Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Statues

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Statues

why not have a list of every black on black murder every month throughout the world to present to the black lives matter? when will we learn EVERY LIFE MATTERS, JP

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

'Swing low sweet chariot', but not any more.
    According to news here in Oz the song used by Rugby team will have to go, along with a few others that these 'rebels' think are racist.

But suddenly here in Oz history is to become a valued university course, bit later now mate as it has all been rewritten anyway.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

History can never be changed, you cannot go back however you can see from it where a lot of terrible actions and beliefs came from. The main thing would appear to me, to be the desire for wealth and power which divided the world into those that have it and those that don't. Those that don't of all colours and creeds will always, even by todays standards, be vulnerable to exploitation and ill treatment.

Those of the colonial period certainly exploited the poor and uneducated to further their wealth and power but were seen not as baddies but as goodies, because they gave people employment and in some cases, places to live, albeit the cheapest that they could supply with the least drain on their resources.

They often did pass on their wealth to cities and towns to further their appearance as good, kind hearted people, which was often far from the truth and those on the receiving end of their exploitation, servants, slaves, workers, did not have the means to cry for help and show them to be what they really were as to do so would mean loss of jobs and possibly lives.

There was no media as we know it today and the newspapers of later times were owned by haves, heavily loaded in favour of the powerful and wealthy, so perpetuating the myths surrounding these people and producing the prolification of the statues we have today, errected by an ignorant misinformed populace.

I have no problem with the statues of the likes of our Kings and Queens, our leading Admirals, Generals and Military personnel that led us to victory, often at the expence of their own lives but I can now see that the statues of those that made their wealth and obtained their power on the backs of the unfortunate and needy, should be confined to museums where their true story can be told rather than the myths of ignorance which surrounded them.
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 19th June 2020 at 03:38 PM. Reason: punctuation.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

5. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Swing Low Sweet Chariot, Paul Robson will not be amouldering in his grave, he will be smouldering, don't these people ever read ,or listen to anything or anybody. And does this mean that the soul singers in America will not be singing it anymore?
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Our PM states:

RE: prohibition on singing [Swing Low, Sweet Chariot]".

"Nobody, as far as I'm concerned, seems to know the words," Mr Johnson said.

“Before we start complaining about Swing Low, Sweet Chariot, I’d like to know
    what the rest of the words are,” he said. “You go ‘Swing Low, Sweet Chariot,
    coming for to carry me home’, and then it all dies out. How does it go on?
    That’s my question.

There we go, problem solved!

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Chris, you make some good points there.
    But in a number of instances the local population have benifited from colonization often brining the natives into the real world.
    Such was the case here in Oz where the white man found stone age man still living. Thankfully it was the British who found them and not some other nation who at that time may well have done them great harm.

But all statues should remain with attachments explain what they did and why.
    If we are to improve relationships between the various parties, and explain the truth, we must make the effort to ensure future generations are shown all of this.

If we allow them to be removed, just on the whim at the time, then we are being governed by the minority which bodes ill for democracy.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Thanks Chris Allman thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I say let's take down Stonehenge, the Druids didn't build it, it was probably their slaves , also it will save £millions as there is a plan to widen the A303 by digging a road tunnel under it, very expensive! but if we knock it down and build on the surface we will get the road much quicker

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

is this BLM group going in africa they took all the farmland off the white farmers now they are starving there sort the problem out there first how much aid is going is some ones ar.e pocket and not to the people it was ment for that to me is the most racist thing you can do let your people starve? jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In 1973 I flew to Jamaica to join a ship.
    My driver from the airport to hotel (then back again two days later to retrieve lost baggage) was an elderly Jamaican guy with typical Jamaican easy going attitude, nice guy. He also took me to join my ship after waiting 3 days or so.On my first full day I decided to take a walk but got no more than 200 yards and after being shouted at, sworn at and finally had stones thrown at me, I returned to my hotel.
    It was a long drive from Kingston to Port Kaiser and the latter part was through scrubby, rough land you would not imagine on Jamaica. He told me that very few people lived there, some had never seen white people, mainly Rastafarians who didnt bother anyone not like other parts of the island, I then told him of the treatment I received on the streets, to which he said he was not surprised.
    He then launched into an attack on the government (theirs) and the way things were at the time; he topped it off by saying I wish we were still run by the British, things were much better then. Makes you think?

13. Thanks Captain Kong, Keith Tindell thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#102.... After all Ivan it does say in the Bible “ Thou shall not worship False images “ , what are the opinions of the clergy , if any, of the the present horror scenes in the UK ? JS.
    R575129

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast