the late and great comedian Tommy Cooper.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's clear that China has broken the agreement it had with the UK over Hong Kong, but what do we do?
    Take China to an international court, they would ignore any ruling against them.
    Go to war, I think not.
    Only way that we can influence the Chinese is to hit them where it hurts - their pockets.
    But, before we can do that we must invest in our own technology companies and cut our reliance on the Chinese.
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Totally agree Vic, money rules the world, it will take some stopping with the Chinese, we have all been used to cheap clothing, cheap electrical items, and you will not stop the younger generation from buying these items, witness the photos from last nights drinking crowds, doing their own thing regardless, and the police helpless to control, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    That is right Ivan.
    the sleeping tiger is waking up and could make a mess of the world.

Terry ,,,,What did Tommy Cooper say to Bradley Walsh????
    Brian
    {Just like that } Brian i only had to look at Tommy Cooper and without him saying a word i would be in stitches laughing. Don't make them like him any more RE Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

UK Relations with China are being strained over H.K. The U.S.A. Trump are hell bent on blaming China for the world pandemic. Czech Republic have reportedly purchased virus tests valued at $2.15 million from the Chinese and showed false positive and false negative results. The test works for antibody testing, a hygienists reported, but otherwise is not reliable. It appears that they can do what they want in todays world Terry. p.s, Did the bible not state that the last race on the planet would be the yellow race
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Terry, many years ago a friend of mine worked for Concorde Cables.
    They bought their copper from China, the number of times the copper was declared not for purpose was unbelievable. When Concorde complained, the reply was skip it, we'll send you some more.
    Vic
    PPE was a prime example of Chinese failure to comply with standards. Now we rely on China for electronics, laptops mobile phones etc.
    Last edited by vic mcclymont; 5th July 2020 at 07:50 PM.

10. Likes Red Lead Ted liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lead Ted View Post
    Did the bible not state that the last race on the planet would be the yellow race ::
    Sounds like a jaundiced view!!

12. Likes Tony Taylor, Bill Morrison, j.sabourn liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast