Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: UK - Three Week Lockdown

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: UK - Three Week Lockdown

#41. Yes today that film 3 weddings and a funeral would be 3 funerals and a wedding. JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well I hope to get Brownie points .
    Shampooed the hall and living room Carpets .
    What do you think then .
    Ron The batcave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    John, yes in Japan now cleanliness is perfect, but not always like that.

Times may have been tough then but we survived and by going to sea became the self sufficient people we are today.
    Yes well I remember the the old tin bath and carbolic soap John, the houses on the estate where I was born and grew up on were all built in
    the Victorian era, the house we lived in during the war was a two up two down end terrace, a very small and simple house with two bedrooms
    stairway, the front room and living room the scullery was one step down from the living room which had an iron cooking range, the scullery had
    a Butler sink, gas stove and a mangle the larder and some cupboards with the tin bath hanging on the wall and the outside toilet. The house was
    bombed and partially destroyed, we were rehoused at Friern Barnet for the duration and returned after the war, the house had been repaired but
    still had the tin bath but it was now on a floor level base and had a tailor made wooden worktop. when dad was demobbed we moved round the
    corner to a much bigger house with a proper bathroom with a toilet, pure luxury for us. When we moved I helped dad to take the smaller stuff
    to the new address using my uncles builders hand cart, we had lost a lot of our home in the bombing so maybe not too much to take, many will
    agree that our parents had a hard time and most of them handled it well, cheers.
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 27th March 2020 at 11:20 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The house my great grand father lived in Sunderland had the old Dutch Oven, but his daughter produced some amazing meals from that.
    The dunny was 'out back' in the yard, fine until the middle of the night.
    He was a riveter in the ship yards and had built much of the furniture in the house.
    When he passed we had the job of clearing the house, had to break it all apart to get it out.

But had there been a lock down in those days I think they would have managed far better than some of the younger ones of today.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Likes Captain Kong, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Our young are proving themselves essential here.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #47. John if you remember and were in Japan in earlier times , all human excrement was used as fertiliser on plants and vegetables. Everyone’s doing it picking their nose and chewing it.? As kids and was unfortunate enough to have a bath in the house , you had to have one once a week whether you needed it or not. If you ever did that tour round Shakespeare country were told they got a bath once a year and were coated with goose fat and resewed into their clothes. Probably when they got bathed was when they caught their colds. Cheers JS
    Believe it or not, I still sing that and others that we changed the lyrics of as kids, "With the parting of her stays both her t*ts went different ways
    and left me lonely nights " sad to say I never got to see Japan John, I stayed on the NZ/Aus run far too long, you reminded me of when my mum
    and dad left London to followed the family to Essex, they rented a bungalow in a rural area, their nearest neighbour grew all sorts of veg and fruit,
    she used to give mum rhubarb when it was ready, mum made pies, tarts etc then they discovered that the woman used excrement to feed the crops.
    The bungalows had thunderboxes in the back garden and she did't have a cesspit, they were disgusted and never touched it again . Yep we went to
    Stratford upon Avon in the 80s it was a lovely place to see with all the old timber framed Tudor buildings, we had the guided tour but think I would
    have enjoyed just having a wander around the town. I've always thought what a smelly lot they must have been in those old days, and often think
    of these things when watching a Hollywood version of England's medieval era, but who would want to see it as it really was ?, cheers.
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 28th March 2020 at 02:10 PM.

8. Thanks Eamonn McCarthy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just an update on the News here
    We are now in Lockdown only 2 People allowed to be together if in the Open, this is changed from the 10 before!
    Only essential Shopping Groceries,Doctors etc.
    So now i can have a good rest! Yipeee! LOL
    I know this is all serious Lads just looking on the bright side!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just to cheer you up.
    With restricted air travel, Donald Trump, Boris Johnson, Angela Merkel. the Pope and Greta Thunberg must share a plane. Suddenly all the engines cut out, but there are only four parachutes!
    "I'm the smartest man in the USA," Trump says, "and am needed to make America great again."' He takes one and jumps .
    "I'm needed to sort Britain out," says Boris Johnson, he takes one and jumps. "I need one as the world needs the Catholic church," says the Pope, he takes one and jumps.
    Angela Merkel turns to Greta Thunberg: "You can have the last parachute, I've lived my life. Yours is just starting, and we need you to lead the world on climate change action."
    "Don't worry Chancellor," say's Greta. "There are two parachutes left. The smartest man in the US just jumped with my backpack.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes Vernon, lock down is in place.
    But we have been told we must get fresh air and exercise so yesterday we went up to Ballarat, one of the original god mining towns here in Victoria, and walked the 6.5 kilometers around the lake.
    Not that many about so never got close and personal with any one.
    Today, we went to a cemetery where my bother in law, his wife and mother in law are interred.
    Lovely sunny day, no one about and the locals did not want to mix with any one, not a sociable lot there.

Tomorrow I to go to a shopping center to pick up some printer ink.
    The guy who sells it from a small stall has been told he is an essential service and must stay open.
    Apparently with so many working from home he will be needed to supply ink to them.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 30th March 2020 at 05:55 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

12. Likes Doc Vernon, Bill Cameron liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Indeed John
    Many places like that around here as well,possibly a bit futher to travel but non the less once there lovely Walking . There is also an old Gold Mine that i love to go to very small and quaint on the way to Portland !
    Bust besides that many Walking tracks around close to home in these ever now once again Beautiful Blue Mountains! Ah! The clean Fresh Air!

Amazing how fast the Green has returned , and with the early Morning Fogs we get it is most satisfying !
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

14. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast