Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: UK - Three Week Lockdown

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default UK - Three Week Lockdown

Well Lads and Lasses - we are now right in it. Locked down at home for three weeks - time to do outstanding jobs at home ( oh heck ) - time for fights with you know who ( oh heck ) no football or sport to watch ( oh heck ) - have we got enough booze ( oh heck ) - have we got enough food ( oh heck ).

Now then lets think of the positives - stay in bed longer ( oh yeah ) - stay in bed longer ( oh yeah ) - err stay in bed longer ................................. ah yes have a lie in ........err

Ah well - we will just have to make the best of it - spring is coming, time for a potter in the garden for those who have one, time to do the odd jobs around the house that have been put off for some reason or another - how about writing a story on your life at sea - or in fact your life before and after your life at sea and put the stories on site. Tell us whats happening to you at home - the clean bits Tell us how the lock down is effecting you.

Lets have some hard quizzes and I mean frustrating ones which entail some research - there is a lot we can do - lets do all these things and this will soon pass and we can get back to normal life or life as we used to know it.
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 23rd March 2020 at 09:41 PM.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: UK - Three Week Lockdown

Agree with many Points thee Chris,especially lie in a bit later.
    Now Irene is Working from home (normally we get up at 4.44am) now getting up at 7am Yipee!

We too have now no Bars open ,most all Resturants are starting to close and can only sell Take Away and limited Customers allowed in at a time.

All non essential things now closed such as Cinima , Live Shows ,Church Services and some Parks and the Beaches are now as well starting to close with quite a few already done.

No Sports now like you , even the great NRL that was hoping to finish the Season is now also closed.

Local small Shops and the Butcher here in Blackheath are open but with only two Customers at a time allowed in. Went out early this Morning to get a Leg of Lamb, cost me $33 !! Butcher said they delivered 50 Legs Today at 7.30am i got there at 8.15am and he had 4 left!

So here i am at home now ,just come from the Garden trying to get my Grass edges done. did only a section and then the Rain started,Damn!! But its nice and cool now and plenty of thick Fog rolling n.

So after this will go and watch the Box! What else is there! LOL
    Keep well all wherever you are .
    Cheers
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 23rd March 2020 at 11:48 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice one Chris, we need some humour on the site , when on the NZ/Aus run general cargo, crew of about 60, at sea for six weeks, maybe
    some people today would see that as isolation but for us it was a way of life. Most of the crew in general had lived through the war years and knew all
    about making their own entertainment, simple things like a medicine ball brought exercise and usually a few laughs, for me a cargo ship was like a small
    Hamlet at sea where everyone knew each other for six months at a time, we were a band of brothers, I've never seen the like since coming ashore.
    To my mind the war brought families closer, with fathers returning from the forces they all needed to bond again, a winter evening for us would be in
    the living room with a coal fire going, sometimes it would be mum playing the joanna or a favorite radio program, we also played cards board games
    ans a shove halfpenny board and even simple games like "I spy with my little eye", we grew up in a different world from today and knew how to help
    ourselves overcome hard times, three weeks indoors with all of today's array of Home Entertainments should be a doddle even for Snowflakes, cheers.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Our Government gave people too much leeway from the beginning.

It was quite clear that the vast majority were going to have to be forced to do the right thing with attitudes like “it’s only a flu” flying around everywhere...

Wonder how many of those who were queuing at Tesco’s to panic buy loo rolls were the same people at the beaches or climbing Mount Snowdon on the weekend!!!

Keith.

5. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good Idea JFC
    I think i will get my dear Wife to learn to play that lovely Card game of Cribbage, i used to play a lot of that and have not had a game for Yonks!
    Love the old Battleships as well. Cheers

R697530

7. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We have not reached the stay at home stage yet.
    Schools closed today 3 days early for Easter break.
    Normally supermarkets and shopping centers would be full of them, no where else for mum to take them.
    But not today, very quiet and shelves being filled.

We have been told not to go on holiday during this period and not to go out.
    But there are no restrictions on getting in the car and going for a drive which we do every Sunday, anything up to 500 kilometers for the day.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes John
    Thank goodness for the Drive mate!
    As each Week End i love to go for my Sunday Drive, i just Veg ot in the Car and enjoy the scenery, what would i do without that ?

Its to me very relaxing as well, as i just take my time no Speeding or reckless antics , and when i get Home feel that i have had a really good day out!

Only thing that at times keep me from the Drive is the Weather,as i do not like driving if the Weather is too bad with Fog and Rain ,makes it too dangerous as well for me anyway.
    Cheers

R697530

11. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doc 5, Cribbage, now that brings back memories, i joined the Durham Trader in October 1962, we were bound for Cuba for sugar, of course we all remember the Cuban crisis , so we were turned round, steam South while waiting for another cargo. Whilst this was on reduced speed i taught two of the lads cribbage, my father had taught myself and my brother as youngsters. We played cribbage whilst waiting for new orders, many many games a day, in fact they were hooked on cribbage, i would come off watch, and shortly a knock on the door, and there would be one of them with the board and cards. To make a change, we would play a game to win, and then a game to lose, which is quite hard to get your head round, trying to wreck your hand, throwing the 5s into your mates box etc. After losing contact with those two mates, i managed to meet them both after 43 years, one lives in Nelson BC, and one in New Zealand. When i met Denis in BC, one of the first things he asked me was , do you still play crib, and then quoted *one for his knob*. Ah happy days, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#8.. And one fr his knob Keith. Put that up before noticed you already had it there. Tried to erase without success so your stuck with it . Did you play it where you had to finish exactly with your score going in the last hole. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 24th March 2020 at 10:58 AM.

14. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Likes Graham Payne, Chris Allman liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here in Oz we are in the middle of what could be a major crisis.

Breweries have been told they are not essential services and may have to shut.
    Problem is it will take a couple of months after restart before any beer can be produced.

There could well be riots in the streets if this occurs, take the life blood away from a nation and you will have real problems.
    No beer for three months, you must be having a lend of me!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

16. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, Bill Morrison liked this post
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast