Thread: How sick

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default How sick

The thread on Health and Safety got me to thinking about my time as a Winger and some of the non OHS things we did.

When you are up the wall with two sittings of ten, the first is slow going out and you need to relay for the second sitting.
    Glasses which had been used for water should have been washed, but time did not permit so a quick wipe with the waiters cloth and back onto the table, same with tea cups that had only had black tea or coffee in them.

Cutlery that had not been used was left in place, if desperate after a quick did in the plate powder dip to remove stains dip in the water jug on the table.
    Even seen water in glasses put back into the jug.

Steaks to be cooked at the table, the blood upset the winger for some reason, no worries mate just stamp on it and kick it around the galley deck before cooking.

Plate powder in the Tomato soup to keep the bloods away for a couple of days with the back yard trots was a common practice.
    There were many others as well all practiced without a thought.

Yet with all of that there was never a ship wide event of sickness, but today with all the hygine practices it is quite common to see an outbreak of Noro Virus on cruise ships.

Maybe there was more natural immunity back then, as they all survived.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Likes Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: How sick

I wont go into this as it is not a Topic we want to start the dreaded word off again,so for now all is OK. But please do not start another Episode of you know what ( Refers to ALL) Any inclusion of it will mean the Total Deletion of this Thread.

Just to add a wee something,i guess things like that did happen, but i myself can with all honestly say i never once did that. All my Tables were always in First Class condition, spotless Cutlery, Shining Glasses and the rest.
    Anyway if anyone ever got caught practising that sort of thing i can assure you they would be in for the High Jump. Two Sittings of Fourteen each, on the Winchester and Stirling John!
    And it was hard as you know ,but we always made it and did our best!
    Hard days but worth it all, cannot say i ever regretted it .
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

4. Thanks N/A, Chris Allman thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can remember a certain rude and bombastic junior engineer get a dose of ' run for your money ', after loudly, very unfairly and publicly having a go at one of the saloon stewards because his fried egg was cold. Spent a couple of days looking at either the deckhead in his cabin or the toilet cubicles in the engineers bathroom. I think he got the message OK. What did they say ' Plate Powder ' efficacious in every case.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

AH talking about cold fried eggs - memories of the Bridge Tray come flooding back. Crinkly sandwiches of stale cheese, cold fried eggs and mock crab abounded. How we never went down with the ' squitters ' I will never know. I always had mine as a young 3rd Mate as I needed feeding or so I thought.

Does anyone else have fond memories of the Bridge Tray.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#4 Certainly have memories of the bridge tray, wouldn't say were fond! especially when the contents were sandwich spread which always looked someone had eaten it before and regurgitated it.

#1 great advert for cruises, bet the cruise operators would love it.

8. Thanks Chris Allman thanked for this post