Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: UK - Three Week Lockdown

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: UK - Three Week Lockdown

#104... Colin there have been cases of suicide over here before the virus, of fifo workers who couldn’t stand the strain of being away from home for two weeks. I have written to papers in letters page saying what I think, the papers however will never print such as I feel on the subject. Is not P.C. And might interfere with all the stories that they can make up about such. If we had earned the money that they get for the hardship of being away from home for 14 days , we would all be millionaires today. I used to do out here 6 weeks on and 6 weeks off, and thought they were schoolboy hours , most times the 6 weeks off never materialised unless I did a vanishing trick with no forewarding address. However I never turned a job down if I could help it. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 4th July 2020 at 07:12 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#104, Colin, totally agree on my 22 month trip I don't think it affected me mentally, although others may disagree! Chingwantao was one of the delightful ports we visited, may as well have been on the moon, armed guards with you as you read the draught and even having to show your pass to get off and on the gangway when reading the draught. Armed guards in the accommodation, no shore leave....where would you go?. All hell broke loose one night when the cadet when lowering a derrick let it run free (not on purpose I may add) the topping lift was on a ratchet system and he had tied it back for some reason, it was the outboard derrick and fell across a shore power line putting the quay and elsewhere in darkness, the power line had one good thing it slowed the fall of the derrick so didn't bend it, in a few seconds with sirens blaring and red lights flashing we were surrounded by armed troops and barbed wire rolled out and the vessel ransacked whilst they searched for sabotuers (never could spell that), anyway we (officers) were all made to write letters of apology to the people of China for disrupting their lives and well being, doubt many of the people we were apologising to even had electricity, things didn't get better after that. The next trip to Chingwantao I fell off the top of the shiny wet hatch onto the deck about 10 feet and fractured my wrist, I was taken by army jeep on a two hour drive to the nearest hospital with an X-Ray machine, accompanied by armed driver and guard, spent a few hours in the hospital whilst the staff were shown the 'round-eye' about 50 students surrounded the x-ray machine all looking at me as an object of curiosity (I've left myself open there!), just strapped it up and sent me off, I was glad to be back aboard...……..different days

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just a small additive to any of my posts for those not familiar with the term Fifo, is not the name someone may call their pet , but stands for “ fly in , fly out “ workers. Refers to workers who work in industries in more remote parts of Australia where the only way of conveyance is usually by air. jS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ivan , I can say I know of two instances of slightly longer trips for trip lengths , one was a fellow apprentice who was away for 5 years , as was in the Far East when his indentures expired after 4 years but had to wait for the current Articles to expire which was a further 12 months.
    Another case was when working for Chowgule was flown out to Philadelphia where the mate had been damaged crossing the Pacific when the deck cargo shifted , the ship at the time had British officers and Chinese crew. The 2 yearly Articles had expired in Japan but the Europeans were quite happy to resign an agreement that they would be relieved on the eastern seaboard of the USA. Which put them finally at 2 years and 3 months. I made sure 12
    Months was stipulated in my case in the Articles , as it turned out it was over 13 months.the ship was the Maratha Endeavour and finished up with only 3 Europeans on board. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 5th July 2020 at 04:25 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Just a small additive to any of my posts for those not familiar with the term Fifo, is not the name someone may call their pet , but stands for “ fly in , fly out “ workers. Refers to workers who work in industries in more remote parts of Australia where the only way of conveyance is usually by air. jS.
    Derived from the English FIFO - Fit in or --off
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 7th July 2020 at 10:37 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lock down , no worries mate

Here in Melbourne we have five high rise tower blocks, mainly with those from non English speaking backgrounds, and a few others.
    Found out it is alive with the virus, of the 3,000 residents they haver found 53 at just one block. Still testing the others.
    So what do they do, bring in plod and lock them all inside for 5 days.
    Now these blocks are full of drug addicts , alcoholics and goodness knows what else.
    One guy attempted to escape but was caught and taken away!!!!

So now we have 8 post codes in lock down for four weeks.

Our less than honest Premier, dictator Dan said in the last election speech he would create new prison for Victoria, well he has done that with all the state prisoners as all other states have closed their borders to us.

Pity he would not take FIFO with a one way FO.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As our News has it John there are nine Towers ,with the 3000 Locked In.
    Also see now that the Border between Vic and NSW will be closed from Tonight.
    Your cases have risen dramatically in the last day to the highest since the start of all this at 127 in a day with two deaths.
    I only hope that this can be curbed as soon as possible otherwise this is not going to be good at all.
    You keep safe and stay Alert !
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Rellies e.mailed that: The Victoria-NSW border will close at 11.59pm on Tuesday.

This will be policed on the NSW side of the border.

K.

Sorry Doc, seems you had posted as I was typing.

Stay safe all.
    Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 6th July 2020 at 06:41 AM.

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    As our News has it John there are nine Towers ,with the 3000 Locked In.

You keep safe and stay Alert !
    Cheers
    Yes Vernon, 9 not 5.
    We are so P15ssed off with our so called premier we tend to get a bit over heated about this.
    But he is a prize ****wit with bells on.

When asked why he was not using the ADF forces medical persons to assist with the lock down, most suited to do it, he replied, 'the police did not ask for them'
    You are the premier DH, show some common and allow the health people to deal with it not the bloody useless polis
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 6th July 2020 at 06:54 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Victoria you are safe.
    Our state dictator has just announced that for the next six weeks all metro Melbourne will be locked down along with one shire.
    This will kill many businesses and many will never recover.

All this because some 0.0006% of the global population have passed with the virus.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

14. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast