Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Drydock=Hospital

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Drydock=Hospital

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Keever View Post
    Using the term " SICK BAY " likely would have been met with a quizzical look. Flash back to 1918. While tragic today, this is old business with a new twist...
    Looks a bit like accommodation nsts Gravesend circa 1955.
    R635733

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rather think but not sure which, but a vessel in Quarantine would be a 2 or 3 flag hoist saying so. There being no single flag hoist saying so , apart from the Q flag , which used to mean as stated previously by pulling down showing that clearance had been granted. Cheers JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Signal flag "Lima" called the "Yellow Jack" which when flown in harbor means the ship is under quarantine. A quarantine is a restriction on the movement of people and goods which is intended to prevent the spread of disease or pests. At night you would display 2 red bright lights on the fore stay.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Red Lead Ted; 29th March 2020 at 10:27 AM.
    {terry scouse}

4. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

New one on me , L used to be you should stop I have something important to communicate. I asked in an earlier post was there any changes in the International code flags. So others will have learned also Thanks JS.

6. Thanks Red Lead Ted thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just wondering about 'distancing' could be difficult aboard ship and would vessels still be able to enter port to load and unload.
    R635733

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Normally I would have said no. A ship went to a designated quarantine anchorage and remained there until it was cleared medical wise. Depending on the port authority’s it could even be held if it had a de-ratification certificate too far out of date , and had no excemption within reason. The de- ratification was a signed up document and listed inspections and fumigations principally for rats which could carry the plague.6 monthly inspections by. Port health officials used to be the criteria,.going into port with a dead body was automatic quarantine at one time until the cause of death was known. That’s why you didn’t go into port with such unless you wanted delays. Ports of refuge which internationally at one time which a country couldn’t deny as was an unwritten or maybe was a written law to give succour to the crew of a vessel , and safety of life at sea has always been predominant. Failing to answer a distress call used to have consequences , can’t see that as having been changed . Morals today though have , so maybe old maritime laws have changed with the times also, who knows. If you remember going back in time in most ports you didn’t go down that gangway until that Q flag came down. So all the talk about refusing vessels entering port limits especially by the media I take with a pinch of salt. Our premier in WA although he has changed his tune about letting them into port should have known better being an ex navy man , however he was in the legal profession in the Australian Navy, so maybe thought he could change a few laws to cover the situation. Cheers JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 29th March 2020 at 01:17 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ref #15 - John - L Lima flown in harbour means " I am quarantined " when flown at sea it means as you said " You should stop your vessel instantly "
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

10. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks. K was you should stop your. Vessel instantly . and L as stated. As said asked in a post if anywere changed from my time of certificates. I am going back to 1957 when had to know all the single flag hoists and the ones that could be used on the lamp.. if I didn’t remember K it was impressed on my memory. Banks when the master of a ship I was on who didn’t know where Dakar was called me on the Bridge at 0200 to read the lamp of a Chinese warship who I later found out had been flashing K and later U you are standing into danger , I arrived on bridge he was flashing I am about to fire , so I put the wheel hard over, and on a 4 knot ship it takes ages to answer.. We were on the wrong approaches into Hong Kong after being unable to get into Saigon which was another port of refuge.. The same master didn’t have a clue about Morse code and was dong the 2 mates watch as we had not had one for 9 months . Cheers JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 29th March 2020 at 03:10 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Terry
    Are you sure those two red lights weren't your eyes peering off into the port.
    Des

13. Likes Graham Payne, Red Lead Ted liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Des, you mean the bottle of Port I assume.

On a cruise ship couple of years back sailing out of Freeo and we were under quarantine but all that flew was a yellow flag, nothing on it.

Dengue fever, we get a bit of it here up north in the hot and humid weather, mainly wet season in NT.

Why a 12 week lock in, have you committed some awful crime?????????????????????????
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast