Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: UK - Three Week Lockdown

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: UK - Three Week Lockdown

I don't know how many of us still have the milkman call ?, i don't, but what a boon he was in that time that seems to have gone. He had apart from milk and cream, chicken, vegetables, bread butter etc etc. I guess its our own fault as we shop in supermarkets. Also as a kid i remember going for Mums shopping, the shopkeeper got the items as you read Mums note, sugar was weighed and put into a paper bag etc, so there was no hoarding by grabbing things off the shelf. just sat here in my isolation reminiscing, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Allman View Post
    Hi John - just got a slot for ASDA however it will not let me checkout - phoned my bank and they said the fault was on Asda's site nothing to do with me or my bank. Guess what you cannot get to talk to anyone at ASDA so my slot is only reserved for a short time if I cannot checkout I lose the slot. What a wonderful world.
    That's a blow Chris, only thing to do is keep trying to contact them as it may be that they are overwhelmed at the mo, hopefully things will
    improve as they become more organised, they haven't experienced anything on this scale and the logistics must be pretty daunting, hope
    you get sorted soon, it's a worrying time for all and especially people like Brians sister who maybe too proud to ask for help, cheers.

3. Thanks Chris Allman thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    I don't know how many of us still have the milkman call ?, i don't, but what a boon he was in that time that seems to have gone. He had apart from milk and cream, chicken, vegetables, bread butter etc etc. I guess its our own faultkt
    Early morning milk deliveries in the UK were banned by an EU Directive as the working hours contravened regulations and no other EU countries at that time had doorstep deliveries, the start time came under the 'Unsociable Hours Directive'. Most milkman had two jobs and they liked the 5 a.m. starts as the could start their other jobs at 8.a.m. Came into force late 1970's therefore not too long after joining.

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The story of my life at sea is told in my Merchant Navy Series available on Amazon.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 24th March 2020 at 10:52 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    I don't know how many of us still have the milkman call ?, i don't, but what a boon he was in that time that seems to have gone. He had apart from milk and cream, chicken, vegetables, bread butter etc etc. I guess its our own fault as we shop in supermarkets. Also as a kid i remember going for Mums shopping, the shopkeeper got the items as you read Mums note, sugar was weighed and put into a paper bag etc, so there was no hoarding by grabbing things off the shelf. just sat here in my isolation reminiscing, kt
    I was a milkman working for United Dairies before we moved to Essex Keith, it's true they did carry a lot of groceries but if it was perishable, it had
    to be pre ordered by the customer. I know a lot of Firemen had jobs on the side, as said before my cousin was a fireman and he had some nice little
    earners on the side. I expect there were some milkmen with jobs on the side but in my experience most didn't finish until about 13:00, yes we did
    start at five am but the first job was to load the Float with the days stock, the rounds in London were very large and in places like Haringay there
    could be two ot three families in one house "The Windrush Effect, the journey to your round could be a few miles and milk floats are not known for
    their speed so things may have been different depending where you lived also maybe a bit more to a milk round than you may think?, it was
    a good job though, I only left when we left London for Essex and that was one of the best things I've done, I couldn't stand living in London now
    it's been taken over by aliens, cheers.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

I asked the six year old son of a relative
    earlier, why did he think the Schools were
    closed.

He thought for a moment and replied with,
    I think they run out of toilet rolls.

K.

9. Likes j.sabourn, Charlie Hannah liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Pub With No Beer, written on the back of a serviette in a London café by Rolf Harris many years ago.

There is one small company here in the bush areas going back to milk deliveries.
    Most of our supermarkets have the first hour of the day for seniors or those with disabilities and will deliver to same.

Toilet rolls still missing in some though shelves are beginning to fill again.
    Large number of retail shops closing up for now, thousands laid off.

But some companies such as our Telco is taking more on for now as are some of the banks.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Seems all those that denied this world crisis originally,
    can see it for real now. Hope lessons have been
    learned towards climate etc.

k.

middlemount and bundaberg queensland australia
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

not seen rice on sale for a few weeks now, went to local IGA for my mushy peas and asked about rice, a complete shelf full of 5kg bags of basmati rice, which is the only rice we use. keep us going for a few weeks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rolf Harris did not write A pub with no beer John !!!! Fake news ??

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast